Page 46 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

You know, I'm all for encouraging people to get the jab, but I'm also for the truth and common decency, and Twitter went WAY over the line, censoring and fact checking the obituary of a woman who died of a reaction to the vaccine, (J and J). It does happen, rarely, but it does happen, and Twitter behaved abhorrently, in a completely uncivilized manner, and they need to publicly apologize to the family.

https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obit...rjG56640UBtBIU

They did finally put it back up, but without an apology, and after calling the obit "misleading", which is insulting to the woman, her family, her friends, and indeed, everyone. It also does the truth a grave disservice.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-09-2021 at 07:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

Moderna, Racing for Profits, Keeps Covid Vaccine Out of Reach of Poor

Moderna, whose coronavirus vaccine appears to be the world’s best defense against Covid-19, has been supplying its shots almost exclusively to wealthy nations, keeping poorer countries waiting and earning billions in profit.

After developing a breakthrough vaccine with the financial and scientific support of the U.S. government, Moderna has shipped a greater share of its doses to wealthy countries than any other vaccine manufacturer, according to Airfinity, a data firm that tracks vaccine shipments.

About one million doses of Moderna’s vaccine have gone to countries that the World Bank classifies as low income. By contrast, 8.4 million Pfizer doses and about 25 million single-shot Johnson & Johnson doses have gone to those countries.
    Interesting article really. Headline leans toward Moderna trying to hoard piles of cash, and shots for only the richer nations. But, the article actually takes into account this is ALL that Moderna produces. The other Vaccine manufactures have other sources of income other products drugs and vaccines and larger production facilities and infrastructure around the world to get their out faster. The article calls "essentially the premium vaccine" according to recent studies showing it lasts longer and is more effective overall than all the others.

Is it really bad though to let all the other makers pick up the load on donations and lower cost shots to other nations? Not saying Moderna is right here but they are also trying to develop that combo/flu/ third covid shot booster etc.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Saw this on Twitter:

Food for thought, yo!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

News of Cases Continue to go in more of a Hopeful Direction.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

In case this hasn't been mentioned, Boosters are now available, though not for everyone. Moderna and Pfizer for age 65+ and those with compromised immune systems. J&J fro everyone, because they figure now that J&J shoudl have been a two dose to begin with.

Also

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines ace the effectiveness test

But now, for the first time, researchers have shown that such ‘mix and match’ regimens are highly effective at preventing COVID-19 — roughly matching or even exceeding the performance of mRNA vaccines.

The high antibody levels and other strong immune responses elicited by mix-and-match regimens suggested they would offer good protection against disease. Still, “I was delighted to see that it’s as effective as one would expect,” says immunologist Martina Sester at Saarland University in Homburg, Germany. “This is really good news and this will certainly have influence on clinical practice.”

“These emerging effectiveness data support the use of these approved COVID-19 vaccines in either the standard or mixed schedules,” adds Matthew Snape, a vaccinologist at the University of Oxford, UK.
    Mixing covid vaccines? What you need to know about mix-and-match booster shots.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    In case this hasn't been mentioned, Boosters are now available, though not for everyone. Moderna and Pfizer for age 65+ and those with compromised immune systems. J&J fro everyone, because they figure now that J&J shoudl have been a two dose to begin with.

Also

Mix-and-match COVID vaccines ace the effectiveness test

Mixing covid vaccines? What you need to know about mix-and-match booster shots.
    Got my mom her booster shot this week, she's 85 and got the second dose in March. She had a slightly stronger reaction than from the first two jabs (chills and fatigue), but is all better 36 hours later.

Big Bird's vaccination announcement sparks backlash from conservatives, GOP

Big Bird's seemingly innocuous — and obviously fictional — announcement Saturday that he has been vaccinated against Covid-19 caused a stir online, as Republicans like Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas accused the yellow anthropomorphic bird of tweeting "government propaganda."

"I got the COVID-19 vaccine today! My wing is feeling a little sore, but it'll give my body an extra protective boost that keeps me and others healthy," the 8-foot, 2-inch Muppet wrote on Twitter. "Ms. @EricaRHill even said I've been getting vaccines since I was a little bird. I had no idea!"

While Big Bird has been on "Sesame Street" for decades, his ageless character is meant to be 6 years old. He became eligible for the vaccine only in late October, when the Food and Drug Administration announced that it had authorized the Pfizer vaccine for children ages 5 to 11.

The right wing quickly seized on the Muppet's tweet.
    "Government propaganda…for your 5 year old!" Cruz tweeted.

"Brainwashing children who are not at risk from COVID. Twisted," Lisa Boothe of Fox News wrote.

Robbie Starbuck, a Republican running for Congress in Tennessee, joked about Big Bird's dying from the shot, saying "*7 days later* Big blood clot Bird is served!"
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lord have mercy! What fools these Qpublicans are!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Might be a good alternative for those with medical exemptions for the vaccine. New results out from clinical trial with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Regeneron says antibody cocktail reduced infection risk by nearly 82% over 8 months:
    https://www.wpxi.com/news/trending/c...KZX4ZLYQ2CE3A/

Biden purchased a lot of Regeneron in September, a smart move:
    https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...d-off-shortage
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Might be a good alternative for those with medical exemptions for the vaccine. New results out from clinical trial with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Regeneron says antibody cocktail reduced infection risk by nearly 82% over 8 months:
    https://www.wpxi.com/news/trending/c...KZX4ZLYQ2CE3A/

Biden purchased a lot of Regeneron in September, a smart move:
    https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...d-off-shortage
    They has been great strides in treating COVID. Of course this is for those with COVID, and those who can't be vaccinated must be ultra-cautious, as they are 10X more likely to contract the virus.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    They has been great strides in treating COVID. Of course this is for those with COVID, and those who can't be vaccinated must be ultra-cautious, as they are 10X more likely to contract the virus.
    Seems like this particular study was focused on the uninfected, which would be great news if the reduced risk really is that high. Not perfect of course, but good.

"In a Monday news release, the pharmaceutical company said a new analysis of results from the Phase 3 clinical trial found that a single dose of its REGEN-COV monoclonal antibody treatment reduced uninfected participants’ risk of contracting symptomatic COVID-19 by 81.6% from two to eight months after administration, up from 81.4% after one month."

Astonishing Member

Seems like this particular study was focused on the uninfected, which would be great news if the reduced risk really is that high. Not perfect of course, but good.

"In a Monday news release, the pharmaceutical company said a new analysis of results from the Phase 3 clinical trial found that a single dose of its REGEN-COV monoclonal antibody treatment reduced uninfected participants’ risk of contracting symptomatic COVID-19 by 81.6% from two to eight months after administration, up from 81.4% after one month."
    I mean thats nice if true. But those things are super expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean thats nice if true. But those things are super expensive.
    Extremely expensive. The federal government is providing them for free (aka tax-payer funded) for now but not sure how long that could last.

BANNED

Extremely expensive. The federal government is providing them for free (aka tax-payer funded) for now but not sure how long that could last.
    They are not concerned. Look at the infrastructure bill. We just keep piling that debt selfishly and our kids, children's kids or something like that will have to suffer for our greed.