Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CBR think piece: Best and Worst of Dan Slott's Spider-Man comics

Exactly what it says on the tin. What do all you think?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Exactly what it says on the tin. What do all you think?
    I’d say I agree it with it about 70%. Not exactly sure why the writer thinks ‘Dying Wish’ is his worst story. I think it’s one of his best. But overall the other choices are fairly spot on. Put more simply, all his best work is ‘Superior’ or pre-Superior (although Alpha was his worst work from the pre-Superior era) and all his worst work was post-Superior. Slott’s run would be remembered a lot more fondly if he quit after the conclusion of the ‘Superior’ era instead of lingering around like a bad fart for another 5 years. There’s very little of his post-Superior era to recommend (some like Spiderverse, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’d say I agree it with it about 70%. Not exactly sure why the writer thinks ‘Dying Wish’ is his worst story. I think it’s one of his best. But overall the other choices are fairly spot on. Put more simply, all his best work is ‘Superior’ or pre-Superior (although Alpha was his worst work from the pre-Superior era) and all his worst work was post-Superior. Slott’s run would be remembered a lot more fondly if he quit after the conclusion of the ‘Superior’ era instead of lingering around like a bad fart for another 5 years. There’s very little of his post-Superior era to recommend (some like Spiderverse, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it).
    Slott’s best work was Spider Island. Original RYV story also. Worst? BND and Silk ( although I can name quite a bit including the middle finger to fans story called Jackpot).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Slott’s best work was Spider Island. Original RYV story also. Worst? BND and Silk ( although I can name quite a bit including the middle finger to fans story called Jackpot).
    BND wasn’t Slott. That was more a group effort. Unless you’re referring to some storyline he did during that era?
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 02-24-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Spider Island and RYV were probably Slotts best. His most memorable are obviously Spiderverse and Superior.

I did really like Go Down Swinging, though.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Spider Island, RYV were by far my favourites looking back on his run. I did quite like Big Time stuff too. Alphas was bad, very bad IMO.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Said the same many times. Slott should've bowed out on TSSM. Everything after with one or two exceptions tainted his time in the book.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

I remember back in the day, when Slott was writing She-Hulk and the Thing and thinking how much I wanted to see him on Spider-Man. I think that as with a lot of other fans, that Slott should have ended after either Superior Spider-Man or Spider-Verse. I think that the editorial interference on Spider-Verse affected Dan Slott greatly and after that it seemed like he had ideas but they were either poorly executed, he lost interest in them or in the case of Parker Industries both things seemed to happen. It's sad as I think that Spider-Island is an awesome story as is the original Renew Your Vows. Superior Spider-Man was also very good and really high-lighted at least to me that it is Peter himself not the powers that makes Spider-Man an amazing character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare10880 View Post
    I remember back in the day, when Slott was writing She-Hulk and the Thing and thinking how much I wanted to see him on Spider-Man. I think that as with a lot of other fans, that Slott should have ended after either Superior Spider-Man or Spider-Verse. I think that the editorial interference on Spider-Verse affected Dan Slott greatly and after that it seemed like he had ideas but they were either poorly executed, he lost interest in them or in the case of Parker Industries both things seemed to happen. It's sad as I think that Spider-Island is an awesome story as is the original Renew Your Vows. Superior Spider-Man was also very good and really high-lighted at least to me that it is Peter himself not the powers that makes Spider-Man an amazing character.
    Superior really should have been when he left. Although, as you said, the original Renew Your Vows was excellent. For me, the Spidey and Human Torch Mini right up to Superior was a incredible run (Alpha was crap).