BANNED

Default Spiderman Tom Holland's question. Media and Fans commentary.

So I have been seeing some stories on twitter and other entertainment and geeks site about MCU Spiderman 3, the hype is real. It's regarding the title of the next spiderman movie. It feels as if the ..guess the tile of the movie has got everyone talking and should have all of us completely excited. I am just a bit confused, why is the reaction from with the media and spiderman fanbases quite different and very inconsistent when it comes to Holland Spiderman movies.

A lot of long term spiderman fans including myself (though I am not extra traditional on Spiderman mythos and do welcome change when it feels natural) , I have called out some of the jarring problems of holland's spiderman. the problem that his world is too intertwined with Iron Man, of high school spiderman is too drawn out or how the holland's spiderman movies does not have it's own uniqueness compared to the Sam Raimi films, or Holland has yet to stand on his two feet playing the character and there is now a high chance the next movie won't give me that much space to do that, a topic that has been discussed here from other fans when we heard Jamie Fox as Electro is returning. I feel as if I don't hear much of this genuine criticism in the media, that many spiderman fans have raised.

Why does it feel as if the media is sweeping all the issues about Holland's spiderman under the rug. The Hype for Holland's Spiderman 3 has reached mega insane levels,I think Holland does a good job hyping the movie in a way I have never seen any actor do about a franchise they are are playing lead. I say this from what I saw yesterday on twitter, you cannot escape it news about this movie, from the rumours that Tobey will be returning or Tom Holland saying the movie will be like nothing we have ever seen. I hope Holland is not setting the bar too high?

I am missing something here? is there something about Tom Holland that I am not seeing that the media loves him in the role so much? My money is still on Into the Spiderverse 2 been a more fulfilling Spiderman film than MCU Spiderman 3 but I cannot get the support system anywhere except from other spiderman fans on forums that is a high probability.

I just feel as if when it comes to the newer spiderman films, there are two world it feels as if we are living in. one where many fans like myself get frustrated a bit and another world sold by twitter where we are been told, Holland's Spiderman movies are the greatest live action spiderman ever and the next film will be this groundbreaking movie we have never seen before or will ever see again?

How do we as fans try to reconcile both worlds or merge both worlds?
    Last edited by Castle; 02-24-2021 at 08:27 AM.

By not trying to honestly? People like what they like and for some reason that’s becoming a problem. Many here don’t care or like Holland and that’s fine you don’t have to like him. People act like he is the last live action variation of the character when he too will be replace in the future. If fans cant even have peace in the comics why should the moves be any different? It could be the greatest movie of all time or not at this point we are just doing the same conversations every time another movie of his is coming up.
    Last edited by Jman27; 02-24-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    By not trying to honestly? People like what they like and for some reason that’s becoming a problem. Many here don’t care or like Holland and that’s fine you don’t have to like him..
    Agreed.

Anyway I hope Holland's next movie does live up to the hype him and the media are setting up for themselves. I was nearly buying into it because I see how excited the twitter folks are about this movie. I can't even say it is because Tobey and Andrew are returning since some don't even know who Tobey was except from a few pop culture and movie deference and the media made it cool to hate amazing spiderman movies

However as I did a rethink about the 7 past movies. I hate to break it to Holland, the bar may be just too high. he may want to slow the hype down.
    Last edited by Castle; 02-24-2021 at 08:51 AM.

I mean it’s his job. Kinda like Mj would hype her works even though we have no idea on how successful it is
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It's regarding the title of the next spiderman movie. It feels as if the ..guess the tile of the movie has got everyone talking and should have all of us completely excited. I am just a bit confused, why is the reaction from with the media and spiderman fanbases quite different and very inconsistent when it comes to Holland Spiderman movies.
    You need to separate Tom Holland the actor who also moonlights as Tom Holland the Instagram Influencer (because that's what young actors need to be these days to create publicity and maintain their brand), with the MCU Spider-Man on the whole.

People who look at the MCU Spider-Man as movies, or as adaptations of the comics, and so on and so forth, will have different reactions than the segment of the population on Instagram and Twitter who nowadays see the movies as an extension of the online back-and-forth with the Instagram persona.

I feel as if I don't hear much of this genuine criticism in the media, that many spiderman fans have raised.
    Google Spider-Man iron man problem and you will find quite a few hits.

We don't have to. Look, the MCU has a large fandom, the grand vast majority of them don't care at all about Spider-Man comics, or Spider-Man anything, or Marvel anything. To them Spider-Man is just some piece of merchandise and toy. The MCU's publicity engine built excitement about Spider-Man joining the Marvel universe and the Avengers and others teaming up with him and so on. Literally any actor in that suit would have gotten the same hype, maybe not all of them would have Tom Holland's skill in interacting and engaging his fans on social media and so continuing and building that hype, but it would have happened to anyone.

Tom Holland is the Spider-Man actor who really tapped into social media and that allows him to build a warm relationship with them (Andrew Garfield in his own way tried to build this in his time) and that's quite different from when Tobey Maguire was Spider-Man and he had to deal with traditional media like papparazzi and others.

The days when one can be off-the-cuff like Tobey Maguire to papparazzi is over.

Tobey going Peter Parker New Yorker on the pooperazzi! Nice.

The next Spider-Man movie is going to be great because its Disney. They've pretty much made a company on meeting and exceeding expectations. Its all about following the metrics and appealing to a broad audience. And they are experts. This movie will be fine.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

I am missing something here? is there something about Tom Holland that I am not seeing that the media loves him in the role so much? My money is still on Into the Spiderverse 2 been a more fulfilling Spiderman film than MCU Spiderman 3 but I cannot get the support system anywhere except from other spiderman fans on forums that is a high probability.

I just feel as if when it comes to the newer spiderman films, there are two world it feels as if we are living in. one where many fans like myself get frustrated a bit and another world sold by twitter where we are been told, Holland's Spiderman movies are the greatest live action spiderman ever and the next film will be this groundbreaking movie we have never seen before or will ever see again?

I'll ask my 18 year old niece she likes him . I don't think you're missing anything here, the films seem to be aimed at kids. My nephew who will be 9 in a few weeks was infatuated with SM. But I think that's cooled down and he's on to other characters.

I have only watched his SM in the Avengers films, I haven't seen any of his stand alone films. Much of it has to do with the fact I wasn't exactly wowed by Andrew Garfield's turn in the role. And as an older fan and comic book reader. Peter Parker/Spider-man will and forever will be the 20 something mature and very responsible (married) man. Not some dude bro or high school nerd. Just not interested in that type of character.

Since that is the character in the book--which I am not reading, I don't feel that I am missing out on not seeing the films.

Spectacular Member

Because Spider Man the comic has less than 100.000 readers, and part of them don’t like this incarnation mostly for reasons tied to be comic readers; probably the millions of viewers of the movies don’t share this opinion and it is easy to see how millions of voices would obscure a few thousands.

Don't think there's any need to "reconcile" anything; some people like the new movies, others don't. That's always the way these things work.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

I'm not a massive fan of Holland's Spider-man, but it's mostly my problems with the film and my Nostalgia for Tobey.
    He actually does a great balance between Peter and Spider-man, something which the previous incarnations didn't get sadly.
    Tobey's portrayal was more aligned with the Stan Lee era, which may not translate too well with People.
    Andrew got Spider-man right, but his Peter came across as too cool.
    I like Holland's goofyness, it certainly takes more from Ultimate Spider-Man and later incarnations.
    I do agree that he is too integrated with Tony Stark, bit that's not a problem with him in particular, but a problem with the writers and direction.