Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CBR think piece: Best and Worst of Dan Slott's Spider-Man comics

Exactly what it says on the tin. What do all you think?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Exactly what it says on the tin. What do all you think?
    I’d say I agree it with it about 70%. Not exactly sure why the writer thinks ‘Dying Wish’ is his worst story. I think it’s one of his best. But overall the other choices are fairly spot on. Put more simply, all his best work is ‘Superior’ or pre-Superior (although Alpha was his worst work from the pre-Superior era) and all his worst work was post-Superior. Slott’s run would be remembered a lot more fondly if he quit after the conclusion of the ‘Superior’ era instead of lingering around like a bad fart for another 5 years. There’s very little of his post-Superior era to recommend (some like Spiderverse, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’d say I agree it with it about 70%. Not exactly sure why the writer thinks ‘Dying Wish’ is his worst story. I think it’s one of his best. But overall the other choices are fairly spot on. Put more simply, all his best work is ‘Superior’ or pre-Superior (although Alpha was his worst work from the pre-Superior era) and all his worst work was post-Superior. Slott’s run would be remembered a lot more fondly if he quit after the conclusion of the ‘Superior’ era instead of lingering around like a bad fart for another 5 years. There’s very little of his post-Superior era to recommend (some like Spiderverse, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it).
    Slott’s best work was Spider Island. Original RYV story also. Worst? BND and Silk ( although I can name quite a bit including the middle finger to fans story called Jackpot).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Slott’s best work was Spider Island. Original RYV story also. Worst? BND and Silk ( although I can name quite a bit including the middle finger to fans story called Jackpot).
    BND wasn’t Slott. That was more a group effort. Unless you’re referring to some storyline he did during that era?
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 02-24-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Spider Island and RYV were probably Slotts best. His most memorable are obviously Spiderverse and Superior.

I did really like Go Down Swinging, though.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Spider Island, RYV were by far my favourites looking back on his run. I did quite like Big Time stuff too. Alphas was bad, very bad IMO.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Spider Island, RYV were by far my favourites looking back on his run. I did quite like Big Time stuff too. Alphas was bad, very bad IMO.
    Spider-Island and the Clone Conspiracy were my absolute favorite. There honestly wasn’t an arch that I didn’t like. I was rather well entertained throughout his run consistently.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Clone Conspiracy was pretty ''Meh'' to me personally.

Mighty Member

I'd flip Goblin Nation and Dying Wish on this list. The whole twist of Dying Wish was the lack of buildup. I really enjoyed the heck out that story. Goblin Nation was decent, but the last issue and a half were far too rushed and everything seemed too neat for the ASM relaunch.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I pretty much started in the Slott era during superior venom arc and going forward. I did like Goblin Nation and I did enjoy what Parker Industries was trying to do until they went back to the status quo. Spider Verse was cool
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

"My Worst Enemy" seems like reaching.

I think my problem with Clone Conspiracy was that some plot points were too obvious since Marvel would play it safe.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    "My Worst Enemy" seems like reaching.

I think my problem with Clone Conspiracy was that some plot points were too obvious since Marvel would play it safe.
    It had many problems, but the biggest was turning a beloved character like Ben into a murderous sociopath. It probably would’ve been best if he stayed dead.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It had many problems, but the biggest was turning a beloved character like Ben into a murderous sociopath. It probably would’ve been best if he stayed dead.
    X-Men writers do that all the time so I was immune.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Most of Slott's run is mediocre rather than bad and that even includes his big stories.

As for his best.
    -- Spider-Man/Human Torch with Ty Templeton. This is by far the best Spider-Man story he ever worked on (even if it's mainly about the Human Torch and told from his POV). IT's also in my view the only great Spider-Man story he ever did. The others which I will list out, fall short of greatness and are merely good.

Other good stories that Slott did.
    -- Spider-Island -- On the whole, the only big event storyline in his run that's worth re-reading and revisiting. It's not perfect but it's a concept that's neat, it's an event storyline with a fun premise that actually does have fun and so you have a pretty light-hearted action story that works really well. Some very good comedy (also some bad comedy because Slott's gonna Slott).

-- No One Dies -- The art by Marcos Martin in the first of this two-parter is some of the most beautiful panels in any Spider-Man comic, the writing doesn't measure up but it's not too bad either.

-- Renew Your Vows -- The Jody Houser run has a couple of issues and moments that are better than this but the original event barring some flaws isn't bad and has some key moments.

-- ASM #801 -- Again Martin's art carries Slott, as an issue it's not on the level of Zdarsky's Finale but it's got a simple theme that works.

I think if you read these five Slott stories, you pretty much have a good snapshot of his entire run.

My favorite Slott work is Amazing Spider-Man 665 (No One Dies pt 1). It's that Marco Martin issue we go inside Peter's mind.

Having said that, I also appreciate Superior Spiderman and Clone Conspiracy.

The rest is average to awful, IMHO.