Page 32 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It seems just bizarre, how do they administer medicine when they seem to... be against medicine??? ESPECIALLY when they are being exposed to the virus more than any other group. Surely self-protection kicks in? Or is this just a hugely minor minor faction? And the press use all five examples they found across millions to up the tension that it's a serious issue?

I just can't. I don't understand how they work in medicine yet cause such dangers by avoiding medicine???
    I think it's important remember that there are many levels of nursing. Each type of nurse has different levels of science and medical training. I have a friend who is a nurse with a Master's Degree and had to undergo a very rigorous program. She is versed in a lot of medicine and is often in consults with doctors when it comes to patient care. I also know nurses who hold a certificate who are effectively just there to change bed pans. They're both called nurses though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Assuming they don't get politicized like the vaccines are. Any progress in new treatments is welcome news.
    I hope it isn't. Why politicize anything at all that can help? Strikes me to be a bit counterproductive...

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I hope so as well. To be safe for her new grandchild and keep the rest of the family safe. I hope it all works out.
    Thanks, you and yours as well.

Its bizarre, the same people who won't get vaccinated will put all sorts of home remedies into their bodies, for everything from curing warts to fertility, because mystical power of plants or some unknown BS can be imagined to be safe. They'll pop Advils like they were candy, a substance that kills over 10,000 people and sends many more to the emergency room per year. Folks will go lick a toad for health but a vaccine that has actually been developed under the scientific method, tested, and used successfully on millions is the big hoax.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

Went to the supermarket today (last time I was there was Thursday) and found that they took away all the signs and arrows for where to go and where to stand. And half the employees were now maskless. Well I guess someone decided the pandemic is over. It's a surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Went to the supermarket today (last time I was there was Thursday) and found that they took away all the signs and arrows for where to go and where to stand. And half the employees were now maskless. Well I guess someone decided the pandemic is over. It's a surprise to me.
    Businesses have it difficult when told that Masks are optional. Not saying that there aren't some business owners who have been anti-mask from day one, but most are just doing their best to figure out what to do.

Since the word came down here in NJ that masks were optional, except in certain places like doctor's offices and hospitals, I've been experimenting with going maskless. The result? My asthma and allergies have gotten much worse.

All things considered, I think I'll wear a mask indoors in most places for a while longer.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Businesses have it difficult when told that Masks are optional. Not saying that there aren't some business owners who have been anti-mask from day one, but most are just doing their best to figure out what to do.

Since the word came down here in NJ that masks were optional, except in certain places like doctor's offices and hospitals, I've been experimenting with going maskless. The result? My asthma and allergies have gotten much worse.

All things considered, I think I'll wear a mask indoors in most places for a while longer.
    I understand that's why so many Japanese people wore masks prior to the pandemic, pollen season and allergies. So I'm not surprised by that result.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well, I have a nephew who has a really bad peanut allergy. When he was a baby his pediatrician told his mom to not give him any nut products until 2 and no peanuts until 4 years old. Because ‘science’ said early exposure to nuts was causing the big increase in peanut allergies. Obviously, he ended up allergic to peanuts anyway and only a few months after the allergy was discovered, ‘science’ changed its mind and now said the opposite, late exposure to peanuts caused severe allergies. You’ll probably say, well, science changes with new information, yes it does, but the doctor must have had facts and evidence for their original position and to give guidelines that turned out to be completely wrong. Will they find more evidence and change position again? Maybe, maybe not, but if someone had been hurt by ‘following science’, they might not be so inclined to follow it whole heartedly. (My nephew’s family did get the vaccine, but I could see how they could have gone the opposite direction.)

People in healthcare have seen all the good medicine can do, but have probably seen a lot of medical mistakes or medicines that were supposed to be safe and effective and then turned out not to be. There is probably an element of ‘well I’ve gone this long and didn’t get it yet, or already got it and I was fine’ involved, as well.
    I'm willing to bet people in healthcare see a billion times more benefits from medicine, than the few, limited dangers of it. So no, I don't buy this as a reason why anyone in medicine wouldn't support taking medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    By now, 3.9 billion doses of the various covid vaccines have been administered.
    Some people would like to wait until a few more people have tried it before they do.
    EPIC! Can this be put on a T-shirt, ASAP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think it's important remember that there are many levels of nursing. Each type of nurse has different levels of science and medical training. I have a friend who is a nurse with a Master's Degree and had to undergo a very rigorous program. She is versed in a lot of medicine and is often in consults with doctors when it comes to patient care. I also know nurses who hold a certificate who are effectively just there to change bed pans. They're both called nurses though.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is very true. YES! People involved in nursing, technically called 'nurses' but... not the trained rigorous nurse program nurses we instantly think of. That makes a lot more sense, thank-you for solving this conundrum.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

A bar in Oxford Ohio is requiring people to show proof of vaccine, a negative test in the last 72 hours or proof of Anti Body test before they will let you in the door. Of course state republicans are going nuts. No legal action yet but several people are getting together it seems including the owner of a restaurant near by who claims the rule will hurt his business.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    A bar in Oxford Ohio is requiring people to show proof of vaccine, a negative test in the last 72 hours or proof of Anti Body test before they will let you in the door. Of course state republicans are going nuts. No legal action yet but several people are getting together it seems including the owner of a restaurant near by who claims the rule will hurt his business.
    At first I was pretty adamantly against carding people, but I'm damn sick of this disease lingering around because of idiots who can't take a little bitty vaccine shot and who are walking around disrespectful and maskless. Release the carding hounds, I say! And at least let businesses exert their choice, see how it goes.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    At first I was pretty adamantly against carding people, but I'm damn sick of this disease lingering around because of idiots who can't take a little bitty vaccine shot and who are walking around disrespectful and maskless. Release the carding hounds, I say! And at least let businesses exert their choice, see how it goes.
    I have no problem with carding either. There's way too many irresponsible people out there refusing to be vaccinated, thus making things harder for everyone else because these nutbags are potential spreaders of the virus, and nobody who owns a business, be it a bar, eatery or store wants those idiots around.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Most Unvaccinated Americans Still Think Shots Are Riskier Than COVID

More than half of unvaccinated Americans think COVID-19 shots are more dangerous than the virus, according to a new poll out Wednesday.

That belief is wrong. The virus has already killed more than 600,000 Americans. And it’s killing more every day.

But the new fatalities are almost exclusively among the unvaccinated, offering vivid proof that the shots work and that they are safe, just as officials and scientists have been saying all along.

Even so, a significant portion of Americans remain wary. Wednesday’s polling report helps explain why, especially when it comes to those who seem dead-set against getting the vaccine.

The report comes from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation’s Vaccine Monitor project, which has been tracking public perceptions and experiences with the vaccine since December, when the first shots became available. And there’s certainly been a lot of progress since then.

F.D.A. Aims to Give Final Approval to Pfizer Vaccine by Early Next Month

President Biden said last week that he expected a fully approved vaccine in early fall. But the F.D.A.’s unofficial deadline is Labor Day or sooner, according to multiple people familiar with the plan. The agency said in a statement that its leaders recognized that approval might inspire more public confidence and had “taken an all-hands-on-deck approach” to the work.

Giving final approval to the Pfizer vaccine — rather than relying on the emergency authorization granted late last year by the F.D.A. — could help increase inoculation rates at a moment when the highly transmissible Delta variant of the virus is sharply driving up the number of new cases.
    Moderna, the second most widely used vaccine in the United States, filed for final approval of its vaccine on June 1. But the company is still submitting data and has not said when it will finish. Johnson & Johnson, the third vaccine authorized for emergency use, has not yet applied but plans to do so later this year.

Astonishing Member

Kieron- I’m sure they do see a lot of the good things, but ‘bad things’ always stand out more. That kind of human nature, to remember bad over good (or neutral) to anyone saying the ‘bed pan changers’ are nurses, no. Nurses have at least two year educational program and licensing requirements to be ‘nurses’. You are thinking of CNA’s, orderlies or other hospital staff. Because bed pans still need changing, despite what you think of the people doing it…

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Well, I have a nephew who has a really bad peanut allergy. When he was a baby his pediatrician told his mom to not give him any nut products until 2 and no peanuts until 4 years old. Because ‘science’ said early exposure to nuts was causing the big increase in peanut allergies. Obviously, he ended up allergic to peanuts anyway and only a few months after the allergy was discovered, ‘science’ changed its mind and now said the opposite, late exposure to peanuts caused severe allergies. You’ll probably say, well, science changes with new information, yes it does, but the doctor must have had facts and evidence for their original position and to give guidelines that turned out to be completely wrong. Will they find more evidence and change position again? Maybe, maybe not, but if someone had been hurt by ‘following science’, they might not be so inclined to follow it whole heartedly. (My nephew’s family did get the vaccine, but I could see how they could have gone the opposite direction.)

People in healthcare have seen all the good medicine can do, but have probably seen a lot of medical mistakes or medicines that were supposed to be safe and effective and then turned out not to be. There is probably an element of ‘well I’ve gone this long and didn’t get it yet, or already got it and I was fine’ involved, as well.

And my cousin was told by the pediatrician to feed her child very small amounts of nut products to build up an immunity and he overcame his allergy. So this isn't a case of "medicine" as one Dr with bad advice.

And the true, verifiable fact is far more people are hurt by not following science than hurt by following it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!