Page 36 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Strategy on boosters in UK is expected to be formally announced soon. Most people are expecting all 50 year olds and older to be offered them...in same order as original vaccination (oldest people vaccinated first).

A couple of mates worked as volunteers in local vaccination centres and both said same thing...take up rate was excellent until it got to young 20s and younger, who regard themselves as relatively safe from Covid. (Incidentally a few of our youngsters have been faking false positives on the tests, to avoid going to school.)

Some of our anti-vaxxers are puzzling...it’s almost as if they regard programs like “Stranger Things” and “X files” as documentaries.

Incredible Member

Mutation , that's one thing that anti vaxxers just don't understand.
    I think that if more people had gotten vaccinated that Delta wouldn't be so dominant right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Mutation , that's one thing that anti vaxxers just don't understand.
    I think that if more people had gotten vaccinated that Delta wouldn't be so dominant right now.
    There are already 4 additional variants after Delta. I believe that none of these are as widespread as the first four, or at least they are not getting as much attention.

The sooner we cut off the Virus' supply of humans ot infect, the sooner we can slow down or stop more variants from forming. Which means that we need as many people as possible to be vaccinated.

I don't know if breakthrough infections can petri dish new variants, but I hope not.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    There are already 4 additional variants after Delta. I believe that none of these are as widespread as the first four, or at least they are not getting as much attention.

The sooner we cut off the Virus' supply of humans ot infect, the sooner we can slow down or stop more variants from forming. Which means that we need as many people as possible to be vaccinated.

I don't know if breakthrough infections can petri dish new variants, but I hope not.
    TRUE.

I saw on the news a man asking that wasn't the Delta first detected in India and when the country was closed to travel. If so, how did it get out to the rest of the world? No one answered him.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    TRUE.

I saw on the news a man asking that wasn't the Delta first detected in India and when the country was closed to travel. If so, how did it get out to the rest of the world? No one answered him.
    Virus' have a way of spreading that defies closed borders and travel restrictions. If there is a way, it will find it, as long as people keep letting themselves get infected (as in not getting vaccinated, not taking precautions, and getting too close to others).

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Virus' have a way of spreading that defies closed borders and travel restrictions. If there is a way, it will find it, as long as people keep letting themselves get infected (as in not getting vaccinated, not taking precautions, and getting too close to others).
    Agreed. The virus will take the path of least resistance and find those who can be easily infected. That’s what anti-vaxxers fail to understand until it’s much too late.

Hey, Tami! Are you in any danger from Tropical Storm Henri?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Agreed. The virus will take the path of least resistance and find those who can be easily infected. That’s what anti-vaxxers fail to understand until it’s much too late.

Hey, Tami! Are you in any danger from Tropical Storm Henri?
    Luckily no, I'm inland enough to get rain but not much wind. The biggest risk if flooding, and I'd be surprised if that happened. I see from the weather reports that you're area is getting hit by rain, but the actual storm is still pretty far offshore from us.

A Texas GOP official’s covid-19 death went viral. Then came calls for vaccination — and bitter divides.

When H. Scott Apley died at 45 of covid-19, he became a face of vaccine refusal by the political right. A GoFundMe drive for his wife and baby son drew scorn as the Dickinson City Council member’s social media posts circulated.

“I wish I lived in the area!” the Houston-area member of the Texas Republican Party’s governing board wrote this spring about a “mask burning” party in Cincinnati. “You are an absolute enemy of a free people,” he once replied on Twitter to a doctor’s post celebrating the effectiveness of Pfizer’s shots against the coronavirus.

In the GOP circles where Apley was well known, however, there was little mention of covid-19 or how to prevent it. Two days after mourning their former vice chairman in a Facebook post that did not say what put him on a ventilator, the Galveston County Republican Party shared a far-right website’s medical-evidence-free claim that immunization against the coronavirus had killed a young conservative activist. “Another tragedy - From the Vaccine!!!!!” they warned.

Apley’s hospitalization and death showcased the bitterness of the country’s divide over coronavirus vaccination, and over how to bridge it, as the pandemic makes personal tragedy inseparable from politics. The Dickinson, Tex., council member’s community offers a stark counterpoint amid a slew of stories about people who urge others to get vaccinated after losing a skeptical loved one to covid-19.
    “They’ve been praying for a baby,” Stoehr said of her brother and his wife, her voice starting to quiver. “They just got one. And then he’s gone!”

Apley’s wife, Melissa, declined to be interviewed or discuss her husband’s decision-making but did not dispute people’s belief that he was unvaccinated. She told The Post in text messages that her husband was only “against the government forcing people to get vaccinated.”

She said he supported her choice to get the shot before he fell sick, something Apley’s friends remembered her telling them and sharing on social media.

Melissa Apley said she also got the virus, as Americans learn to expect some level of “breakthrough” infections. But she recovered. She said she has reunited with her months-old son, who tested negative and does not show symptoms.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Luckily no, I'm inland enough to get rain but not much wind. The biggest risk if flooding, and I'd be surprised if that happened. I see from the weather reports that you're area is getting hit by rain, but the actual storm is still pretty far offshore from us.
    Good to hear. Philadelphia is about 60 miles inland from the coast, but we're looking at rain for a goodly portion of today. There's never any concern about flooding where I live as the closest body of water is a small creek little under a mile away from my street. It's areas in the northeast (Bucks County, Bensalem) that often gets hit hard by storms like this one.

Meanwhile, in vaccine news, I heard that the Pfizer vaccine could be approved tomorrow:

https://news.yahoo.com/fda-hopes-ful...hssrp_catchall
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-22-2021 at 01:09 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good to hear. Philadelphia is about 60 miles inland from the coast, but we're looking at rain for a goodly portion of today. There's never any concern about flooding where I live as the closest body of water is a small creek little under a mile away from my street. It's areas in the northeast (Bucks County, Bensalem) that often gets hit hard by storms like this one.

Meanwhile, in vaccine news, I heard that the Pfizer vaccine could be approved tomorrow:

https://news.yahoo.com/fda-hopes-ful...hssrp_catchall
    Let's hope that pushes more fence-sitters off and get them vaccinated.

Astonishing Member

Jesse Jackson, who received the vaccine in Jan, and his wife are hospitalized for COVID. I can see what the anti vaxxer will say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Jesse Jackson, who received the vaccine in Jan, and his wife are hospitalized for COVID. I can see what the anti vaxxer will say about this.
    He had a preexisting condition that might have made him more vulnerable. People with weak immune systems and major medical condition are always going to be at risk. If he survives, and I hoe he does, that will be a testiment as to how well the vaccine works.

Incredible Member

I really agree with you Tami, I myself had the Pfizer vaccine in April and it would be great if the FDA gives it complete approval. Plus from the start I always thought that the protection would wane over time. So I'm definitely getting a booster when the time comes. But the anti-vaxxers come up with so many conspiracy stories to not get vaccinated. They're the ones holding all of us back. I even have them in my family which is sad. It's amazing that so many people don't understand or don't want to understand the basic Biology & Chemistry that we all learned in High School & some of us in College.

That, and just because a virus was discovered somewhere doesn't mean that it is from there. Especially something that spreads as fast as COVID. By the time we spot it the thing is probably already in a dozen countries or more.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I really agree with you Tami, I myself had the Pfizer vaccine in April and it would be great if the FDA gives it complete approval. Plus from the start I always thought that the protection would wane over time. So I'm definitely getting a booster when the time comes. But the anti-vaxxers come up with so many conspiracy stories to not get vaccinated. They're the ones holding all of us back. I even have them in my family which is sad. It's amazing that so many people don't understand or don't want to understand the basic Biology & Chemistry that we all learned in High School & some of us in College.
    Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine wins full FDA approval, potentially persuading the hesitant to get a shot

Federal regulators Monday granted full approval to the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine — a milestone that could help increase inoculation rates and spark a wave of vaccine mandates by employers and universities amid a surge of new cases and hospitalizations fueled by the ferocious delta variant, according to two individuals with direct knowledge of the decision.

The Food and Drug Administration action marks the first licensing of a vaccine for the coronavirus, which has swept the United States in repeated and punishing waves since early 2020, exhausting nursing staffs, filling intensive care units and raising fears among the vaccinated and the unvaccinated.