Page 65 of 80 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
    Retired

The virus may mutate into a less deadly variant in time; but the deep divisions that have arisen in families and friendships will probably last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The virus may mutate into a less deadly variant in time; but the deep divisions that have arisen in families and friendships will probably last forever.
    And like the Civil War or Women's Rights or Civil Rights or Climate Change, one side is just wrong and the other right. There are no two sides to this debate.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Happy New Year 2022 everyone! Let us hope, pray and love for a better year!
    Agreed. Happy New Year!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

U.S. Defense Secretary Austin tests positive for Covid-19, mild symptoms
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/03/us-d...-symptoms.html

U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Sunday said he had tested positive for Covid-19 and had mild symptoms, but would retain all authorities as he quarantined at home for the next five days.

In a statement, Austin said he requested a test earlier on Sunday after having symptoms while at home on vacation.

The irony of course is the anti vaccers are the reason we have to go into lockdown (At least up here in Canada)

We have to wear masks and lock down to protect the medical system from being overwhelmed and financially overstreched, because all the unvaccinated end up on ventilators (Cancer patients are being turned away because of them)

But if everyone got vaccinated we wouldn't have to worry about overburdening the medical system....the lock down and masks could end.

Do vaccines protect against long COVID? What the data say

Now, Mount Sinai Hospital’s Abilities Research Center in New York City, one of three clinics that Putrino directs, treats another 50–100 people each week who are coping with issues such as extreme fatigue, breathlessness, difficulty concentrating or any of the many other symptoms of long COVID — the long-lasting, poorly understood syndrome that can occur after infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. He has 1,600 clients with long COVID, and more on a waiting list.

Putrino has noticed that even being fully vaccinated doesn’t necessarily protect against long COVID. Many of his clients were infected before vaccines were rolled out, and had been coping with symptoms for a year or more before they were referred to him. But he has seen about a dozen people who experienced long COVID from ‘breakthrough’ infections — in which vaccinated people catch the coronavirus. “It is noticeably less common than in unvaccinated people, but it’s still there,” he says. He thinks that clinics could see more such cases as the months tick by.

Vaccines reduce the risk of long COVID by lowering the chances of contracting COVID-19 in the first place. But for those who do experience a breakthrough infection, studies suggest that vaccination might only halve the risk of long COVID — or have no effect on it at all1,2. Understanding the prevalence of long COVID among vaccinated people has urgent public-health implications as restrictions that limited viral spread are eased in some countries. It could also offer clues about what causes lingering COVID-19 symptoms long after the acute infection has cleared.
    The cause of long COVID — also known as the post-acute sequelae of a SARS-CoV-2 infection — is as unclear as its definition. One possibility is that a reservoir of the coronavirus lingers after the acute infection, lurking in various tissues — such as the intestine, liver or brain — and continues to cause damage. Another possibility is that the broad immune response triggered by the initial infection can generate antibodies and other immunological reactions against the body’s own tissues. That could continue to cause complications after the infection has been cleared.

Vaccination could reduce the likelihood of these scenarios. If a vaccine induces high levels of antibodies and T cells capable of recognizing SARS-CoV-2, the immune system could stop the virus during its first few replications before it can establish hidden reservoirs in the body, says Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.

And vaccination allows the body to launch a more-targeted immune response from the moment a coronavirus infiltrates the body, reducing the chance that nonspecific immune reactions will target normal tissue. “The immune system is already sort of pointed in the right direction,” says Brodin. “You’re calling in these very specific cells to attack this specific virus.”
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Thanks for posting. I've been very curious about "long COVID" and I wonder if omicron could lead to it as well, since it's been a milder strain thus far.

Our latest #LongCovid pre-print shows a 50-80% reduction in 7/10 most commonly reported symptoms 4-11 months following #sarscov2 infection in vaccinated adults vs those not- just in case you needed another reason to get the #vaccine https://medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/....05.22268800v1 @Dr2NisreenAlwan
    Twitter Link

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

FDA Shortens Interval for Booster Dose of Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to Five Months
    https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...ne-five-months

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration amended the emergency use authorization (EUA) for the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine to shorten the time between the completion of a primary series of the vaccine and a booster dose to at least five months for individuals 18 years of age and older.
    Speaking of Moderna, after our German friend shared with us recently that cloth masks had been considered insufficient in Germany one year ahead of us, I decided to look into more of their findings and notices. Back in November, Germany's STIKO stopped recommending the Moderna vaccine for people 30 years old and under due to increased risk of heart inflammation. Upon further exploring, I found that France has the same recommendation.

COVID: Germany recommends only BioNTech-Pfizer shot to under 30s
    https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-...30s/a-59773550
    Germany's Standing Committee on Vaccination (STIKO) on Wednesday said that only the BioNTech-Pfizer coronavirus vaccine should be given to people under the age of 30.

The decision came after studies showed a lower number of heart inflammations in younger people than with the Moderna vaccine. However, people over the age of 30 have no increased risks of heart troubles after vaccination with Moderna, STIKO said.
    French Health Authority Advises Against Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine for Under 30s
    https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news...-for-under-30s

France's public health authority has recommended people under 30 be given Pfizer's Comirnaty COVID-19 vaccine when available instead of Moderna Inc's Spikevax jab, which carried comparatively higher risks of heart-related problems.

The Haute Autorite de Sante (HAS), which does not have legal power to ban or licence drugs but acts as an advisor to the French health sector, cited "very rare" risks linked to Myocarditis, a heart disease, that had shown up in recent data on the Moderna vaccine and in a French study published on Monday.
    If this turns out to be true, hopefully we're not one year behind on this as well.

Brother lives less than 5 miles away. Haven't physically seen him in over a year. He's also a mouth breathing, Trump-humper that delights in instigating battles to trigger people.

Messaged him for both Holidays & exchanged Birthday greetings. This works for me.

Retired

My friend in Austria, who is one of those anti-vaxxers who was protesting and won't listen to me (her friend) yet will listen to complete strangers on whatsapp, now has the virus and everyone in her household has it, too. I would like to say I told you so, but I don't think that would be helpful.

Also I found out one of my sisters hasn't got the vaccine. She has a medical condition and is dependent on her partner, who is anti-vax and won't let her get it.

Incredible Member

My friend in Austria, who is one of those anti-vaxxers who was protesting and won't listen to me (her friend) yet will listen to complete strangers on whatsapp, now has the virus and everyone in her household has it, too. I would like to say I told you so, but I don't think that would be helpful.

Also I found out one of my sisters hasn't got the vaccine. She has a medical condition and is dependent on her partner, who is anti-vax and won't let her get it.

After seeing this post I had to reply. I am fully vaccinated and scheduled for a booster with Pfizer. My sister and husband are anti-vaxxers and have had Covid along with their 17 year old son. My Brother in-law needed Monoclonal Antibodies , but won't get the vaccine. My sister has now had Covid a 2nd time and still no vaccine. Their son also had it, but being 17 and healthy he got over it in a week. Have to say that this has been hard during the Holiday's . And it's going to continue until one day the virus finally ends , if it ever does.

The AMA is disagreeing with the CDC guildlines of five day quarantine with no test requirements.

Astonishing Member

I wonder if those divisions are due to their stance on vaccines or their stance on politics.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I wonder if those divisions are due to their stance on vaccines or their stance on politics.
    I think one of those may have been the straw that breaks the camel's back, as the saying goes.

One of my cousins had to tell his father that either politics is off limits while he is there, or they will no longer have a relationship going forward. Although that was over Jan 6 rather than vaccines. My family has too many nurses in it for that particular lie to take deep hold.
    Dark does not mean deep.