Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New Mutants [16]: Review and Spoilers

Vita and Reis do it again. This book has been consistently good and its only been 3 issues. Vita is really good at balancing out the characters and giving each one something to do. There are so many characters she is juggling and it makes you appreciate what she is doing in her introductory arc. I will say I wish/hope Hellion, Surge, Mercury and Wind Dancer show up in this title. I fella can dream

There are 3-4 different things going on in this issue:

Magik dealing with the bullies.

Dani and Karma going off to find the lost kid in Otherworld.

Rhane founding out more about her child Tier.

Shadow King and the little posse of students.

They all are good in their own ways.

THIS IS HOW YOU JUGGLE A CAST.

I'll start with the easiest. Magik confronts the kids that bullied the younger ones. They think they can take her on because there are more of them but Illyana puts them in their place real quick. And we see them later in the issue fixing the krakoahood they destoryed in the previous issue.

The students from the preview rush to the older students and tell them about the missing student. Dani decides she will handle it and Karma asks to join. Dani is concerned for her because she's been having issues. Karma states that she is good to accompany and help her. We get some good interaction with Jamie Braddock and off they go on an adventure. Unfortunately, it is cut short because they step into Merlin's lands and he quickly imprisons them.

The heartbreaking one is Rhane confronting Eye Boy and Prodigy about her son Tier. They tell her that her son is still being backed up so he's not actually dead. They think it may have something to do with him being half god half mutant. Rhane is heartbroken that he may be out there alone. It looks like she has a panic attack and she runs off to find Dani but Dani is in Otherworld.

The younger students Anole, Rain Boy, Ernst, and Scout run off to see how Cosmar is doing. She isn't great. She is feeling that Dani rejected her. Shadow King comes from the shadows and tells her that they all need to feel being in others bodies to understand or something like that. Im paraphrasing sorry. The gist of it is that Cosmar is moody and Anole tries to comfort her but she aint having it. Shadow King does a synergy move with their permission and switches each one of their conciousnesses to the others body. They are having a curious time being in another body BUT there is a side effect. There bodies start to wither decay and Shadow King puts them back. Scout realizes that they could have been killed and is the only one that speaks any sense in the group. She bounces because she is having none of that. Shadow King just brushes her off and continues to manipulate the other kids. As others have said I believe he might be after Cosmar.

I know this is very high level ish. I didn't go into all the details but it was a really enjoyable issue. Vita does great at juggling characters and giving a good pace to the story. Rod Reis on art will always be a treat for me.

The ONLY thing that bothers me is ANOLE SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

That's all. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did.
    Last edited by CGAR; 02-24-2021 at 09:29 AM.

This feels dense as hell with all the sub-plots going on. They all feel significant though, in their own way - like even Rahne's story seems to be heading somewhere now.

Massive flex from Shadow King this issue, and it seems to actually be him and not just Farouk (w/o Shadow King).

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I was wondering, did any of the Age of X characters got names by now? In prisoner of X, none of them )(of this and previous issue) were named. Did not buy this issue yet, just curious....
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

No specific names yet. That I can recall.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Vita continues to pack a lot of story and characterization in each issue, it's an impressive amount of depth and I love their writing. Reis' art is amazing as usual, strong Sienkiewicz vibes, especially in those Otherworld pages.

This is the best X-book right now - all three issues have been nothing but perfect. Vita & Reis are really the dream team

I love everything about this book. The numbers of plots going on make each issue feel dense and alive. Seeing Dani and Shan spend time together was such a nice treat. Vita has each person's voice down.

Extraordinary Member

I was thinking the same thing. This book is really dense. It feels like an old-school book with how many subplots are being juggled around. That I think is where this run is really an improvement over the Brisson run, where it took 3 issues to tell a 1-issue story about Cosmar.

There's some real emotion with Cosmar and Rahne and the Magik and Dani/Karma scenes are fun. The Shadow King scene actually seems like an extension of the synergy training they've been doing, as being in your teammate's body can help you gain an understanding of their powers. I'm pretty sure this is the first time Gabby has been with the Shadow King's group, and now it looks like the last time. I feel like something is off with them that they are so enthused about something that made their bodies decompose.

Are the teens in this issue all new characters? I don't remember them from anywhere else, though my knowledge of all the junior teams is relatively limited. If the bullies had any experience at the mansion or with the X-Men then they should have known to be very, very afraid of Magik.

The whole thing with Josh the horn-boy surprises me. I didn't expect them to introduce an entirely new character to have a subplot three issues in. If he was scared, why didn't he run away like the other 2 and why did he ask Jaimie for stuff so he could go around Otherworld buying and selling merchandise. This is the weakest part of the issue to me. Because I don't know him from Adam and haven't any idea what his motivation is, I have no reason to care about him. If it was Fauna running away from the bullies, or Cosmar or Gabbay running away because they feel the others don't care about their plights I'd be more invested. But riding a raptor is not enough to endear Josh to me.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I was wondering, did any of the Age of X characters got names by now? In prisoner of X, none of them )(of this and previous issue) were named. Did not buy this issue yet, just curious....
    This issue named Josh (the horned boy), Liana (the curvy black girl), and Monica (the girl with the bob cut). Vita named the four other Prisoner X mutants on their twitter, but I don't recall their names just that they are all either trans or non-binary.

Extraordinary Member

Karma brings up Tran during the horseback-riding scene. So she does remember him?

I'm not sure if Vita's thinking this way but a possibly interesting way to explain and give an nuance to Anole's seeming naivety could be that he selectively deleted parts of his memory/trauma that might warn him away from guys like SK. I'm not sure he died anytime recently but I'm sure some of the New X-Men kids might have wanted to not keep those memories despite it defining their generation. The memory deletion was one of the things that caught my eye during the resurrections protocols and so far we haven't seen a ton of evidence of people doing that but I would expect it to pop up in plots sometime. Then again, I wouldn't taken Anole as the type to do that but /shrugs

Anyway as others have said, good issue. I'm not completely sold on how Vita views them as whole, as the not quite X-Men, but Vita does seem to have their voices down and is capable of giving most characters time to shine. I did miss Warpath in this issue, though his data page was somewhat interesting; my X-Force knowledge is sketchy but I wasn't aware that he doesn't seem to view Xavier in a warm light like most X-Men. then again, considering what happened to his brother...

Also appreciated all the cameos from other books, like Rictor and Jaime from Excalibur and Prodigy and Eye-Boy from X-Factor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I'm not sure if Vita's thinking this way but a possibly interesting way to explain and give an nuance to Anole's seeming naivety could be that he selectively deleted parts of his memory/trauma that might warn him away from guys like SK. I'm not sure he died anytime recently but I'm sure some of the New X-Men kids might have wanted to not keep those memories despite it defining their generation. The memory deletion was one of the things that caught my eye during the resurrections protocols and so far we haven't seen a ton of evidence of people doing that but I would expect it to pop up in plots sometime. Then again, I wouldn't taken Anole as the type to do that but /shrugs

Anyway as others have said, good issue. I'm not completely sold on how Vita views them as whole, as the not quite X-Men, but Vita does seem to have their voices down and is capable of giving most characters time to shine. I did miss Warpath in this issue, though his data page was somewhat interesting; my X-Force knowledge is sketchy but I wasn't aware that he doesn't seem to view Xavier in a warm light like most X-Men. then again, considering what happened to his brother...

Also appreciated all the cameos from other books, like Rictor and Jaime from Excalibur and Prodigy and Eye-Boy from X-Factor.
    Yeah that was always part of Warpath’s character and why he joined Emma Frost’s Hellions and later X-Force.

But he made up with Xavier when they along with Aex, Lorna, Darwin, Kurt, and Rachel went into space.

Incredible Member

Did anyone else notice that Anole in Cosmar body hot boy ended up looking like Legion when Anole/Cosmar grabbed their head? Foreshadowing maybe?

The art was exceptional here. Reis being back has done this book wonders

Mighty Member

This book always feels like it's 2 or 3 times longer than it actually is.

And that's a good thing.

Also Vita's done more with Otherworld in one issue than Tini has in the entire Excalibur run.