Page 14 of 80 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I finished up my second PFizer vaccine last Monday evening. I have to give it Indiana and their Dept. of Health for having everything really organized. For my first vaccine, I went to the website that was set up and then put in my county. I had a choice of locations, most of which were just short drives. Countingf the 15 minute observation period after the vaccine, each visit was around 25-20 minutes at the most. I had some soreness in the arm but just put a warm compress on it for a few minutes and then just let it work itself out. Beyond that, no fever or anything. I had also been making a point of eating yogurt with low sugar content pretty often for lunch time for the past few months.

Now I saw that Pfizer and Moderna are preparing for a booster shot phase for the fully vaccinated. Or we may have to get an annual shot like with the flu.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-20-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I finished up my second PFizer vaccine last Monday evening. I have to give it Indiana and their Dept. of Health for having everything really organized. For my first vaccine, I went to the website that was set up and then put in my county. I had a choice of locations, most of which were just short drives. Countingf the 15 minute observation period after the vaccine, each visit was around 25-20 minutes at the most. I had some soreness in the arm but just put a warm compress on it for a few minutes and then just let it work itself out. Beyond that, no fever or anything. I had also been making a point of eating yogurt with low sugar content pretty often for lunch time for the past few months.

Now I saw that Pfizer and Moderna are preparing for a booster shot phase for the fully vaccinated. Or we may have to get an annual shot like with the flu.
    The Booster would be in the Fall, then after that ot might be given yearly along with the Flu Shot. Anyone who get's the flu shot shouldn't even think twice about the COVID shot.

Glad you are all Fauci'd up. Can't wait until I get my 2nd shot, in about three weeks.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Here’s just how unequal the global coronavirus vaccine rollout has been

The globe is quickly being split into coronavirus vaccine “haves” and “have-nots,” creating a gap that may define the next phase of the pandemic.

Using publicly available figures from Our World in Data, The Washington Post found that nearly half — 48 percent — of all vaccine doses administered so far have gone to just 16 percent of the world’s population in what the World Bank considers high-income countries.
    Through the summer and fall of last year, wealthy nations cut deals directly with vaccine-makers, buying up a disproportionate share of early doses — and undermining a World Health Organization-backed effort, called Covax, to equitably distribute shots.

So now, in a small number of relatively wealthy nations, including the United States, doses are relatively plentiful and mass immunization campaigns are progressing apace. But much of the world is still struggling to secure enough supply. For many, herd immunity is many months — if not years — away, which could extend the crisis.

A team at Duke University’s Global Health Innovation Center found that high-income countries locked up 53 percent of near-term vaccine supply. They estimate that the world’s poorest 92 countries will not be able to reach a vaccination rate of 60 percent of their populations until 2023 or later.

I think this is a little... simplistic in how the distribution has gone. Several countries poured billions into the vaccines BEFORE they were all proven to work, and the reason such mass production could be done so quickly is due to these vital, early injections of capital. It's a little disingenuous for the article to describe it as "wealthy nations cut deals directly with vaccine-makers" when that's not explaining the reality of the process.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Simplistic and just, realistic, I don’t see how it’s extending the crisis. If the ‘rich countries’ were trying to be more fair, and only vaccinated their own people 5%, so that all of the other countries could also get vaccines 5%, then nobodies close the ‘herd immunity’ and it’s still taking months or years to get there. Possibly even longer, depending on logistics. All the rich countries are going to help get the poorer countries get the vaccine (and they have started to do that) but they are going to focus on helping their own countries first.

Breaking news is that EU is taking Astra Zeneca to court because too few doses have been delivered.

It’s a new low in the ongoing row between the two I think.

U.S. Will Share 60 Million Doses Of AstraZeneca Vaccine With Other Countries

The U.S. will release 60 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine from drugmaker AstraZeneca to other countries over the next several months, the White House announced Monday.

The vaccine, which has not been authorized for use in the U.S., will be released once it clears safety reviews by the Food and Drug Administration. That could happen in the "coming weeks," White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said at a press briefing.

The White House did not specify which countries would receive the vaccine, but approximately 10 million doses are ready to ship once regulatory clearance has been granted, Psaki said. The remaining doses are expected to be distributed throughout May and June.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has been widely used across Europe and elsewhere around the world. But the company has not yet applied for emergency authorization in the United States. The vaccine is reported to be very effective at preventing transmission and hospitalization, but the company has faced questions from U.S. regulators about data from its trials.

In the absence of FDA authorization, the U.S. government has been sitting on a stockpile of millions of doses, with more on order.

Gov. Jim Justice (R-WV) announces a new vaccine incentive program for residents 16 to 35:

“We’re going to give a $100 savings bond to every single one that steps up and takes their vaccine.”

Some are opting to get the COVID-19 shot at bars instead of vaccination sites: "Every idea is worth considering"

'Give me a shot of rum with a Moderna chaser'

Health officials across the country are getting creative in how they convince hesitant Americans to get the COVID-19 vaccine. In West Virginia, the state will give residents ages 16 to 35 a $100 saving bond if they get vaccinated.

The incentives come as the amount of Americans getting vaccinated is dropping. According to the CDC, the daily average for vaccinations has dropped 20% since the start of the month, a worrying trend.

Less than one-third of Louisiana's population has received a first dose. The state has mass vaccination sites, including one located in Baton Rouge. But these locations are inconvenient for some.

Instead, some Louisianans — like Brandon Breaux and his friends — are opting to get their shot inside bars.

"It was a shot for a shot night," Breaux told CBS News' Omar Villafranca.

Extraordinary Member

I agree, any idea is worth considering. Anything that gets more shots in more arms faster.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hey, whatever works, and gets people vaccinated.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

When I got my vaccine, I rated the whole process and found it got 6/10.

Positives - Quick, painless, very well organized. Got a nice plastic holder for my multipass.
    Negatives - No perks, not even a lousy juice box. Plus they kind of over-congratulated me, which was annoying.

So yah, alcohol and vaccine is a great idea.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Meanwhile my country's vaccination rollout is at snail's pace.
    They've only now started with 60+ y/o.
    I'm 23 and this pace it will take while....

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Meanwhile my country's vaccination rollout is at snail's pace.
    They've only now started with 60+ y/o.
    I'm 23 and this pace it will take while....
    Does your country have access to enough of the Vaccine?

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

I got My 2nd Vaccine nearly a week ago, I had to set up my own 2nd appointment cause my 1st one was a walkin.
    I got the Pfizer-BioNTech and honestly I had very little to no real reactions to my 2nd, more on my 1st dose!

It is something that has been on my mind now since I started getting the vaccine, being near my fully vaccinated marker and what that will really mean for me and my family, it is going to be major moment to ponder on after having to go threw all we have gone threw.

I work for the USPS, we never closed over all this, this Vaccine means allot to me and my family, Blessing to all those that got us the vaccines and my prays to all of you working to get yours.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!