Page 5 of 80 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That would be rather cool. I can't wait until my turn comes to get a shot to see if I become a member of Homo Superior.
    Spreading that rumor might possibly get more people to get the vaccines.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Both my parents and all my aunts and uncles have had the first dose. Dad has had the second. SO EXCITED to have mine, god, I want life to go back to a semi-form of normality. I miss people. But I'm only 36, so probably won't get my first dose in the UK till May.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    I hope it goes well.

On my end, it looks like my husband does have a bit of vaccine hesitancy. So, yeah, as much as I want him to get his first since he is eligible in NJ and I'm not, yet, I suspect that he will wait until I get mine first. Let me be the guinea pig.

This despite the fact we were invited last year to participate in a vaccine trial and seriously considered doing it. But after some discussion decided against it for reasonable reasons.

NJ has had three months to vaccinate front-line workers, medical professionals, older people, especially those in nursing homes, and others who are at more immediate risk. I think it's time to start opening the eligibility requirements up to more people, though the biggest problem here is the lack of vaccines or poor distribution or them.
    Hmm...wonder where the bottleneck is? Over here, they just opened up to everyone a few days ago, and we’re getting less doses per capital (lotta kids here who can’t get the shot.) you would think having everyone more concentrated would make it easier to get to everyone, but guess not.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

In little over a week, they want to start vaccinations in doctor's offices here in Germany. Currently it's only in those "vaccinations centers" they put up all over the country. 50,000 doctors at first, the 100,000 a couple of weeks later.

That would really speed things up. Currently we're only vaccinating 250,000 to 300,000 people a day. If every doctor only administers 10 a day, it would more than double it. But doctors say they could easily do 50 to 100 people in a day if they have enough vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    In little over a week, they want to start vaccinations in doctor's offices here in Germany. Currently it's only in those "vaccinations centers" they put up all over the country. 50,000 doctors at first, the 100,000 a couple of weeks later.

That would really speed things up. Currently we're only vaccinating 250,000 to 300,000 people a day. If every doctor only administers 10 a day, it would more than double it. But doctors say they could easily do 50 to 100 people in a day if they have enough vaccine.
    My doctor's office, which is part of a medical-group of doctor's offices that share resources and so on, has been cleared right from the beginning of 2021 to give out the Vaccines to their patients and to people in nursing homes. However, according to their website and the weekly newsletters, they still haven't received any Vaccines to give out. They may have had some early on, but right now the state is sending most of the available vaccines to the mega sites.

It's a great idea in theory, but it would only work if the Vaccines are available to them.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

With enough doses available you could do astonishing numbers.

In UK we are using a strange mix of premises...there 89 mass vaccination centres in a real mix of buildings (really anything that has plenty of unused space, which thanks to internet shopping there’s plenty of in town centres), then 1200 smaller local places..which again is a real mix, might be a community pharmacy, hotel, music hall, etc, etc

I know people who have been vaccinated in all sorts of places...a couple of friends who are extremely vulnerable..were vaccinated at home. But strangely don’t know anyone so far that have been vaccinated at doctors office. (Really strange because practically all the winter flu jabs were done there.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    With enough doses available you could do astonishing numbers.

In UK we are using a strange mix of premises...there 89 mass vaccination centres in a real mix of buildings (really anything that has plenty of unused space, which thanks to internet shopping there’s plenty of in town centres), then 1200 smaller local places..which again is a real mix, might be a community pharmacy, hotel, music hall, etc, etc

I know people who have been vaccinated in all sorts of places...a couple of friends who are extremely vulnerable..were vaccinated at home. But strangely don’t know anyone so far that have been vaccinated at doctors office. (Really strange because practically all the winter flu jabs were done there.)
    The flu jabs don't need extreme sub zero temperatures for storage.

Another reason in Germany seems a lack of trust that doctors would stick to the prioritization order.

My state's a mess in regards to vaccination, but we live a half hour from the state line and they are not only open to out m-of-state but are open to all ages over there, so I got first dose appointments for myself and my entire family within the week. Got my first dose of the Moderna a few hours ago!

Got my second Moderna shot earlier today. I ended up sleeping for a good while after it, and my arm is sore again, but no other side effects.

****, more doubts about the AstraZeneca vaccine. They paused it in parts of Canada, and leading German universities are recommending not to give it to women under the age of 55 because the blod clod risk seems to be higher than previously thought.

****, more doubts about the AstraZeneca vaccine. They paused it in parts of Canada, and leading German universities are recommending not to give it to women under the age of 55 because the blod clod risk seems to be higher than previously thought.
    Last I checked WHO (World Health Organisation) made it VERY clear the AstraZeneca was safe; and all the countries that had stopped the use re-instated it, but the damaged was done sadly. And now even more in the EU are refusing to take the vaccine because so many leaders made such a silly ho-ha about it, then (unsuccessfully) tried to back-peddle.

An article on Canada stopping use of the vaccine:
    https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...e-for-under-55
    “There is substantial uncertainty about the benefit of providing AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccines to adults under 55 given the potential risks,” said Dr. Shelley Deeks, vice chair of the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.
    Deeks said the updated recommendations come amid new data from Europe that suggests the risk of blood clots is now potentially as high as one in 100,000, much higher than the one in one million risk believed before.

To put this (stupid) fear-mongering into perspective:
    FACTS ABOUT "THE PILL" aka BIRTH CONTROL
    According to the FDA , the risk for developing a DVT from combined birth control pills is quite low: 3 to 9 out of every 10,000 women per year. This is compared to 1 to 5 women out of every 10,000 per year who aren't on birth control, not pregnant, and who will still develop a DVT

WORST case AstraZeneca is no more a threat to women then birth control! Which millions and millions take every year. You know what far more people get than blood clots... COVID!!! You know who dies more from Covid that blood clots? EVERYONE!!! It's a pandemic, take the damn medicine and shut up!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-30-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

The blood clods from this vaccine are very different and more lethal than the ones from birth control, so it's not a useful comparison. My chancelor is on tv right now explaining the decision, and as you know, she is a scientist. So I would ask you to retract your claim about stupid fear mongering.

The decision in Germany now is to no longer give the AstraZeneca vaccine to people under 60, as all the deaths and almost all the cases of blood cloths were with pre-menopausal women and a few men in that age group. As we have several vaccines available, it seems smart to reduce this risk, as small as it may be, by giving the mRNA vaccine to younger people and giving AstraZeneca's to people over 60.

For those who speak German, here is a compelling twitter thread by Sandra Ciesek, the lead virologist at Frankfurt's Goethe University.

Her points, in brief:

1. it is correct to limit the use of the AZ vaccine to certain groups.
    2. The vaccine is still an effective vaccine and remains an important tool to defeat the pandemic.
    3. It's unclear if women are really more at risk, or if the numbers for women are higher than those for men because in the age group under 60, the vast majority of people who got AZ was nursing staff, which is largely female.

Got my vaccine scheduled for Thursday morning! I'm doing the Jannsen version, done in one. Its weird, my own insurance company was being kind of a pain in the ass about me getting an appointment, so I went for a local hospital clinic where I live. Boom.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Got my vaccine scheduled for Thursday morning! I'm doing the Jannsen version, done in one. Its weird, my own insurance company was being kind of a pain in the ass about me getting an appointment, so I went for a local hospital clinic where I live. Boom.
    Johnson & Johnson?