Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But this all goes back to a poster who said his negative opinion of two Captain America movies was objectively true.
    And that is, objectively, not true. Those two movies were exceptionally well- made. R rating notwithstanding.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet; The Last Airbender. M. Night really screwed the pooch on that adaptation. $150 million budget, and only the costumes looked decent. M. Night claimed to be a fan of the series, but the way the film was done, it was like someone read the bullet points on wikipedia. And that's not even getting into the issues of casting 3 white kids in place of those that would actually resemble the characters. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    This one feels like some of it was inevitable and close to excusable (even just Season One had too much content to condense that well)... and other stuff that is inexcusable, as you said, particularly regarding the casting.

I feel like the Fire Nation was the only one to actually get a decent cast, both in terms of actual talent and in terms of showing some of it on screen, while the heroes were the worst kind of dull-surprise acting.

Plus, the bending felt almost useless with how over-the-top their moves were for how little special effects they actually did.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

True, there are aesthetics agreed upon, but they are still subjective. Just most opinions agree on it.. We can name movies that were once defamed that later were considered classics. Name me a great movie and you will find detractors, are the objectively wrong?

But this all goes back to a poster who said his negative opinion of two Captain America movies was objectively true.
    I think movies that explicitly posit philosophical ideas only to then become bored with the them demonstrate poor or amateur writing ability. Civil War does this, by the end of the film, Cap and Iron Man aren't even fighting for a philosophical idea, Iron Man is crying about is dead mommy and Cap is crying about his broken friend. The CW-style airport fight wasn't even about heroes coming to blows with each other over ideology.

The ironic thing is that the idea Civil War posits, should superheroes have oversight, is actually proven correct in the film, though the narrative itself was so bored with the idea that it doesn't even notice. Captain America behaves irrationally throughout the movie, more than willing to sacrifice close friendships and his career for a gamble basically. The bad guys plan literally requires that Captain America acts as dumb as possible. Yet, at the end of the movie, while the criminal Captain America is locked up, the music swells as it implies that the criminal is going to escape, the authors not even remembering what the Slovakia accords were about.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

All of it, this idea of what was delusional or not at the end. Sounds like fan explanations for a hot mess of a movie to me.
    Visuals looked to me like what I described, but it can't be helped if one doesn't like the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet; The Last Airbender. M. Night really screwed the pooch on that adaptation. $150 million budget, and only the costumes looked decent.
    Speaking of adaptions of famous animation or their source material; I should really hate Fullmetal Alchemist because of how nonsensical it is and how it crams too much visually and still deviates far from the concepts the source material presented, but it left me feel mildly amused at the disaster that it was.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I think movies that explicitly posit philosophical ideas only to then become bored with the them demonstrate poor or amateur writing ability. Civil War does this, by the end of the film, Cap and Iron Man aren't even fighting for a philosophical idea, Iron Man is crying about is dead mommy and Cap is crying about his broken friend. The CW-style airport fight wasn't even about heroes coming to blows with each other over ideology.
    The idea that our high-minded ideals are actually subordinate to our emotional drives is, in fact, a philosophical idea

Thats an odd stance. None of the MCU films are big on philosophy.

I was pretty disappointed in TWS and Civil War as Captain America films - neither did anything to progress the character - but as MCU films they are objectively remarkable.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.