Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man 60

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    As good as that final page reveal was, I have zero hope of anything coming from it. In fact, I can see Marvel pull a swerve and have Strange just say “as bad as what was done to Peter, it was in his best interest” and boom... nothing changes anyhow.
    Right there is too many vested interests who don't want to upset the apple cart from OMD. Can't imagine that they are willing to let Spencer mess with OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    For those thinking nothing will come if it...you are wrong.
    We have Peter now actively wanting to seek answers, we have Dr Strange flat out addressing this elephant in the room. Hell yeah it’s going to be addressed.
    Undone? No. Because then we have the argument of more wasted years being forgotten/erased from OMD to now.
    Undoing it would be even more damaging than OMD was in its day.

It is best to open the wound, clean it, and let it close well.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post

yup like my patients just change the wound dressing and rely on the body to heal
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Exactly. At least then it won’t be this big stain on the whole thing.

Spectacular Member

Exactly. At least then it won’t be this big stain on the whole thing.
    Yeah, my Spidey reading has been very sporadic these past thirteen years. I've read stories here and there that were recommended to me long after they were over, but actually addressing OMD -- letting it sit in the light of day, in full acknowledgement -- is the only way for me to care about the character again. I'd even argue that it's objectively the only way to rehabilitate the character.

We have Peter now actively wanting to seek answers, we have Dr Strange flat out addressing this elephant in the room. Hell yeah it’s going to be addressed.
    Undone? No. Because then we have the argument of more wasted years being forgotten/erased from OMD to now.
    I'm 99 % sure something WILL come out out of it, but I don't think it's going to happen right now, maybe 10 or so issues later or even more. According to next covers and solicitations, Peter is going to get a new costume, a new job, he is gonna have his hands full with Kingpin and Tombstone etc. Nothing suggests Kindred or Mephisto anytime soon. This issue is big "to be continued".

Astonishing Member

I disagree 1000%. Slott and company did unbelievable damage to not only Peter but MJ and Felicia ( remember Queen Pin?) as well. Admitting the mistake and rectifying it are the only ways you can possibly make things better. I had a lot of issues with Slott’s run, and I have been over them many times but the main thing is not only the lack of character growth in Peter, MJ and Felicia, but the regression of Peter into a man child. That lack of growth is exactly what Peter commented on in ASM 60. He is unaware but we know very well it goes right back to OMD. OMD needs to get the Chapter One /Abrams Spider-Man treatment and be erased from history and not brought back
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 02-24-2021 at 03:07 PM.

It's great to flat out see it's going where a lot of us were hoping it's going, this was a really good issue taking into account the issues that have loomed over Spidey comics for the last 10 years and our pain is Peter's pain. I feel like we won't be getting any follow up on this for a while, disappointingly, though. Next is new costume, new job, big Kingpin battles.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    He is unaware but we know very well it goes right back to OMD. OMD needs to get the Chapter One /Abrams Spider-Man treatment and be erased from history and not brought back
    OMD is too much a sacred cow at Marvel. Spencer couldn't retcon/undo it even if he wanted to.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Twilight Mexican View Post
    Yeah, my Spidey reading has been very sporadic these past thirteen years. I've read stories here and there that were recommended to me long after they were over, but actually addressing OMD -- letting it sit in the light of day, in full acknowledgement -- is the only way for me to care about the character again. I'd even argue that it's objectively the only way to rehabilitate the character.
    On that last part, I'm in full agreement with you. OMD was a betrayal of everything the character of Spider-Man was supposed to stand for, and as such, until that's fully reckoned with and redressed, Spider-Man will always be (somewhat) tainted. That aside, with the last page of this issue and Peter's monologue as if Harry/Kindred was right in front of him, I have a bit of hope that things are finally on track for a correction of this great error. And speaking of errors . . . well, Mary Jane has figured out that Mysterio and Kindred have something to do with each other and she's likely staying in this clandestine partnership with Mysterio as a means to get to the root of that connection between them, though yeah, I do see it backfiring on her if/when Peter finds out.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Two things, that made me curious:

1. Does Mysterio know Peter is Spider-Man
    2. Was the Kindred that Peter saw an illusion created by Mysterio?

Also, the part where it says about the need of a person, that You can trust... And we immediately see MJ and Mysterio.

Anyway, nice issue, good cliffhanger. I'm ready for 10 issues with Kingpin :P

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    OMD is too much a sacred cow at Marvel. Spencer couldn't retcon/undo it even if he wanted to.
    Saying adios to OMD should not be a sacred cow. If a great story like Kraven’s Last Hunt gets reconnected, why not one that is the worst in Spider-Man and possibly comic book history? Basically if you are going to address it do not do it half assed. Send that story where it belongs. Hint: Mephisto lives there.

So ... Mephisto says he doesn't know who Kindred is. Do we believe it or is he lying? Both seem equally likely.
    He is the Prince of Lies but I do think he is just letting things run their course with Harry doing his own "project". After all, Mephisto is all about people's poor judgment coming back to bite them, and it would reinforce the concept that this is all on Peter's OMD mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    Two things, that made me curious:

1. Does Mysterio know Peter is Spider-Man
    2. Was the Kindred that Peter saw an illusion created by Mysterio?
    1) Yes (see Spider-Men (2015) if not, Kindred could have told him)
    2) Could have been the case, but I am not 100 % sure.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

It was a better issue than I expected. Probably the best written Peter/MJ interaction since the JMS days. Peter acknowledging he always ends up back in the same place was a nice touch and subtle jab at the "status quo". I imagine this will end with some kind of acknowledgment of the deal with Mephisto, but I don't see this ending in any kind of victory for Peter that doesn't come with another price to be paid.