Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thoughts:

- That is kind of a quintessential Peter and Mary Jane moment at the beginning with Peter and Michelle. All she needs is red hair and the real name.

- They've been so flippant with Peter's secret identity that I'm glad they're treating his identity getting outed seriously and there is actual consequences to it for his friends and family. Is there any reason he wouldn't want to get it back? Of course then they bring up how difficult it is to maintain a double life. I kind of hope they don't just undo the undoing because Peter learned a lesson because I feel like the point should be that he needs both Spider-Man and Peter Parker instead of being just another MCU hero who is a hero pretty much all the time.

- Aunt May facing charges for being Peter's aunt is probably the most serious thing they've done with her in this entire trilogy and I'm not sure they're really going to do much with it.

- That head that reminds Peter of Dr. Strange looks oddly enough like Mephisto. And then they go into the mindwipe and we get into OMD territory.

- Strange in the Cloak in casual clothes is...something. Looks like he and Wong were on an ice mission together.

- I don't know how I feel about Strange going through with the spell even when Wong advises him not too. It seems too flippant of him, especially compared to how he'd been depicted before and he knows how dangerous magic can be. And, obviously, it goes wrong and potentially sets up the Multiverse of Madness as much as Sylvie did.

- So I guess Peter has to deal with telling his core supporting cast he's Spider-Man again...although he just morphs into costume in broad daylight like Spider-Iron Man so it doesn't seem like he cares about keeping his identity anymore otherwise.

- This looks to get as trippy as a Spider-Man/Dr. Strange team-up should get.

- So we have an Electro shock, a storm of Sandman (?), a Pumpkin Bomb with that distinct Willem Dafoe laugh, and obviously Molina as Doc Ock...although at the same time, as great as the nolstalgia is, why is it so hard for Holland to get his own villains? They're either motivated by Tony Stark or hand-me-downs from other Spider-Men.

- I guess Peter brings the Iron Spider suit out because he needs to be bulletproof. Can he just stick to one costume for once? And not be bulletproof? Or like transforming into a costume in one second? It just really takes me out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I wouldn't say he beat Ock. He talked Ock down, but Ock took control and destroyed his machine (and we thought himself) on his own.
    I thought he pretty much had Ock beaten. He only went to talk to him to get his help when he couldn't destroy the machine by himself.
    I don't think there is any milestone happening. I think that Marvel wants to delve into the multiverse concept, and it will work best for Spider-Man. That way, when Sony's deal with Marvel expires, they can split that off into it's own universe and use that as an excuse why Peter never shows up in proper Marvel movies anymore.
    I guess because of Spider-Verse but it just doesn't feel like the right time to do it for Holland's Spider-Man.
    I agree the first Holland movie ended with him being stripped of all of his tech and having to go toe-to-toe with the Vulture old school. But at the end of the second, he got a brand new Stark-tech suit.

I will agree that his supporting cast is a bit underdeveloped. But really, Tony was in the first one for like 10 minutes total. A couple of conversations, and one big scene saving the ferry. The second one he teamed with Mysterio, as that was part of his con, and Happy flew him around and looked after his friends, and Fury was only in it a little bit. I wouldn't say they were crowding him out, or even taking too much time away from his friends. And again, this has become a staple in Marvel movies. Cap was the main star in his first movie, but by the second they brought in Falcon and Widow, and the third was an Avengers movie in everything but title. Even Thor added the Hulk. Iron Man had Rhodey, but that was basically it. This is just how they do it now.

Would I like to see a solo Spider-Man film? Absolutely. And I kinda feel that, after this movie, when it goes back to just Sony producing the movie, it probably will.
    The problem with Tony is that his presence is felt in the movies even when he's not there or dead and Peter has to be in a mentor/protege relationship that's not really true to Spider-Man. I don't think that's true for supporting heroes in other solo films.

Mighty Member

UGH. Adapting OMD instantly kills any hype I might have had for this.

Nope, no more questions asked, I'm out. Y'all can have this garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

What? I didn't Really see much in common with OND...

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Same. Well, she's not "Mary" Jane but Michelle, so...guess she works fine as an OC?
    Nothing OC about her she's basically maeby from arrested development in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Nothing OC about her she's basically maeby from arrested development in the MCU.
    No clue who that is, didn't see much of that show.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    What? I didn't Really see much in common with OND...
    Its basically Strange in place of Mephisto here and him not realizing the complications that will arise soon. Also unlike OMD in comics where Peter was cowardly and didn't take responsibility leaving it all on Mary-Jane...here he is the one pushing for this solution. Because of how his life is in chaos. So this is better than One More Day. Its perhaps the best one we can get.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I am not hyped for this - honestly, MCU Spidey has just been my least favorite of all Spidey's. His movies feel like the weak link in MCU's otherwise strong chain of films. I like them enough for decent popcorn flicks, but they don't really feel like Spider-Man to me. I liked the previous versions and Spider-Verse better. I think I even like Sony's Venom-verse Venom better. But hey, even as low man on the totem poll for me the MCU Spidey films have been an alright way to kill a couple hours. I've never left mad or disappointed like other recent movies, so expecting more of the same here. This looks fun, not great but fun.

BANNED

I can't possibly imagine a world where Venom is better, like outside of Tom Hardy acting like crazy person and some action really nothing about the movie is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Maybe we can use the multiverse to get Laura Harrier's Liz Allen from Spider-Man:Homecoming to come back? Because Zendaya is the worst MJ, someone needs to tell her she is playing MJ...not Daria. Don't get me wrong, Daria is a great character, but this is Spider-Man and she it's playing MJ I'm all for Peter ending up with Liz Allen this time around.
    Except Michelle isn't Mary Jane, they have said this multiple times, and Peter shouldn't be with Liz just because she's the girl you would probably wanna go out with.
    Last edited by Metro; 08-23-2021 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Part of it is legality, right? I just assumed Marvel needed to shove in some of their MCU characters to have some stake in the movie, otherwise then it would be just Sony-owned characters and thus eliminates Marvel Studios from the equation (and also proving legally that Sony doesn't need that partnership, e.g. the success of Venom, as well as Into the Spider-Verse).

Though, point taken about other heroes and characters therefore usurping the supporting cast as a consequence.
    It's not for stakes. Like you said, it's legality, Marvel putting an Avenger on the team justifies them having creative control over the franchise.

It was fun for a couple of movies and NWH looks better than I expected but I also hope that we get more 'pure' Spider-Man movies after this.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I wouldn't say he beat Ock. He talked Ock down, but Ock took control and destroyed his machine (and we thought himself) on his own.

I don't think there is any milestone happening. I think that Marvel wants to delve into the multiverse concept, and it will work best for Spider-Man. That way, when Sony's deal with Marvel expires, they can split that off into it's own universe and use that as an excuse why Peter never shows up in proper Marvel movies anymore.

I didn't see Tobey, but we saw Ock and we saw a Rami-verse pumpkin bomb.

I agree the first Holland movie ended with him being stripped of all of his tech and having to go toe-to-toe with the Vulture old school. But at the end of the second, he got a brand new Stark-tech suit.

I will agree that his supporting cast is a bit underdeveloped. But really, Tony was in the first one for like 10 minutes total. A couple of conversations, and one big scene saving the ferry. The second one he teamed with Mysterio, as that was part of his con, and Happy flew him around and looked after his friends, and Fury was only in it a little bit. I wouldn't say they were crowding him out, or even taking too much time away from his friends. And again, this has become a staple in Marvel movies. Cap was the main star in his first movie, but by the second they brought in Falcon and Widow, and the third was an Avengers movie in everything but title. Even Thor added the Hulk. Iron Man had Rhodey, but that was basically it. This is just how they do it now.

Would I like to see a solo Spider-Man film? Absolutely. And I kinda feel that, after this movie, when it goes back to just Sony producing the movie, it probably will.

At least we know Dafoe can keep a secret. :P

I know Tony was in it for a couple of seconds but a big part of Homecoming and NWH was Peter's relationship with Tony and both the villains Peter fought in the movies happened because of Tony. Whoever Peter teams up with in the movies plays a big part in shaping the plot. Take IM, Fury and now Dr Strange out of the movies and you get an entirely different story.

In FFH his new Stark suit was destroyed before he confronted Mysterio and he had to learn to rely on his Spider-Sense to beat him. I thought that was a nice touch.

OMD made me quit reading Spider-Man but I am looking forward to this. MCU did a better Civil War than the comic book CW and I look forward to them doing a better OMD than the actual OMD.

So is this just an excuse to have loads of cameos from old Sony films, and Tom will say "wow, this is crazy, thank goodness I was able to capture lots of this on my new Sony folding mobile phone?" while he swings past a giant Playstation 5 billboard?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's not for stakes. Like you said, it's legality, Marvel putting an Avenger on the team justifies them having creative control over the franchise.

It was fun for a couple of movies and NWH looks better than I expected but I also hope that we get more 'pure' Spider-Man movies after this.

At least we know Dafoe can keep a secret. :P

I know Tony was in it for a couple of seconds but a big part of Homecoming and NWH was Peter's relationship with Tony and both the villains Peter fought in the movies happened because of Tony. Whoever Peter teams up with in the movies plays a big part in shaping the plot. Take IM, Fury and now Dr Strange out of the movies and you get an entirely different story.

In FFH his new Stark suit was destroyed before he confronted Mysterio and he had to learn to rely on his Spider-Sense to beat him. I thought that was a nice touch.
    Except it's not Marvel who keeps pushing cameos in Spider-Man, that's Sony they specifically wanted that when making the deal to bring Spider-Man to the MCU, that MCU get roles to further hype up the movie emphasize that it's part of the MCU.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    It's out.

I like it more than I thought I would, despite it being kinda similar to One More Day.

I've been grumbling to my friends for months that I'd be more interested in a simple Spider-man/Daredevil team-up dealing with Peter's unveiled identity rather than a live action Spider-verse. But I always knew that as soon as I saw the characters from the other franchises I would be hooked. And seeing one of the top five comic book movie villains of all time at the end there certainly has me grinning like a dork.

Bring it on.

BANNED

Well I...er...eh.....oh boy....oh dear.

The trailer did nothing new, giving all the secrecy and hype. I cannot say it excites me, it looks like another MCU movie only this time, MCU wants to play on our nostalgia because you know, Spiderman cannot really be allowed to grow up rapidly. I already mentioned that Holland and Zandaya's real age will soon start catching up to them in my last post and someone on another thread, I trust it was on reddit or YouTube that said, watching the trailer, Holland cannot necessary pass for a teenager anymore. glad I am not the only one that has noticed it.

I will say some few things.

Holland's acting seems off. I am not saying it is bad but he is not coming off natural. Like I know he is acting for the camera.
    The trailer was shot very generic. what is it with the constant drum sound, perhaps it is because it was used so much on Shang Chi. Please no one should tell me again, there is no formula in the MCU, it goes right down to even their trailer.

I finally get it when some people were saying MCU only did this film because Kevin Feige may has become obsessed with trying to outdo every other competitor. That this movie is more about been MCU response to Into the Spiderverse like how Civil War and Captain Marvel were direct response to Dawn of Justice and Wonder Woman. However what Feige does not get is that Spiderverse was a pure serious film concept built from scratch. Sony was not trying to compete with anyone or answer anyone. I doubt they even thought about Pixar or dream works animation when they made that film.

I have to admit when Orc shows up, it felt quite cringe as much as it felt nostalgic. I much rather prefer when Evan Peters showed up in Wandavsion. Although maybe the interpretation here is different because this is a trailer. The only great thing about this trailer is that Benedict Cumberbatch is a person on screen you always want to watch.

However this to me looks like another generic meh film when you take the concept they are trying to push. A Multiverse, and oh boy, all that explosions and city destruction all that CGI game play especially the train scene at 2.14 - 2.19 with Spiderman and Dr Strange. It looks really fake. How can Feige allow this? Does he not know how much of a game changer the VFX train scene was in Spiderman 2?

Are you freaking kidding me Media with the hype you are trying to push here? Please start hyping Eternals more, that looks more fresh compared to this . I am sorry guys, but as a big Spiderman fan, this trailer was not great at all and comes off way to desperate to stretch the...its all connected stuff, that they are now dragging Sony movies in a manner that does not look really organic. Eternals trailer 2 was way better and looks better.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-24-2021 at 02:41 AM.

Mighty Member

So, my thoughts on the official trailer.

I'm guessing we're getting the Sinister Six movie Sony have always wanted, with Ock, Electro, Green Goblin and possibly Sandman, the other two may remain a mystery until the final movie.

If Daredevil is in this one, it may be to establish that the Netflix shows are in a separate Universe, but are linked through the multiverse.

Doctor Strange 2 will most likely be about him having to undo the damage he has done with this movie while also trying to undo the damage Scarlet Witch did.

Now, onto my opinions. I liked it. It really isn't taking much from One More Day, just the mindwipe aspect from OMIT, really this is more of a OMIT adaptation than OMD. The similarities end there. The nostalgic factor was one I was kind of okay about. I'm not one for modern media being a nostalgia machine, but if we're doing it under the guise of the Multiverse, then fine, do it. Seeing Ock again was nice but hearing Dafoe was the ultimate surprise, especially as I prefer the Green Goblin to Doc Ock anyway.

As we know they are leading up to Secret War, I'm wondering if this is a one-off or will we get the multiple Spider-Men in that movie? It'll make sense as that's a multiverse movie too.

While I hope Tobey and Andrew play supporting roles, I wouldn't mind seeing Nicholas Hammand have a cameo. I'm guessing if they get him, then we'll get that scene from Amazing Spider-Man #500.

Overall, it's a pretty decent trailer. Wish we got in a few months ago however, the buzz from it was starting to feel overplayed and I think I just needed something to look forward to get me back in the Cinema after nearly 2 years. Yeah, I'll give this one a go. I didn't really like the other two, but I'm willing to give this one a fair shot.