Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Prometheus? Alien Covenant? At this point we can say Ridley Scott damaged the Alien franchise for 10 years, its quite abusive.
    It's weird cuz he's a really good Director. But yeah for whatever reason he sunk the franchise he's most famous for. 1 out of 3 average ain't good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Actually, it's not.

Take a second, and think over everything from the entrance on the talk show on out.

Once you have?

Ask yourself if they have given you two clearly separate perspectives so that you can easily pick out what is real and what is most likely the perspective of an unreliable narrator.
    Eh I dunno there are parts where he's clearly fantasizing. Then there are parts revealed to be fantasy near the end. So it's not that clear.

Films are objects, they have objective qualities to them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

I get you hate the MCU and think everything about it is garbage. You are entitled to your own opinion. But that is the very definition of subjective. Objective means without personal opinion or judgement. Which is clearly not what you are doing. Nothing you mentioned is the objective qualities of a film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    RDJ is always funny. The man has delivery skills. But man that whole tease was a waste of time. That describes the entire movie, actually.

That describes the Kelvinverse in a nutshell.
    I consider Age of Ultron to be more of a comedy than an action-adventure flick. I laughed a lot watching that film. When Nick Fury talked about Ultron: "The guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit", I had a good chuckle. Whedon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Once upon a time, this was the normal acceptable theory of mostly trying to judge movies fairly.Not any more in mainstream.

Extraordinary Member

As much as I’d like films to have objective qualities, as then the argument about TLJ would be a bit clearer one way or another, they are entirely subjective, and it comes down to how strong the arguments made about it are.

I mean, there’s basically four different factions when it comes to describing The Last Jedi in regards to its politics, in spite of its intentions:

1. “I like the progressive messages!... I just don’t want to think about what the film’s doing to Rey and Finn...”

2. “I like progressive messages, but TLJ isn’t progressive... and that’s part of the reason why the stories for Rey, Finn, Luke and Kylo all suck!”

3. “I don’t care about progressive messages!... which is why I’m secretly happy that Finn got usurped by Kylo, and that Rey’s now his arm candy!”

4. “I don’t like progressive messages!... so I’m going to use the same weak-ass complaints I had about The Firce Awakens, but can now pretend TLJ’s less positive reception is because I was right before, and not that TLJ actually kind of supports my POV in a creepy and unintentional way.

These POVs have different magnitudes and strengths as arguments... and we know that, because if they were “objectively” decided, people would know #2 was true.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

There are no objective qualities to film except the technical aspects and cast and crew. The rest is judgements and opinion, therefore subjective.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    There are no objective qualities to film except the technical aspects and cast and crew. The rest is judgements and opinion, therefore subjective.
    What other qualities are there?

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet; The Last Airbender. M. Night really screwed the pooch on that adaptation. $150 million budget, and only the costumes looked decent. M. Night claimed to be a fan of the series, but the way the film was done, it was like someone read the bullet points on wikipedia. And that's not even getting into the issues of casting 3 white kids in place of those that would actually resemble the characters. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    What other qualities are there?
    All talk about the acting, direction, writing, cinematography, etc...are subjective

BANNED

All talk about the acting, direction, writing, cinematography, etc...are subjective
    Those aren't cast and crew?

who is in the cast and crew is objective, opinions on their work is subjective

BANNED

who is in the cast and crew is objective, opinions on their work is subjective
    There are a lot of acting, directing, and cinematography schools that would take issue with that view, to name a few.

It's OK to like something done poorly. It's OK to dislike something done exceptionally. It's not OK to believe that something's quality is dependent on how well you like it.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 02-27-2021 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    There are a lot of acting, directing, and cinematography schools that would take issue with that view, to name a few.

It's OK to like something done poorly. It's OK to dislike something done exceptionally. It's not OK to believe that something's quality is dependent on how well you like it.
    True, there are aesthetics agreed upon, but they are still subjective. Just most opinions agree on it.. We can name movies that were once defamed that later were considered classics. Name me a great movie and you will find detractors, are the objectively wrong?

But this all goes back to a poster who said his negative opinion of two Captain America movies was objectively true.