Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They'd have to kill a lot of people to frame Pete, though. All his classmates who were threatened in London, for example. And Mysterio's body would eventually be identified, and even if Happy is dead, I'd assume that Rhodey would have access to the same information.

Plus, fake-Fury and Hill were the ones who vouched for Mysterio. All they'd have to do is say 'Yeah, he was a bad guy'.

I just don't foresee a lot of court drama
    It wouldn't surprise me if Talos and Wife leave Peter to fend for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    I fail to see how, given how many Spider-Man stories that can be summed up as "Peter is in over his head and facing impossible odds."
    Stories sure, but the character doesn't feel like Holland's take. Never mind that in those stories Spidey doesn't need a mentor or a pep talk ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    Oh man, now I'm really curious if they are going to have a Bruce Campbell reference.
    I'd be happy if they show the Tobey Spidey bringing in a Bruce Mysterio to the police and his shoddy costume falls apart like in the Spider-Man 4 storyboards from Raimi.

Then Tobey gets pulled into a vortex.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It sounds like the Spider-Man I grew up on.

Whatever Sony decided to do with Holland Spiderman I hope he encounters Falcon one more time. I want to see the friendly rivalry Holland and Mackie have play out on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Spider-Man pretty frequently feels out of sorts and goes to other heroes like the Fantastic Four, Doc Strange or the X-Men for emotional/professional support and to be honest those types of cross overs are often some of the most fun I have reading Spider-Man.
    Too naive/baby-ish etc, Iron-Boy, yadda yadda yadda - seriously, do I need to defend this position every time? I'm not the only one who feels this way and it's been explained by so many people so many times before.

Extraordinary Member

The only versions of Spider Man that got near universal praise from fandom were the animated versions.

And I'm sure that even then, there was somebody, somewhere that was beefing that the excellent Spectacular Spider Man featured a high school aged Peter Parker.

You can't please everyone. It's insane to even try.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The only versions of Spider Man that got near universal praise from fandom were the animated versions.

And I'm sure that even then, there was somebody, somewhere that was beefing that the excellent Spectacular Spider Man featured a high school aged Peter Parker.

It's impossible to praise everyone sure, but there is such a thing as something being more-or-less universally accepted. Or even mostly accepted. It's not a high bar to reach that status, especially with the resources Marvel Studios has at their disposal.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-24-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It's impossible to praise everyone sure, but there is such a thing as something being more-or-less universally accepted. Or even mostly accepted. It's not a high bar to reach that status, especially with the resources Marvel Studios has at their disposal.
    Could you quantify “universally accepted” for me?

Could you, conversely, give me a quantity that signifies not universally accepted?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Could you quantify “universally accepted” for me?

Could you, conversely, give me a quantity that signifies not universally accepted?
    I mean, the previous poster gave us a pretty good example (Spectacular Spider-Man). I would describe it as something that generally doesn't cause a lot of debate and controversy among a group. We can also add the Insomniac game, Into The Spider-Verse, and even the first two Raimi films to that list for obvious reasons.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

If I could pick a twist (besides evil Strange/Mephisto) to occur I think having the sixth member of the Sinister Six be a variant of Jake’s Mysterio who can actually use magic would be fun.

Not sure what is happening with Keaton’s Vulture though. Given Morbius was teasing him I guess some assumed he might appear but since that movie’s universe status is unclear and gets constantly delayed I dunno… would have been nice to see him on the Sinister Six.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Stories sure, but the character doesn't feel like Holland's take. Never mind that in those stories Spidey doesn't need a mentor or a pep talk ever.
    There are also bunch of stories Spider-Man has a mentor and does get pep talk
    This isn't new by any means, I swear people just like to revise history and pretend certain stories don't exist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    They already reached it, otherwise there wouldn't be so much hype for this movie or there wouldn't be such a huge controversy when it looked Marvel and Sony split
    Last edited by Metro; 08-25-2021 at 02:22 AM.

That's because his uncle is DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Re-watched the entirely of the 90s Spider-Man series this year and you wouldn't believe how many times he goes into a secret laboratory in someone's apartment or an abandoned industrial complex where there's some kind of science laser beam thing on a gimbal that goes out of control during the ensuing fight. Which all leads me to think:

-New York City really needs to work on its zoning regulations for Secret Science Labs.
    -Mad scientists should consider putting their mutation/portal/disintegrations beams on a static mount in case Spider-Man starts a fight in their lab.
    -Or at least not tie people up in proximity to the gimballed laser so that they have to be rescued at the last possible second as it slowly rotates toward them.
    -If every mad scientist/super-villain Spider-Man fights has a personal connection to Peter Parker somehow, maybe consider that Peter Parker may be the problem.
    -Also, how does no-one notice the massive electricity cost of all these super science labs. Who is paying the bills?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Peter always came across to me as the type of guy who needs a father figure in his life. He attaches himself to guys like Tony, Norman and Otto (in continuities where he doesn't start as a villain) pretty easily.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Peter always came across to me as the type of guy who needs a father figure in his life. He attaches himself to guys like Tony, Norman and Otto (in continuities where he doesn't start as a villain) pretty easily.
    I mean, all of those examples you brought up are people he eventually rebels against and has a change of opinion about in other continuities where he may have looked up to them. This Spider-Man however never has his T'Challa moment where he stops blindly looking up to his idols like that, and that is the problem. It would be fine if he started out that way and had a change in attitude, but he hasn't had that in five films. This version is sadly not allowed to have opinions like that, and it reeks of ageist undertones too. Which is actually kinda crazy because challenging ageist notions about teens was one of the things Spider-Man was created for, much like how Black Panther challenges racist notions about black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    They already reached it, otherwise there wouldn't be so much hype for this movie or there wouldn't be such a huge controversy when it looked Marvel and Sony split
    How much of that hype has to do with Holland's Spider-Man, and how much of it has to do with the return of Garfield/Maguire and with exploiting the current Spider-Verse hype? The return of the previous two actors has been a massive part of this film's marketing and appeal, so the film's hype can't simply be credited to Homecoming and Far From Home. If anything, the fact Holland is the first Spider-Man to not be able to carry film without help from the previous Spider-Man, kinda proves my point.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-25-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Too naive/baby-ish etc, Iron-Boy, yadda yadda yadda - seriously, do I need to defend this position every time? I'm not the only one who feels this way and it's been explained by so many people so many times before.
    There's a difference between saying it's a version with characteristics that you don't personally enjoy and saying it's a character that doesn't feel like Spider-Man period. The first way of expressing yourself makes it clear it's your own subjective opinion while the latter makes it sound like it's an objective fact...and that second option is demonstrably false which is why several people countered your post.