Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I feel like both these statements are debatable. While many may feel this to be the case, I don't think so. About the Diana Prince era I don't think it was misguided--but that's a whole discussion on its own. As for Bob Kanigher, like I say, there are many Wonder Woman stories I hate (including the one immediately after the Diana Prince era), but he was so prolific, there's likely fifty or sixty good-to-great Wonder Woman stories he wrote--which is more than the total output of most Wonder Woman writers. Keep in mind, Kanigher started writing Wonder Woman in 1945 and his last story was in 1974.

What's funny is when Gloria Steinem set out on her campaign to dump the mod Diana Prince and bring back the star-spangled Amazon, a lot of the stories she was referring back to were Bob Kanigher stories. And when she got her way, it was the Bob Kanigher Wonder Woman that was returned to the comic book pages. Was this really what Gloria wanted? I think if she had read the Mike Sekowsky comics and compared them with the comics before and after, she might have realized that even the golden eagle breasted Princess was not the character she was imagining from her childhood memories--and Diana Prince was the much more liberated woman.
    Yeah, Diana Prince could do it all, without superpowers.

It's stuff like this annoyed readers from the mod white suit era Wonder Woman:

ww203dontlikewomen.jpg

More details here: https://thanley.wordpress.com/2012/0...ublished-this/

And while Diana getting depowered, separated from her sisters and forced to globe trot in white suits with an old Asian martial arts master, sounds like a good gimmick for a story arc, as a long standing status quo? No. Just no.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

ww203dontlikewomen.jpg

And while Diana getting depowered, separated from her sisters and forced to globe trot in white suits with an old Asian martial arts master, sounds like a good gimmick for a story arc, as a long standing status quo? No. Just no.
    As I say, this is the subject for a longer discussion which is best pursued on another thread. To be brief, I think there were some good reasons for why the publisher went in that direction and there were many good stories that came out of it--and not misguided. The story above is from the very last issue of the mod Diana Prince--WONDER WOMAN 203 (November-December 1972)--and from the short run of Denny O'Neil as editor. It's a pretty dumb story (but great Dick Giordano art) and it hardly represents the kind of stories that Diana got for most of that era--especially when Mike Sekowsky was editor, writer and artist.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    It's refreshing to see Pre-COIE WW get a little bit of recognition!! I think it's pretty telling that when it comes to this era in the comics, it's the Lynda Carter TV show that's more fondly remembered than anything that happened in the actual comics themselves! Now, me, I LOVE me some Bronze Age WW!! Starting with Gerry Conway's soft reboot in #269 (another "Bold New Era") that re-established a modern Earth-1 version of the the Golden Age status quo and supporting cast, although Etta is now Diana Prince's collogue and co-worker like she was in the first season of the television series instead of a college student. Loved everything about his run including his use of classic rogues like Angle Man and introducing the Debbie Domaine Cheetah. Jose Delbo is also on my list of "definitive" WW artists of this time as well. After Conway left, Roy Thomas came on board and continued to build on this "Modern Golden Age" foundation and gave us the original Silver Swan and brought Doctor Psycho back to the title. Issues #288-290 are classics in my opinion. Gene Colan was an interesting choice for the art and at the time I wasn't a big fan, but now when I go back and look at those pages, I can really appreciate the workmanship in those. Thomas' run was brief, but Dan Mishkin stepped in and continued on up until right before Crisis. What I really appreciate is that these three gentlemen did not toss out what their predecessor had established and create their own pet characters, but instead built off one another and created a consistent world in which Diana could thrive. The supporting cast remained the same was given the chance for some character development and it's a shame that a lot of these issues aren't readily available outside of a back issue bin.
    Yeah, I agree...Lynda Carter's show is the lasting Wonder Woman legacy from the Silver Age/Bronze Age era. And even that show started out as a throwback to the Golden Age WW2-era Wonder Woman.

Hell, didn't the comics literally go back to the Golden Age at some point in the 70's to match up to the show?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

ww203dontlikewomen.jpg

"In most cases I don't even like women" Wonder Woman as the Clayton Bigsby of Amazons is a very bold take for the character.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Hell, didn't the comics literally go back to the Golden Age at some point in the 70's to match up to the show?
    They did, and one of the things I liked about those issues were her interactions with members of the JSA. Jay Garrick & Dr. Mid-Nite showed up in different issues, as did Atom, Starman, Sandman, Mr. Terrific, and Johnny Thunder in the Osira 2-parter.