Page 73 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1196
    Spectacular Member

I find myself this week stuck going to another covis-19 related funeral Friday. I'm going to travel way out of my comfort zone and go into the Middle of Wisconsin for my sister-in-laws funeral. She was in NY and had many things wrong. Covid is what sent her to the hospital for the last time. More than half her family are antivax conspiracy believers. Besides my wife I have no one to talk to directly about this. At the beginnings of Covid I lost both my Parents. Not directly from Covid but during the lock down. My mom up here in IL so I know she was watched closely for it and my Dad in Fl where I know they weren't. I think this is covid ptsd they are talking about. All I can right now is make sure we at least are up to date with Covid and Flu Shots. We are upgrading to n95 masks for the trip and I'm stuck in the strange position to explain WHY it's not a good idea to go to the potluck in the church basement afterward.

Considering Delta is still out there, I think it was premature to pull the EUA on monoclonal antibody treatments. Studies show that they worked well against the more dangerous variant.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    I find myself this week stuck going to another covis-19 related funeral Friday. I'm going to travel way out of my comfort zone and go into the Middle of Wisconsin for my sister-in-laws funeral. She was in NY and had many things wrong. Covid is what sent her to the hospital for the last time. More than half her family are antivax conspiracy believers. Besides my wife I have no one to talk to directly about this. At the beginnings of Covid I lost both my Parents. Not directly from Covid but during the lock down. My mom up here in IL so I know she was watched closely for it and my Dad in Fl where I know they weren't. I think this is covid ptsd they are talking about. All I can right now is make sure we at least are up to date with Covid and Flu Shots. We are upgrading to n95 masks for the trip and I'm stuck in the strange position to explain WHY it's not a good idea to go to the potluck in the church basement afterward.
    So sorry to hear this. My condolences to your loss and the tough time you are going through.

Spectacular Member

thanks, I mostly lurk here, but I've gotten lots of good advice reading these boards.

I truly hope the great minds at The Lancet are correct in their prediction. Very interesting article.

COVID-19 will continue but the end of the pandemic is near
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...100-3/fulltext

The world is experiencing a huge wave of infection with the omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2. Estimates based on Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) models1 suggest that on around Jan 17, 2022 there were 125 million omicron infections a day in the world, which is more than ten times the peak of the delta wave in April, 2021.

The impacts of future SARS-CoV-2 transmission on health will be less because of broad previous exposure to the virus, regularly adapted vaccines to new antigens or variants, the advent of antivirals, and the knowledge that the vulnerable can protect themselves during future waves when needed by using high-quality masks and physical distancing. COVID-19 will become another recurrent disease that health systems and societies will have to manage. For example, the death toll from omicron seems to be similar in most countries to the level of a bad influenza season in northern hemisphere countries. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated the worse influenza season during the past decade in 2017–18 caused about 52 000 influenza deaths with a likely peak of more than 1500 deaths per day.11 The era of extraordinary measures by government and societies to control SARS-CoV-2 transmission will be over. After the omicron wave, COVID-19 will return but the pandemic will not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    Condolences and prayers to you and your family.

US Department of Health ENDS requirement for hospitals to report daily COVID deaths to federal government after toll surpasses 900,000: CDC will continue to collect data
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-900-000.html

American hospitals are no longer required to report daily coronavirus death counts to the US Department of Health and Human Services
    The CDC will continue to collect and report COVID data from death certificates.

The policy change, which was announced in January, went into effect last Wednesday, just days ahead of the US death toll surpassing 900,000. The US reported 902,266 COVID deaths Sunday and a 7-day average of 2,704.

Some health officials are calling the reporting policy change 'incomprehensible,' alleging the hospital data is more reliable than that of the CDC.

However, the American Hospital Association claims the CDC's reports are more accurate because it accounts for deaths that occurred outside of hospitals.

'We have to learn how to live with COVID': NJ lifting school mask mandate
    https://abc7ny.com/school-masks-nj-s...cron/11543518/

Governor Phil Murphy announced Monday that he is lifting New Jersey's school mask mandate starting next month.

It comes as case numbers continue to decline in the Tri-State area following the omicron surge.

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont also announced Monday that he is recommending the statewide mask mandate for schools and child care end Feb. 28.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    'We have to learn how to live with COVID'

I hear this a lot and I wish someone would call them out on it every time anyone says it. What do they even mean? We've been living with COVID for two years now. It's not like we're stupid and haven't been trying to learn how to live with the disease. It's not some brilliant epiphany to say "Oh shoot. Now I see it! We have to learn how to live with COVID!" Wow, Sherlock, where have you been the last two years?

Living with COVID means washing your hands, practicing proper hygiene, staying home if you feel sick, not having close contact with people who may be sick, putting money into testing and development of treatments, supporting the health care system with tax dollars, government support programs for those who have lost their jobs and for those in jobs where they are at greatest risk, public education and information in multiple languages, keeping calm, not taking out your frustrations on others, not joining hate groups, not gathering in large numbers where it's unsafe to do so, wearing masks in closed door public areas, being patient with programs to reduce the spread of the disease and understanding that fighting a disease is a long term operation which isn't going to have immediate success, supporting a scientific approach to a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I hear this a lot and I wish someone would call them out on it every time anyone says it. What do they even mean? We've been living with COVID for two years now. It's not like we're stupid and haven't been trying to learn how to live with the disease. It's not some brilliant epiphany to say "Oh shoot. Now I see it! We have to learn how to live with COVID!" Wow, Sherlock, where have you been the last two years?

Living with COVID means washing your hands, practicing proper hygiene, staying home if you feel sick, not having close contact with people who may be sick, putting money into testing and development of treatments, supporting the health care system with tax dollars, government support programs for those who have lost their jobs and for those in jobs where they are at greatest risk, public education and information in multiple languages, keeping calm, not taking out your frustrations on others, not joining hate groups, not gathering in large numbers where it's unsafe to do so, wearing masks in closed door public areas, being patient with programs to reduce the spread of the disease and understanding that fighting a disease is a long term operation which isn't going to have immediate success, supporting a scientific approach to a pandemic.
    Louder for the people in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I definitely hear you and I also never understood why that comment is used so often. We've all obviously been living with covid and I intend to continue to do what's needed to protect myself and my family.

How can it be any clearer?

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How can it be any clearer?

Good charts, thanks for posting.
    I'm glad the CDC is drilling down deeper into what percentage of deaths included multiple co-morbidities (they recently stated around 75% having 4 or more). Unfortunately we're known to have an unhealthy population here in the States, meanwhile Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world. From Dr. Martin Juneau, M.D., FRCP of Canada:

The higher life expectancy of the Japanese is mainly due to fewer deaths from ischemic heart disease, including myocardial infarction, and cancer (especially breast and prostate).
    This exceptional longevity is explained by a low rate of obesity and a unique diet, characterized by a low consumption of red meat and a high consumption of fish and plant foods such as soybeans and tea.
    A push on lifestyle changes, in addition to our current measures to fight the virus, I think would go a long way.

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe brings province’s vaccine passport, mask mandate to an end
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...passport-mask/

Saskatchewan’s vaccine passport system will end at midnight on Sunday night, making the western province the first in Canada to announce an end to the most restrictive public-health measure adopted to contain COVID-19.

Premier Scott Moe said mandatory indoor masking will remain in place until the end of the month. He called on residents to “heal divisions” created over the vaccine passport system, which he said “effectively created two classes” of citizens.
    Alberta ending its vaccine-passport system as of midnight (2/9/22)
    https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-children.html

Alberta’s vaccine passport program ends at midnight on Tuesday, Premier Jason Kenney has announced.

The passport system — formally the Restrictions Exemption Program, requiring people prove they’ve been vaccinated before they can go to restaurants or attend events — is the first of the province’s current public health restrictions to go, in a phased approach Kenney laid out in a news conference on Tuesday.

“Now is the time to begin learning to live with COVID,” said Kenney. “These restrictions have led to terrible division.

“We cannot remain at a heightened state of emergency forever. We have to begin to heal.”
    Last edited by JB; 02-08-2022 at 07:16 PM.

New York and Illinois governors expected to announce end or rollback of certain indoor mask rules, reports say
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/08/us/ne...ent/index.html
    The governors of New York and Illinois are expected to announce the end of -- or a plan to roll back -- certain Covid-19 mitigation requirements involving masks on Wednesday, media reports say.

In New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul will end the state's strict rules for businesses on Wednesday, three people briefed on the decision told The New York Times.

That mandate requires businesses to ask customers for proof of vaccination or for them to wear masks indoors, except when eating or drinking.

In Illinois, Gov. J.B. Pritzker will likely announce Wednesday a path for ending that state's indoor mask mandate in most public places -- though his administration intends to keep mask rules for schools -- CNN affiliate WLS, the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun Times reported.
    Most vaccinated Californians can ditch masks indoors soon as Gavin Newsom lifts omicron rules
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...258142588.html
    Vaccinated Californians can ditch their masks indoors soon, the state’s Department of Public Health announced Monday as it lifts restrictions imposed to slow the spread of the omicron variant. The state’s mask requirement for vaccinated people in most indoor settings will lift on Feb. 16. The requirement, which began in December as COVID-19 cases climbed, won’t be extended again because infection rates are dropping. Unvaccinated people will still be required to wear masks in public indoor settings, as will people living in counties that still have more stringent requirements.

As states lift mask mandates across the country, @PeterHotez
    says the next two weeks will be telling to the “trajectory of Covid-19 in America.”

“The numbers are declining pretty steeply,” Hotez says. And if that continues “it will be safe to lift mask mandates.”
    Dr. Hotez also said that there is a chance that the downturn not continue due to a variant of a variant, in which case teh Summer might not be so sunny this year. In two weeks, as the weather gets warmer, we'll be more certain.

NEW: CDC estimates 3.6% of new coronavirus cases in the U.S. are caused by subvariant BA.2, up from 1.2% last week

Covid map: Coronavirus cases, deaths, vaccinations by country
    Last edited by Tami; 02-09-2022 at 10:29 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.