Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

CDC steps up its Covid vaccine booster recommendation amid concerns about omicron variant
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/29/covi...-concerns.html

CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Monday that all U.S. adults “should” get a Covid vaccine booster. Previously the agency said all adults “may” get the shot. The strengthened recommendation comes as public health officials worry that the omicron variant could exacerbate an expected winter infection surge.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Oh boy.

Covid-19 Antibody Drugs Are Challenged by Omicron, Preliminary Testing Indicates
    Regeneron said its antibody drug cocktail was found to lose effectiveness against the new variant
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...es-11638270003

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oh boy.

Covid-19 Antibody Drugs Are Challenged by Omicron, Preliminary Testing Indicates
    Regeneron said its antibody drug cocktail was found to lose effectiveness against the new variant
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-1...es-11638270003
    It just means that the meds need to be reformulated to be more effective. In most countries, Delta is still the predominate strain, so we have a little time. For the few countries where Omicron is making it's self known, those are the places where the testing will be dine ot prefect the treatments and vaccines.

That's all we can do.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    It just means that the meds need to be reformulated to be more effective. In most countries, Delta is still the predominate strain, so we have a little time. For the few countries where Omicron is making it's self known, those are the places where the testing will be dine ot prefect the treatments and vaccines.

That's all we can do.
    On top of that, I'm sure scientists already figured on other variants popping up and have been working to find ways to combat them.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Well over thanksgiving with my family the vaccine stuff rarely came up, thankfully. My sister tried to give me a book, though, by Robert F. Kennedy about how Fauci, Bill Gates and their allies are using COVID to bring humanity under global totalitarian rule, blaming Fauci specifically for everything from food allergies to lupus. And of course all the infighting between Dems and Reps, blacks and whites, you name it.

His solution? Purchase my book and convince your friends and neighbors to do it as well so they can think like him. Can't make this stuff up, that is literally his only solution, to buy a book and evangelize this crap. Its so obviously a big scam I just don't even know how people fall for it.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-30-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

But Scott, it was in a book, it has to be true!
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

We'll know for sure tomorrow with the announcement but new restrictions are being considered.

US expected to require stricter testing protocols for international travelers
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ghts-travelers

Amid the spread of the Omicron coronavirus variant, the Biden administration intends to toughen testing requirements for international travelers coming to the US, including both vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced in a statement on Tuesday that officials are working on a plan that would require international travelers to be tested for Covid-19 within a day before their flight to the US. Currently, fully vaccinated travelers can test for Covid-19 up to three days before their trip.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the shifting scenario, said additional options that were being considered included testing post-travel and even a possible self-quarantine requirement.
    What's also being reported is that they're considering requiring American citizens returning from overseas to quarantine regardless of vaccination status. I guess we'll know more soon.

I got my booster jab today. Pfizer this time, to go with my Moderna shots for the initial vaccination.

TWO! Two strains of alien DNA! Ah, ah, ah!
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I got my booster jab today. Pfizer this time, to go with my Moderna shots for the initial vaccination.

TWO! Two strains of alien DNA! Ah, ah, ah!
    Did you get any super powers.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Did you get any super powers.
    Not yet, unless you count the power to immediately trigger anti vac buffoons. Maybe I need a third strain?
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 12-03-2021 at 12:31 AM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm on the fence about when and if to get the 3rd shot. Can't decide if I should wait for the dead-virus-thingy or just should take anything "on sale". I've reduced contacts (there weren't many to begin with), shop really early or late, ride the bike instead of bus or subway and always have been a fan of cleaning my hands. It is a lot of work to get a 3rd shot in Germany (unless you're vulnerable) on top of that.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Not yet, unless you count the power to immediately trigger anti vac buffoons. Maybe I need a third strain?
    Go for it, my brother!

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I'm on the fence about when and if to get the 3rd shot. Can't decide if I should wait for the dead-virus-thingy or just should take anything "on sale". I've reduced contacts (there weren't many to begin with), shop really early or late, ride the bike instead of bus or subway and always have been a fan of cleaning my hands. It is a lot of work to get a 3rd shot in Germany (unless you're vulnerable) on top of that.
    If you can get that booster, go for it. It doesn't hurt to avoid taking chances.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I'm in Germany and it was very easy for me. I heard about a doctor's office where they did not care about the 6 months gap. I called on Tuesday and got vaxxed on Friday. Empty waiting room, no wait.

There's also an app for that, a friend used it and found an appointment in a neighboring town the next day.

Most larger towns have walk-in vaccination sites where you can get the booster 5 months after the second shot.

Do you live in a small village?

Retired

I expect to be contacted in January to get another shot. I got my second shot of Astra in June, so six months means January. And because it was Astra, they are recommending that people get a shot of something else for the third shot. However, morally this doesn't feel right to me. The Canadian government says they have plenty of supply, so it's easy to give people the shot, yet they also said they would share the vaccine with poorer countries. And in many countries, people still haven't got the first shot--which is why there are so many variants.

If the well-off countries had shared their supply with the disadvantaged on a global vaccination program with equal access for all, the chances for the virus to mutate and spread would have been lessened.

Me getting a third shot is less of a priority than everyone in the world getting a first shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I expect to be contacted in January to get another shot. I got my second shot of Astra in June, so six months means January. And because it was Astra, they are recommending that people get a shot of something else for the third shot. However, morally this doesn't feel right to me. The Canadian government says they have plenty of supply, so it's easy to give people the shot, yet they also said they would share the vaccine with poorer countries. And in many countries, people still haven't got the first shot--which is why there are so many variants.

If the well-off countries had shared their supply with the disadvantaged on a global vaccination program with equal access for all, the chances for the virus to mutate and spread would have been lessened.

Me getting a third shot is less of a priority than everyone in the world getting a first shot.
    Let the government worry about handing out vaccines, best to get you third shot as soon as you are able. Mixing vaccines is safe and effective, so my personal recommendation is to go for it. You getting third shot won't impact anyone other than yourself. There is enough vaccine to go around, it's the distribution that is the problem.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.