Page 7 of 80 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Finally got an appointment for a vaccine, Moderna in my case. Monday I get the first jab. I'll feel a bit better when the second dose kicks in though...

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Finally got an appointment for a vaccine, Moderna in my case. Monday I get the first jab. I'll feel a bit better when the second dose kicks in though...
    A couple of people from my job have already had COVID, and they got the second shot reaction from the first dose. Something to remember for anyone who has had it already, although still better than getting it a second time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

About 12 days after the first jab, you start having some protections. After 3 weeks, severe illness and death have become very unlikely. So even in the days before the 2nd jab, you can breathe a lot easier.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    About 12 days after the first jab, you start having some protections. After 3 weeks, severe illness and death have become very unlikely. So even in the days before the 2nd jab, you can breathe a lot easier.
    Awesome! I do what I can to avoid COVID now, but I'm happily looking forward to less worry about getting a bad case of it.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Happy to say that the AstraZeneca scare did not discourage people from the age group that seems not at risk from those blood clods to taking the shot: All appointments for AstraZeneca shots that became available for people over 60 when we stopped using it on younger people got SNATCHED UP within a few hours.

Finally got an appointment for my first and second jab, combined with my older relatives having already gotten the vaccine, I'm looking forward to start getting past this.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Received an email that I was now eligible. Scheduled an appointment for this Friday and another for next month for the vaccine for myself and my husband.

And yes, other countries need vaccines as well. That hasn't been lost on the government.

Yellen warns that slow vaccine rollout in poor countries poses threat to U.S., global economies

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Monday called for speeding up the distribution of the coronavirus vaccine in poorer nations, arguing the U.S. and global economies are threatened by the impact of covid-19 on the developing world.

While the United States and other rich countries are hoping for a return to normalcy as soon as this fall, many parts of the developing world are not on pace to have widespread vaccination of their populations until 2023 or 2024. Those countries have largely suffered more devastating economic impacts from covid, in part because they do not have the fiscal capacity to authorize the levels of emergency spending approved in the United States.

In prepared remarks Monday to the Chicago Council on Global Affairs ahead of meetings this week of international finance officials, Yellen called on richer countries to step up both economic and public health assistance to poorer nations reeling from covid. She noted as many as 150 million people across the world risk falling into extreme poverty as a result of the crisis.
    “This would be a profound economic tragedy for those countries, one we should care about. But, that’s obvious. What’s less obvious — but equally true — is that this divergence would also be a problem for America," Yellen said. “Our first task must clearly be stopping the virus by ensuring that vaccinations, testing and therapeutics are available as widely as possible."
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member

Just back from getting Moderna first shot. Got my half completed vaccine card, second half, pending. Took me a day to manage to book the appointment, and a 30 mile drive, but at least I got it started just about as soon as I was eligible.

Spectacular Member

My wife and I got to sign up this morning for our first shots this week.

Almost all medical treatments carry a risk, the choice to use them is a result of balancing risk and benefit. If AZ doses can be easily replaced with an alternative, then that is better, but even if the clot chance is elevated it isn't necessarily better not to use it. If that is all that a particular country can obtain, for example, then it is arguably better to have a vaccinated population. Group-specific restriction seems like an obvious response.

However, I would caution against using somebody's being a scientist as a sign that they are right. We get things wrong, and there are plenty of idiots among us. Although to clarify, that isn't a comment on the virologist mentioned, just a general point that scientist =/= correct.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Extraordinary Member

My experience with getting my first Moderna was illustrative of a problem IMO. Whilst in line, which BTW went fast with no problems, one of my better experiences waiting in line, I talked to others waiting, and the story was exactly like mine. Which was that it was hard to get that appointment. It took me about a day online to get hooked up, which is about how long it took most of the others. Like them, I tried first at CVS and Walgreens. Took me over an hour of bouncing back and forth on various poorly designed and hard to use sites only to find that contrary to depictions, they simply didn't have ANY vaccine in SoCal. And I gave up on Walgreens after they wanted to force me to use their app in order to sign up. Which was just to find out if they had any. Which I learned they did not. So after trying them and others, I went back to the county website I tried initially and abandoned after not being able to find anything. Eventually, I was able to make the appointment...35 miles away.

Thing is, I'm probably better at doing that sort of thing than a lot of people. How many simply gave up after trying that? A lot, I'm sure, judging from the comments I heard from folks in line saying they almost gave up, and they too were computer literate, some dev guys like me.

I'm worried that a lot of folks are getting left behind. Apart from my insurance company's email, I got no notification that I was even eligible. I only knew because I watch the local news, but what about the homeless? What about other people who simply don't follow the news? The point is, we want everyone to get vaccinated if they haven't already recovered from the disease. And interestingly, research indicates it might be good even for those people to get the jab, which together might confer much stronger resistance to the virus.

So while I had a great experience at the actual shot site, (an ambulance company in my case), getting the appointment was far too hard. No one should have to travel that far. I was able because I have a car, but even here, not everyone does, or is physically capable of driving. It seems to me that our state system of distributing the vaccines and giving them is terrible. We SHOULD have them at every CVS, Walgreens, and whatever other business is everywhere and capable of putting the shot into shoulders.

My dad is no longer on the waiting list. He has his first shot on Friday at 1230. I am so happy about this.

Any side effects that I should get a heads up on? It is the Moderna.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My dad is no longer on the waiting list. He has his first shot on Friday at 1230. I am so happy about this.

Any side effects that I should get a heads up on? It is the Moderna.
    Mine was Moderna, a couple of days ago. Only thing at all was a slight soreness in my shoulder where I got it.

Mine was Moderna, a couple of days ago. Only thing at all was a slight soreness in my shoulder where I got it.
    Thank you. I get worried because of his poor health. But I havnt really heard any horror stories.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

All citizens 16 and older here in Pennsylvania will be eligible for the vaccine on April 19th.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!