Page 54 of 80 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I think that Fauci is correct , he's been working at this for so many years.
    It's sad what the anti vaxxers say about him .
    They're just following the lead of The Former Guy with his anti-science mania because, frankly speaking, he's dumb as a box of rocks and is intimidated by overly smart people like Fauci.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Retired

I think we just have to resign ourselves to wearing masks in public, keeping distant from people not in our immediate circle, proper hand washing and meticulous sanitation. We have to stop thinking about a light at the end of the tunnel and getting back to normal. This is the way it is now, accept it.

We beat Polio, though it took a while. There are people alive today who are paralyzed due to Polio, from before the vaccine was readily available. And yet, vaccines and those who promote them are somehow bad guys to many people. At this rate, if anti-vaxxers get their way, Polio is going to end up making a comeback.

We could certainly beat COVID and other diseases that come down the track just like we beat Polio down. I think and hope that cooler heads will prevail. But part of me also feats that the only true way forward is going to be through some super-complicated and tedious method of sanitization, masking and paranoia.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Officials believe omicron will be the dominant covid strain in the UK in the next week or two.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-u-k-officials

An early study of vaccine effectiveness showed that the shots from AstraZeneca Plc and the Pfizer Inc.-BioNTech SE partnership provided much lower defenses against symptomatic infection with omicron, compared with the delta strain, after two doses. A booster lifted protection to 70% to 75% in the early days after the shot.

U.K. health officials expect omicron to become the dominant variant by the middle of December. New evidence shows that the strain is growing much faster than delta in England and Covid cases caused by omicron are expected to make up about half of infections by the middle of the month, they said.
    Omicron is spreading fast but symptoms continue to remain mostly mild according to the CDC and other health authorities.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Pfizer CEO says fourth Covid vaccine doses may be needed sooner than expected due to omicron
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/08/omic...-expected.html

“When we see real-world data, will determine if the omicron is well covered by the third dose and for how long,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla told CNBC.

“And the second point, I think we will need a fourth dose,” Bourla said.

The Pfizer CEO originally expected a fourth dose 12 months after the third, but he told CNBC it might be needed faster than that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    We beat Polio, though it took a while. There are people alive today who are paralyzed due to Polio, from before the vaccine was readily available. And yet, vaccines and those who promote them are somehow bad guys to many people. At this rate, if anti-vaxxers get their way, Polio is going to end up making a comeback.

We could certainly beat COVID and other diseases that come down the track just like we beat Polio down. I think and hope that cooler heads will prevail. But part of me also feats that the only true way forward is going to be through some super-complicated and tedious method of sanitization, masking and paranoia.
    People in developing countries still die/are afflicted from rabies, Rubella, leprosy and the plague because its citizens don't have access to vaccines. I don't get how people can be anti-vaxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

That might not be "Apples..."/"Apples..."

How many known instances were there of folks who had been vaccinated against Polio having a "Breakthrough..." case?

Pfizer Course Has 23% Efficacy Vs. Omicron in South African Study
    https://time.com/6127710/omicron-pfizer/

Bloomberg — A two-shot course of Pfizer Inc.’s vaccine has just 22.5% efficacy against symptomatic infection with the omicron variant, but can thwart severe disease, according to laboratory experiments in South Africa.

Researchers at the Africa Health Research Institute in Durban issued additional data on a small study released earlier this week.

The research considered blood plasma samples from 12 participants. Scientists found omicron resulted in about a 41-fold reduction in levels of neutralizing antibodies produced by people who had received two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech SE shot, compared with the strain detected in China almost two years ago.

This is “essentially compromising the ability of the vaccine to protect against infection,” said the team of scientists led by laboratory head Alex Sigal in a preprint released on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That might not be "Apples..."/"Apples..."

How many known instances were there of folks who had been vaccinated against Polio having a "Breakthrough..." case?
    Except if everyone gets vaccinated, the virus probably won't find enough hosts to keep going. True herd immunity. But damn anti-vaxxers seem to want to keep COVID around.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Except if everyone gets vaccinated, the virus probably won't find enough hosts to keep going. True herd immunity. But damn anti-vaxxers seem to want to keep COVID around.
    That doesn't really change the reality that the current "Vaccines..." are not the same sort of vaccine that wiped Polio out.

Even if a magic wand could be waved, and things were North of eighty percent vaccinated?

It would not change the basic reality that this thing can(from the looks of things...) infect a "Vaccinated..." person without a lot of heavy lifting.

Let's put it this way...

A friend of my brother's works in a long term care facility. Everyone on the "Non-Medical..." staff and medical staff had to get vaccinated as a condition of employment.

Last week?

He tested positive, and is still in pretty rough shape this week. Part of the way through the week, his job called to see how he was doing because they were down ten Covid positive employees since he tested positive.

Barring that there was some manner of media blackout on how things actually went when they wiped out Polio?

This is a little bit different hand of cards.

Over 90% of those infected are unvaccinated. It isn't that easy, and if everyone got the damn shot, we could end this pandemic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Over 90% of those infected are unvaccinated. It isn't that easy, and if everyone got the damn shot, we could end this pandemic.
    That leaves you with a full ten percent wrinkle that you will have to be able to address.

Again...

Barring some sort of a media blackout back in the day?

That hurdle was not there when they were attempting to wipe out Polio.

Astonishing Member

That leaves you with a full ten percent wrinkle that you will have to be able to address.

Again...

The COVID vaxx is still new. It's not like polio was immediately eradicated in the US after the vaccine was introduced. It took about 2 decades.

Again...

What I am saying is that 10% most likely are getting infected by thec90% who aren't Vax. That 10% is small enough to keep the virus from end the pandemic.