Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

When those brainwashed idiots end up intubated in a hospital bed, isolated, alone, frightened and possibly dying, they'll be wishing they had been vaccinated when they got the chance. What angers me is that those morons will be wasting resources better used by poor unfortunates who got sick through no fault of their own.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    When those brainwashed idiots end up intubated in a hospital bed, isolated, alone, frightened and possibly dying, they'll be wishing they had been vaccinated when they got the chance. What angers me is that those morons will be wasting resources better used by poor unfortunates who got sick through no fault of their own.
    The sadder part is that even then, no, they won't be wishing they would have got the vaccine.

I saw a news report the other day that said up to 70% of black and latino peoples are not vaccinated in large cities. Then they focused on the east coast, Philadelphia I believe (?) and they interviewed 3 young black men. 1 was 25 and still was not sure about the vaccine (he did not mention prior problems with the medical community and his race) just that he did not believe in the vaccine. He said he has not worn a mask at all (and was not at the interview) and will not. He said he has not gotten sick either. The other two men were late 20's - early 30's and while one only wore one mask the other has been wearing 2 masks since day 1. Neither got the vaccine, they do not want the vaccine and both refused to get it. There did not seem to be a political affiliation thing or a confusion or lack of what is going on, they just seemed to not believe in science or the need for it. VERY SAD. Then the commentator said that in Philadelphia as with many other large cities, the numbers have been increasing with those coming down with the virus.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And my cousin was told by the pediatrician to feed her child very small amounts of nut products to build up an immunity and he overcame his allergy. So this isn't a case of "medicine" as one Dr with bad advice.

And the true, verifiable fact is far more people are hurt by not following science than hurt by following it.
    Not to make a big argument of it, but no it wasn’t. It was the standard, supported by science, advice at that time. He wasn’t the only pediatrician saying it. I even mentioned to in my first post that the advice has changed since then. My nephew went there a similar treatment, though his allergy was severe enough that he had to go through OIT (same idea, but starting at extremely small amount and having to be ‘monitored’ afterward.) And OIT still isn’t an FDA approved treatment, despite the fact that a pill that does the exact same thing for peanut allergies, was recently approved. :roll eyes: Look, obviously, I’m not, anti-science or anti-vaccine and neither is my family (we’ve all got the shot.) But it’s also obviously not perfect and can do harm, so not everyone who is ‘cautious’ about are idiot, mouth breathing, trump supporters.
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 08-04-2021 at 10:04 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    The sadder part is that even then, no, they won't be wishing they would have got the vaccine.

I saw a news report the other day that said up to 70% of black and latino peoples are not vaccinated in large cities. Then they focused on the east coast, Philadelphia I believe (?) and they interviewed 3 young black men. 1 was 25 and still was not sure about the vaccine (he did not mention prior problems with the medical community and his race) just that he did not believe in the vaccine. He said he has not worn a mask at all (and was not at the interview) and will not. He said he has not gotten sick either. The other two men were late 20's - early 30's and while one only wore one mask the other has been wearing 2 masks since day 1. Neither got the vaccine, they do not want the vaccine and both refused to get it. There did not seem to be a political affiliation thing or a confusion or lack of what is going on, they just seemed to not believe in science or the need for it. VERY SAD. Then the commentator said that in Philadelphia as with many other large cities, the numbers have been increasing with those coming down with the virus.
    People of color have been distrustful of government and science mostly because of horror stories surrounding the Tuskegee Syphilis Study back in the 1930's through the early 70's. Understandable, but the virus is far more dangerous, as for those young men, they're whistling past the graveyard, even if they don't know it, or perhaps they do but won't admit it. Plain and simple, they're gambling with their lives, COVID is the house, and with well over 600,000 dead in the States, the house NEVER loses.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    People of color have been distrustful of government and science mostly because of horror stories surrounding the Tuskegee Syphilis Study back in the 1930's through the early 70's. Understandable, but the virus is far more dangerous, as for those young men, they're whistling past the graveyard, even if they don't know it, or perhaps they do but won't admit it. Plain and simple, they're gambling with their lives, COVID is the house, and with well over 600,000 dead in the States, the house NEVER loses.
    Yeah, I am well aware of the Tuskegee Syphilis and other government wrongs against minorities. But this was not that. There was just a desire to not get it and to do what they wanted to do. They did hear about all of the information, but in their minds (they said so) they did not agree or feel that it was necessary. These were young men. Everyone thinks it is the older ones that do not want the shot. This proves even many young adults do not want to get it. Exceptionally sad in a city where the virus is taking over again.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yeah, I am well aware of the Tuskegee Syphilis and other government wrongs against minorities. But this was not that. There was just a desire to not get it and to do what they wanted to do. They did hear about all of the information, but in their minds (they said so) they did not agree or feel that it was necessary. These were young men. Everyone thinks it is the older ones that do not want the shot. This proves even many young adults do not want to get it. Exceptionally sad in a city where the virus is taking over again.
    There is a aspect of being young, a mind set among a large number of the more fortunate, that they are invulnerable, invincible, and immortal. Which sounds like an exaggeration, and maybe they might not frame it that way, but often young people act that way. They see their end-of-life so far off that it means little to them. They are told that COVID only affects the old and infir, and they take it to heart. They rarely see anyone they know who is in their age group get sick, and any who do tend not to tell anyone so as not to look weak.

It's a generalization, but it is a proven mind-set. It's why so many young people take risks that the rest of us older folks never would.

And some times it's not even the younger generation

Virginia Covid patient goes from 'invincible' to hospital-bed vaccine advocate

An unvaccinated Virginia man who’s been hospitalized with Covid-19 is using social media to urge others to go out and get the shot.

Travis Campbell, 43, has been in the hospital for more than a week with complications from the virus, which also infected his wife and two of their children.
    Last edited by Tami; 08-04-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Texas State Republican Executive Committee Member Scott Apley has died of COVID-19.

Another anti-vaxxer conspiracy guy who ran afoul of Karma.

United Airlines will require all 67,000 U.S. employees to get vaccinated — or risk termination

United Airlines will require its 67,000 U.S. employees to get vaccinated against Covid by Oct. 25 or risk termination, a first for major U.S. carriers that will likely ramp up pressure on rivals.

Airlines including United have so far resisted vaccine mandates for all workers, instead offering incentives like extra pay or time off to get inoculated. Delta Air Lines in May started requiring newly hired employees to show proof of vaccination. United followed suit in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Texas State Republican Executive Committee Member Scott Apley has died of COVID-19.

Another anti-vaxxer conspiracy guy who ran afoul of Karma.
    His Karma ran completely right over his dogma...WITH A VENGEANCE!!!

Seeing more & more hospitals/newsrooms taking up this get the "Vax or GTFO ultimatums". This is how we win. **** their freedumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There is a aspect of being young, a mind set among a large number of the more fortunate, that they are invulnerable, invincible, and immortal. Which sounds like an exaggeration, and maybe they might not frame it that way, but often young people act that way. They see their end-of-life so far off that it means little to them. They are told that COVID only affects the old and infir, and they take it to heart. They rarely see anyone they know who is in their age group get sick, and any who do tend not to tell anyone so as not to look weak.

It's a generalization, but it is a proven mind-set. It's why so many young people take risks that the rest of us older folks never would.
    Many if not most of the younger folks around here (a fairly conservative County in California) are wearing masks like they should when they aren't vaccinated. What kills me are the people (young or old) who don't have the decency and honor to just do what proprietors ask them to do - wear a mask in the store if they aren't vaccinated. Its a matter of societal decency, a cultural pact to not be an *******, regardless of your beliefs.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Many if not most of the younger folks around here (a fairly conservative County in California) are wearing masks like they should when they aren't vaccinated. What kills me are the people (young or old) who don't have the decency and honor to just do what proprietors ask them to do - wear a mask in the store if they aren't vaccinated. Its a matter of societal decency, a cultural pact to not be an *******, regardless of your beliefs.
    I hear ya, brother!

Here’s what you need to know about the lambda Covid variant

More than 18 months into the Covid-19 pandemic and the world is used to news of new variants of the virus by now, particularly those that have, one by one, supplanted previous versions of the disease.

Some mutations of the virus, like the alpha variant and the delta variant — discovered first in the U.K. and India, respectively — have been more transmissible than previous iterations of the virus and have gone on to dominate globally. Whenever a new variant of the coronavirus emerges, scientists watch it closely.

While the world is still contending with the rapid spread of the delta variant, which has usurped the alpha strain in terms of transmissibility and the potential to cause hospitalizations in unvaccinated people, there is now a new variant that experts are monitoring: The lambda variant.
    The lambda variant, or “C.37” as the lineage has been designated, has been spreading rapidly in South America, particularly in Peru where the earliest documented samples of the virus date from August 2020.

However, it was only flagged up as a “variant of interest” by the World Health Organization on June 14 of this year as cases attributed to the variant had spread noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Not to make a big argument of it, but no it wasn’t. It was the standard, supported by science, advice at that time. He wasn’t the only pediatrician saying it. I even mentioned to in my first post that the advice has changed since then. My nephew went there a similar treatment, though his allergy was severe enough that he had to go through OIT (same idea, but starting at extremely small amount and having to be ‘monitored’ afterward.) And OIT still isn’t an FDA approved treatment, despite the fact that a pill that does the exact same thing for peanut allergies, was recently approved. :roll eyes: Look, obviously, I’m not, anti-science or anti-vaccine and neither is my family (we’ve all got the shot.) But it’s also obviously not perfect and can do harm, so not everyone who is ‘cautious’ about are idiot, mouth breathing, trump supporters.
    Sure, I have an 80 year old aunt who is waiting for "all the science to be in" on the vaccine. Which will probably be around 2025. Meanwhile, if she gets COVID, she will most likely end up in the hospital. But she remains cautious.
    Meanwhile, how many of the 200 million people who have received the vaccine have died?
    https://covid-101.org/science/how-ma...ne-in-the-u-s/

And my final statement still stands.
    And the true, verifiable fact is far more people are hurt by not following science than hurt by following it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sure, I have an 80 year old aunt who is waiting for "all the science to be in" on the vaccine. Which will probably be around 2025. Meanwhile, if she gets COVID, she will most likely end up in the hospital. But she remains cautious.
    Meanwhile, how many of the 200 million people who have received the vaccine have died?
    https://covid-101.org/science/how-ma...ne-in-the-u-s/

And my final statement still stands.
    200 million?

4 billion shots have been administered worldwide. The vaccine is very clearly very safe.