Page 48 of 80 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

It looks like we are moving inexorably in UK to making COVID vaccinations compulsory for frontline NHS staff.

To me this issue was always going to be about whether or not voluntary persuasion could get down the number of NHS refuseniks to very small numbers.

Presently there’s apparently about 100,000 NHS staff refusing vaccination. That’s a shameful number and reflects badly on the NHS’s commitment to patient safety.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It looks like we are moving inexorably in UK to making COVID vaccinations compulsory for frontline NHS staff.

To me this issue was always going to be about whether or not voluntary persuasion could get down the number of NHS refuseniks to very small numbers.

Presently there’s apparently about 100,000 NHS staff refusing vaccination. That’s a shameful number and reflects badly on the NHS’s commitment to patient safety.
    We've been hearing consistent buzz that overtime is about to be unleashed now that the Vax-drop dead date has come. Hearing some departments got the green light to hire more workers. This is not the norm.

We definitely live in strange times now.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

How can the public feel good about being treated by health personnel who aren’t vaccinated against a highly transmissible and deadly disease? That doesn’t make a lick of sense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    How can the public feel good about being treated by health personnel who aren’t vaccinated against a highly transmissible and deadly disease? That doesn’t make a lick of sense.
    The public didn't have much of a choice last year but yes, it's a very different time now.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Agreed. We are currently experiencing a third way and covid patients are overtaking the hospitals, so patients with other problems are being only treated for urgent cases in some hospitals already. Imagine that not only are you lucky if you get treated at all, you also have a risk of catching covid from some stupid nurse that didn't get vaccinated. In the hospital. Unbelievable.

It not desirable from a public health point of view. (To put it mildly.)

It’s one of those cases where two reasonable rights conflict (in this case a persons right not to get vaccinated without losing job against a patients right to expect safe treatment)…and society has to make a decision.

I think in this case I agree with decision to make Covid vaccination compulsory for frontline healthcare workers (one factor is the worrying number of patients who actually picked up Covid infection in NHS hospitals themselves.) But…of course..I do realise why a fair number of people would disagree.

Hubby and I are going to get our booster shots!

We got the boost shot and it went off without a hitch.

We originally got Moderna, and our Booster was Moderna. Mostly because we went and got it though out doctor's office (it's part of a medical group so they have access to things not all doctor's offices do).
    Last edited by Tami; 11-11-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It not desirable from a public health point of view. (To put it mildly.)

It’s one of those cases where two reasonable rights conflict (in this case a persons right not to get vaccinated without losing job against a patients right to expect safe treatment)…and society has to make a decision.

I think in this case I agree with decision to make Covid vaccination compulsory for frontline healthcare workers (one factor is the worrying number of patients who actually picked up Covid infection in NHS hospitals themselves.) But…of course..I do realise why a fair number of people would disagree.
    Eh, only one of those is a reasonable right. You need all kinds of vaccinations in order to just go to public schools, more are demanded by most universities and after that there are all kinds of other professions that require shots of various kinds so it's nothing new. There is really no valid reason to not get vaccinated unless you have very specific medical conditions or allergies and that only applies to a very small subset of the population.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

What We Know So Far About Waning Vaccine Effectiveness

An additional 69 million people in the U.S. under the age of 65, more than a quarter of that age group, are also past that six-month mark. Not all are eligible for booster shots, though the federal government may soon decide to extend eligibility for the Pfizer booster to everyone 18 and older.

Other countries, including Israel and Canada, have already authorized booster shots for all adults. Early data from Israel show that booster shots are effective at protecting against infection and hospitalization, at least in the short term.

But experts worry that a national focus on boosters will detract from what should be the country’s most important goal.

“It’s easy with all the discussion about boosters to lose that really important message that the vaccines are still working,” said Dr. Rosenberg. “Going from an unvaccinated to a vaccinated person is still the critical step.”

Extraordinary Member

Is there any word on when regular people who aren't old or with immune problems can get a Moderna booster? And when that is, what's the procedure, can I just walk in to a CVS and ask for the Moderna booster for example, or do I have to make an appointment like I did for my original shot?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Is there any word on when regular people who aren't old or with immune problems can get a Moderna booster? And when that is, what's the procedure, can I just walk in to a CVS and ask for the Moderna booster for example, or do I have to make an appointment like I did for my original shot?
    As of right now it looks like only Pfizer has filed a request with the FDA to broaden emergency use authorization of its boosters in all adults. Moderna will likely do the same soon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    You can't just walk in, but CVS and Walgreens will give you an appt on the internet. Here is a caveat. I am getting the Moderna booster at Wallgreens. They did not have it at every location, so I have to go to the one not far from me that has it (it's not the closest one). CVS also doesn't have the Moderna shot at all locations. But when I tried to make an appt online, and requested Moderna, they gave me an appt. and only when completed the whole process did I see they gave it for Pfizer.

We should all get boosters, but if you are completely vaccinated, you are still in very good shape. I don't think the boosters make you more protected, just extend the protection further out.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-11-2021 at 08:23 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You can't just walk in, but CVS and Walgreens will give you an appt on the internet. Here is a caveat. I am getting the Moderna booster at Wallgreens. They did not have it at every location, so I have to go to the one not far from me that has it (it's not the closest one). CVS also doesn't have the Moderna shot at all locations. But when I tried to make an appt online, and requested Moderna, they gave me an appt. and only when completed the whole process did I see they gave it for Pfizer.

We should all get boosters, but if you are completely vaccinated, you are still in very good shape. I don't think the boosters make you more protected, just extend the protection further out.
    If you are eligible for a Booster, it might be best to go back to wherever it was that you got your first shots.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    If you are eligible for a Booster, it might be best to go back to wherever it was that you got your first shots.
    In my case, that was a special site set up early on, before they had CVS and the others doing that, at least where I am. I don't think it's up as a vaccine site any more, plus, it's pretty far away and through some terrible traffic. So I think I'll try someplace closer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post

Thank you. Sounds fine, then, not too hard at all. And all I really want from one is to extend that protection, so I'm not harboring any false expectations about what it can or can't do.