Page 77 of 80 FirstFirst ... 27677374757677787980 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1196

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    So people in my generation might already have some protection from Monkeypox. So I guess that if you don't have a smallpox scar, consider getting a Monkeypox vaccine.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    So people in my generation might already have some protection from Monkeypox. So I guess that if you don't have a smallpox scar, consider getting a Monkeypox vaccine.
    Yes, that would be good advise. Currently, production cannot keep up with demand, though.

Monkeypox can be transmitted sexually, so currently there is a lot of community spread among sexually active gay men. But any skin-to-skin contact can do (supposedly it has to be a bit longer than somebody brushing your arm), so this could spread among children in daycare, in martial arts classes etc.

Ugh.

San Francisco declares state of emergency over monkeypox.
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...y-17336552.php
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Emergency" in this case is a way of getting state and federal funding. And allowing more medical leave for people.

Monkeypox has had no deaths in the US so far and it causes a rash that lasts 2-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-29-2022 at 11:13 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Both Brazil and Spain are reporting the first monkeypox deaths outside of Africa. The supply of vaccines is reported to be too low. It's possible that plants able to produce vaccine are busy producing the Omicron vax.

At the same time, there seems to be a huge spike in covid numbers that is not reflected by the official numbers because tests are not required for participating in daily life anymore, at least here in Germany. Public transport is reduced in many cities, including Frankfurt, because too many drivers are calling in sick. Entire commuter train lines are shutting down for days at a time for the same reason, forcing people to take long detours or work from home instead. Just saw a shop in my neighborhood announce on Instagram that the family running it has covid, and they will be closed at least a week. When I walk through downtown, I see a whole bunch of shops and restaurants that have limited opening hours or apologize for slower service because of too many people calling in sick.
    This will only get worse after the end of the summer vacation, when kids go back to school. I'm not sure how our economy will handle this.

Both Brazil and Spain are reporting the first monkeypox deaths outside of Africa. The supply of vaccines is reported to be too low. It's possible that plants able to produce vaccine are busy producing the Omicron vax.

At the same time, there seems to be a huge spike in covid numbers that is not reflected by the official numbers because tests are not required for participating in daily life anymore, at least here in Germany. Public transport is reduced in many cities, including Frankfurt, because too many drivers are calling in sick. Entire commuter train lines are shutting down for days at a time for the same reason, forcing people to take long detours or work from home instead. Just saw a shop in my neighborhood announce on Instagram that the family running it has covid, and they will be closed at least a week. When I walk through downtown, I see a whole bunch of shops and restaurants that have limited opening hours or apologize for slower service because of too many people calling in sick.
    This will only get worse after the end of the summer vacation, when kids go back to school. I'm not sure how our economy will handle this.
    I'm sorry to hear about these issues in Germany. Over here we're still battling constantly delayed and cancelled flights due to staff shortage and covid numbers are rising as well, making it more hectic. These waves are unpredictable. Los Angeles County was set to reinstate their inner mask mandate last Friday but then numbers came down so they decided to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about these issues in Germany. Over here we're still battling constantly delayed and cancelled flights due to staff shortage and covid numbers are rising as well, making it more hectic. These waves are unpredictable. Los Angeles County was set to reinstate their inner mask mandate last Friday but then numbers came down so they decided to wait.
    I'm predicting the next wave about 5 days after kids get back to school without mask mandates.

These waves are not COMPLETELY unpredictable. Nor are they completely out of our control. But the political will is missing, as is common sense with many people.

I'm predicting the next wave about 5 days after kids get back to school without mask mandates.

These waves are not COMPLETELY unpredictable. Nor are they completely out of our control. But the political will is missing, as is common sense with many people.
    The new thing to look out is the rebound cases after Paxlovid treatment. I'm not sure if that drug is available outside of the US but I wonder if we'll see more rebound cases with other drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The new thing to look out is the rebound cases after Paxlovid treatment. I'm not sure if that drug is available outside of the US but I wonder if we'll see more rebound cases with other drugs.
    That seems to be a non-issue to me. People test positive again, but seem to have little to no symptoms. Unclear yet if they remain very infectious, but it's unlikely because it's very likely to pass on the virus to others in the final days of the infection. I bet they will adapt the way Paxlovid is administered (like add a day or two), but I am really worried more about other things.

That seems to be a non-issue to me. People test positive again, but seem to have little to no symptoms. Unclear yet if they remain very infectious, but it's unlikely because it's very likely to pass on the virus to others in the final days of the infection. I bet they will adapt the way Paxlovid is administered (like add a day or two), but I am really worried more about other things.
    It seems to be becoming more clear that rebound covid is contagious despite the lack of symptoms.

Coronavirus can be contagious during a Paxlovid rebound, researchers warn, even if people don't have symptoms
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/30/healt...ess/index.html

People who have a Covid-19 rebound after treatment with the antiviral drug Paxlovid can be contagious and may not know it because they might not have symptoms, researchers warn.

"People who experience rebound are at risk of transmitting to other people, even though they're outside what people accept as the usual window for being able to transmit," said Dr. Michael Charness of the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Boston.

Charness and his colleagues recently collaborated with a team of researchers at Columbia University to look into cases of Covid-19 that return after Paxlovid treatment. He said they've found at least two instances in which people have transmitted to others when their infection recurs.
    In one case, a 67-year-old man infected a 6-month-old after a half-hour near the child.

The man was 12 days past his first positive Covid-19 test. He had taken a five-day course of Paxlovid and was feeling better. He didn't have any symptoms when he saw the baby, who was his grandson, but about eight hours later, he started to feel ill again.
    The baby tested positive about three days later, as did both of his parents. Neither the baby nor its parents had any other close contacts before they got sick.
    It's good that the CDC has updated their guidance for rebound covid. Whether people will adhere to it is another thing especially if they're not experiencing any symptoms.

The ... interesting thing about monkeypox is that the age profile of the deaths will be somewhat the opposite of covid, as most people over 55 got the smallpox vaccine, and it's the young ones who are unprotected.

NYC Declares State of Emergency Over Monkeypox. Here's What Changes Now
    https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...order/3803490/

California declares a state of emergency over monkeypox outbreak, following New York and Illinois
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/01/cali...-outbreak.html

U.S. officials declare monkeypox a public health emergency
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ency-rcna40504
    The Biden administration on Thursday announced it is declaring monkeypox a public health emergency, a move intended to speed up the distribution of the vaccines and expand testing as the outbreak continues to spread.
    Last edited by JB; 08-04-2022 at 12:47 PM.

This good article reminds us not to forget about Covid.

Three myths about COVID-19 — and the biggest challenge that lies ahead

The risk of cardiovascular disease, for example, increased after one infection, but doubled in people who had two infections, and tripled in those who had been infected thrice.

The numbers translate into 50 extra cases of heart disease per 1,000 people who've had COVID-19 twice.

This good article reminds us not to forget about Covid.

Three myths about COVID-19 — and the biggest challenge that lies ahead
    I know a couple of people who've already had it twice

Outside of obviously getting vaccinated and being careful, it's so widespread here in the UK right now that it seems almost impossible not to get it.