Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Mutants [16]: Review and Spoilers

Vita and Reis do it again. This book has been consistently good and its only been 3 issues. Vita is really good at balancing out the characters and giving each one something to do. There are so many characters she is juggling and it makes you appreciate what she is doing in her introductory arc. I will say I wish/hope Hellion, Surge, Mercury and Wind Dancer show up in this title. I fella can dream

There are 3-4 different things going on in this issue:

Magik dealing with the bullies.

Dani and Karma going off to find the lost kid in Otherworld.

Rhane founding out more about her child Tier.

Shadow King and the little posse of students.

They all are good in their own ways.

THIS IS HOW YOU JUGGLE A CAST.

I'll start with the easiest. Magik confronts the kids that bullied the younger ones. They think they can take her on because there are more of them but Illyana puts them in their place real quick. And we see them later in the issue fixing the krakoahood they destoryed in the previous issue.

The students from the preview rush to the older students and tell them about the missing student. Dani decides she will handle it and Karma asks to join. Dani is concerned for her because she's been having issues. Karma states that she is good to accompany and help her. We get some good interaction with Jamie Braddock and off they go on an adventure. Unfortunately, it is cut short because they step into Merlin's lands and he quickly imprisons them.

The heartbreaking one is Rhane confronting Eye Boy and Prodigy about her son Tier. They tell her that her son is still being backed up so he's not actually dead. They think it may have something to do with him being half god half mutant. Rhane is heartbroken that he may be out there alone. It looks like she has a panic attack and she runs off to find Dani but Dani is in Otherworld.

The younger students Anole, Rain Boy, Ernst, and Scout run off to see how Cosmar is doing. She isn't great. She is feeling that Dani rejected her. Shadow King comes from the shadows and tells her that they all need to feel being in others bodies to understand or something like that. Im paraphrasing sorry. The gist of it is that Cosmar is moody and Anole tries to comfort her but she aint having it. Shadow King does a synergy move with their permission and switches each one of their conciousnesses to the others body. They are having a curious time being in another body BUT there is a side effect. There bodies start to wither decay and Shadow King puts them back. Scout realizes that they could have been killed and is the only one that speaks any sense in the group. She bounces because she is having none of that. Shadow King just brushes her off and continues to manipulate the other kids. As others have said I believe he might be after Cosmar.

I know this is very high level ish. I didn't go into all the details but it was a really enjoyable issue. Vita does great at juggling characters and giving a good pace to the story. Rod Reis on art will always be a treat for me.

The ONLY thing that bothers me is ANOLE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

That's all. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.
    Last edited by CGAR; 02-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.