Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

To everyone saying "well, these three couldn't be stealthy because the city AI would know; there's only one entrance, there's an elevator" - Hickman could have made any of this differently, he's the writer.

There is just a mismatch between how this story was set up a year ago and how it turned out. And also between our feverish speculation and & expectations for that story and also this first part of what was ultimately delivered. This whole thread seems like people rationalizing and filling this disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    To everyone saying "well, these three couldn't be stealthy because the city AI would know; there's only one entrance, there's an elevator" - Hickman could have made any of this differently, he's the writer.

There is just a mismatch between how this story was set up a year ago and how it turned out. And also between our feverish speculation and & expectations for that story and also this first part of what was ultimately delivered. This whole thread seems like people rationalizing and filling this disconnect.
    I think that a mutant capable of cloaking or even some tech that would let them enter without the city detecting. I really doubt there is only one way in/out

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    It was a murder mission, there was zero stealth from the x-men

So if they aren't human it is ok murder them?

really ignorant coming from X-men that now thinks tey aren't human
    I definitely agree that we should have seen more attempts at stealth before we got to the action, but this issue already barely fit in what it did have.

One thing I didn't take into consideration until now is that if these three die in the Vault nobody from the outside will know and thus they won't get resurrected. Keeping this in mind I'd probably be less diplomatic than I normally am too.

Maybe Criticalfan is right though and I'm just rationalizing because we waited on this story for so long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Writing in caps doesn't make it true, man. Just makes it sound like you're shouting at my face, which I don't like in principle.

They aren't baseline humans. The Vault has been evolving them or their predecessors so much that they are basically not the same thing as a regular human. They're not like Captain America who's enhanced, they're even referred to as post human. And even if you don't buy that, it's still a fact that getting too stuck on the law is what will bring Nimrod to the world. Xavier and Magneto already saw that and it was even brought up in HoX #6 that exceptions would eventually appear. If anything is the issue, it would be, indeed, that we didn't get to see the character's reaction to the idea, but not every story can address everything, sadly.
    And you're avoiding the actual point of my post, which doesn't make what YOU'RE saying true. And I don't like people going off on unrelated tangents and putting words in my mouth.

This isn't about "law." This isn't about "But Nimrod!" This is about CHARACTER. And there is no universe where it's in character for Laura to stand there and be told, "These aren't people they're weapons, so feel free to kill them" and not object to it ON PRINCIPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Synch340 View Post
    I forgot what issue but Synch did copy Spiderman's powers and another character I believe. I do hope that he learns to keep what he's copied though.
    Editors were asleep, Everett has always been able to "sync" to any super human ability, period! Still gonna pick this up, been waiting too long for what should be the alpha of all mutants to be interacting on the same team!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I definitely agree that we should have seen more attempts at stealth before we got to the action, but this issue already barely fit in what it did have.

One thing I didn't take into consideration until now is that if these three die in the Vault nobody from the outside will know and thus they won't get resurrected. Keeping this in mind I'd probably be less diplomatic than I normally am too.

Maybe Criticalfan is right though and I'm just rationalizing because we waited on this story for so long.
    I don't really disagree with Critical Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Thank Claremont it's a two-parter. The Hickman issues seem to be over as soon as they've started.
    Yeah, this went by super-quick. Is this supposed to be resolved next issue or will we be in the Vault for several issues?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I was kind of bummed that Hickman didnt give the CoTV their latin flair in dialogue like Mike Carey did in his run.
    Yeah, I missed that too. But it seems to be a thing with Hickman, he doesn't do the phonetic accent thing with any character it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I love Hickman's take on the Children and the City.
    Synch is the star we all deserve and I love his glow up. I need more.
    Amazing moments for all of them even if the issue felt brief. FORCE protocols intensify, let's goooo!
    Yeah, it was great to see a focus on Synch and I'm pretty hyped for what comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    The plan to be covert went out the window when they were ambushed by the Children, they had no way of knowing they were walking into a self aware city that would immediately detect their presence. I trust that Laura is smart enough to know when reaching out to her opponents is useful and when it's a waste of time.
    This. 100% But what’re ya gonna do? Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Synch really stole the show here. I really enjoyed his narration. And I get the sense this upgrade he got is permanent. I hope he finds his way into other X-books in the future.
    Yeah, I hope he gets a larger role in the X-books after this. It certainly looks like it might happen. Why else would you go to the trouble of focusing on him and amping up his powers if not?

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Just because it isn’t exactly as you envision it should happen doesn’t make it bad. This Laura is heaps and bounds ahead of the boring, suburban single mom we saw in Taylor’s ANW or the stabby mcstabber we saw in Disassembled.
    This is a case of the writer striking exactly the right balance with Laura as Wolverine.
    I feel the same, Laura has been treated worse in the past. Also, we're just getting back to this tale, there will likely be more for her to do in the remainder of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zvrk View Post
    I have to praise Asrar here. Not many artists can make Bachalo couture work, but he did it seamlessly and 'realistically' without losing the magic of it. Bravo! Bravo!
    Yes! I was thinking the same thing, Asrar knocked it outta the park!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The Vault's gonna keep churning them out and our dream 3-team supreme will have to fight them for 500+ years condensed in the next issue let's gooooo!
    That would be metal and I'm here for it!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think what Hickman may be alluding to is that no matter what the future will always give way to a AI style "City" similar to how no matter what AI will run amok and kill mutants.
    Yeah, there does seem to be a theme of technocratic destiny in Hickman's works. If this business with Synch and friends tearing up the CotV is part of the pathway to the mutants vs. human/machine alliance shown in HoX/PoX then sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    They are both using "intelligent design" in trying to leap frog to the future.
    Yes, this! Well said!

Weird how this issue showed the first 15 minutes of this team in the Vault, and next issue will have to show 536.9975 years of them in the Vault.
    Lol, right? That is why I'm wondering if there will be more than just one issue to complete this story.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Yeah, but it seems people are expecting Laura to just pack up and run from an enemy whose full capabilities she straight up doesn't know during a attack. The point of the mission it to gather information on the CotV's threat level and capabilities. They didn't know WHEN they'd be ambushed, so that's the point of the Synch-Darwin combo, have to prepare a reaction to the worst outcomes. Fuego straight up goes for the kill, so they have to neutralize their enemies quickly, and that's what Laura and Synch do. Shame that they died, but the CotV are only interested in wiping out everything that is not them. The FORCE protocol being used is just because they aren't indeed humans, and considering the situation Laura was, and the fact that the "no killing humans" principle will bring Nimrod into the world, what she did was mostly right in context.
    Absolutely! That is a great description of how this all went down in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    An interesting twist would be if studying and adapting to the trio's powers is what allows the City to upgrade its Children to a far more advanced stage.
    I think you’re onto something!

There is just a mismatch between... our feverish speculation and & expectations for that story and also this first part of what was ultimately delivered. This whole thread seems like people rationalizing and filling this disconnect.
    I think this is a fair criticism.

In regard to folks who are upset about how Laura was presented here, IMHO it might be best to jump off if this isn't what you're looking for. You're never gonna get 100% perfect characterization. Characters change hands too much for that to be realistically possible. At some point down the line the presentation of the character will re-align with what you're looking for under another writer and that might be a good time to dip your feet in again. Other folks seem upset that our heroes immediately responded with violence but when I read the book it seemed to me like they really didn't have a choice.

Anyway, I liked the issue and I'm keen to see what comes next.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm interested to see if the attraction between Laura and Everett developed during their long stay in the vault and they emerge from the Vault as a couple, next issue.
    I initially had an issue with how subtle Synch's power signature was depicted but...in retrospect it makes sense if his power is "on" continuously, that it wouldn't be as bold.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ravyn View Post
    This stealth team isn't particularly stealthy. I thought they were going to infiltrate this society and gather intel. Instead they just walked in the front door and murdered everybody.
    Because they are some of the worst XMen.

So this begs the Question are the COV, working in conjunction with the Nimrods? Just trying to get a better understanding on this.

Quote Originally Posted by IN-a-Synch View Post
    So this begs the Question are the COV, working in conjunction with the Nimrods? Just trying to get a better understanding on this.
    I don't think they're working with each other. Though it wouldn't surprise me if the CotV are an element on the road that leads to the future Nimrod stuff seen in HoX/PoX.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-25-2021 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

No, there isn't evidence of this. ORCHIS is building a Nimrod
    CoTV have their own system.
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-25-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I think they're working on their own and presented as a separate threat...for now.
    It would be interesting if in the end game...CptV, Orchis, Reavers, Xeno...the various factions of Homo Novisima/Human Modification...do band together for achieve their common goal.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Synch has duplicated Spider-Man's(human mutate)powers in his first life, but there was a caveat in that they were both mutated by Plantman's pollen at the time. He also synched with Gen13's Roxy once in their second crossover, but such stories are rarely considered canon. It's cool Hickman revisited this aspect of his ability, even if he's acting like this is a brand new thing.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 02-25-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

My buddy said this was short; he wasn't joking.
    8/10 tho.

They're not.

When the City scanned Serafina it said the threat level from the natural occurring humans had increased and they would expect resistance from them.
    "Cable was right!"