Page 29 of 80 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Starting today, if I ever find myself in a situation where I'm talking to an anti-masker/anti-vaxxer, I'll just tell them "Do what you want. You do know the risks, right?"

If they have any common sense, they will take that as a warning that they need to know the risks if they don't already. If they do, and they still won't protect themselves and their family, then there is nothing you can do.
    It’s not just themselves and their families, though… They can pass the virus on vulnerable people.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    It’s not just themselves and their families, though… They can pass the virus on vulnerable people.
    People have to take responsibility for their actions and be aware of the risks and consequences of their decisions.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

People have to take responsibility for their actions and be aware of the risks and consequences of their decisions.
    I know this is unrealistic as hell, but if anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers could be sued for making people sick from the virus, that nonsense would end quick!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I know this is unrealistic as hell, but if anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers could be sued for making people sick from the virus, that nonsense would end quick!
    That kind of thing happened during the height/early days of the AIDS epidemic. Legally, it should also apply to intentional spreading of COVID. The only problem is the word 'Intentional'. How can a prosecutor prove that a person knows they are infected, accepts the dangers of COVID, and intentionally spread it versus someone who is in denial, ignorance, or stupidity? AIDS was easier to prove intent.

In the early days, AIDs was considered a death sentence with no cure or treatment. Some people who found out that they had it decided to take down as many people as they could infect. That's why it was easier to prove.

Can you really make an argument that a person refusing to get vaccinated themselves for COVID is doing so with the intent to get sick and to spread it to others?
    Last edited by Tami; 07-06-2021 at 06:31 AM.

Retired

There are situations where people intentionally go at another person and announce their intention to infect them.

If someone spits at you that's assault. I knew someone who worked in a political party office and a guy came in the office and spat at her. He was charged with assault and she had to go into court to testify on the nature of the attack--the amount of spit, from what angle, etc. It was like something out of SEINFELD.

Can you really make an argument that a person refusing to get vaccinated themselves for COVID is doing so with the intent to get sick and to spread it to others?
    The intention to hurt must be difficult to prove (and rather rare, anyway…). But the careless behaviour is easier to demonstrate…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Had my second dose of BioNtech/Pfizer a couple of days ago and had no side effects other than less than a day of a sore arm muscle, starting the morning after the shot.

The intention to hurt must be difficult to prove (and rather rare, anyway…). But the careless behaviour is easier to demonstrate…
    Reckless endangerment comes to mind. But I am not sure it could be applied in this kind of situation.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    Had my second dose of BioNtech/Pfizer a couple of days ago and had no side effects other than less than a day of a sore arm muscle, starting the morning after the shot.
    It's amazing how scared some people are that they may have a strong reaction tot eh vaccine, but are not scared of getting COVID. Like you, many people have little or no serious reaction. Some do, I think Babyblob reported having a strong reaction. Still, that usually passes in a day or two.

Glad that you did well with your second shot. It won't be long before the effects kick in and you can be confident that you'll not be in danger from COVID.

That kind of thing happened during the height/early days of the AIDS epidemic. Legally, it should also apply to intentional spreading of COVID. The only problem is the word 'Intentional'. How can a prosecutor prove that a person knows they are infected, accepts the dangers of COVID, and intentionally spread it versus someone who is in denial, ignorance, or stupidity? AIDS was easier to prove intent.

In the early days, AIDs was considered a death sentence with no cure or treatment. Some people who found out that they had it decided to take down as many people as they could infect. That's why it was easier to prove.

Past that...

Can you make it when absolutely everyone has completely free access to vaccination?

Even if someone did intend on spreading it, there has never been another instance where your ability to protect yourself has been better than it is in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Reckless endangerment comes to mind. But I am not sure it could be applied in this kind of situation.
    After cases of infection in Italian hospitals, the vaccination is now mandatory for health staff in Italy.

The subject is discussed in France.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Even for older people, who have a less efficient immune system?

Even for older people, who have a less efficient immune system?
    It all depends on whether vaccinated people are getting Delta in numbers that suggest they need a booster, or that a booster will improve their immunity.
    Right now it is mainly among the unvaccinated.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Last night there was a masked, older guy at the grocery story in line causing a huge scene screaming at an unmasked guy behind him in line, that the unmasked guy was going to kill him and stay back, stay back.

Is this where we are headed in this vax/anti-vax world we have now? People have drawn the lines pretty firmly.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.