Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Naw, they were able to combat and defeat a powerful aspect of a primordial dark God Shuman Gorath he was being loosed on the earth by the guy in Thanos crew! That was All Adam and Monica working off his plan.
    oh thats pretty interesting. the concepts of gods, what can and cannot hurt them, in marvel seems to be all over the place. I recall an older story where Monica seemingly hurts Zeus with an attack but a few panels later he was unscathed.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    that wasn't Coates fault. that was Marvel's. the dye was already cast back when it was supposed to be released in 2020.

I dont think gods can be affected by physical based attacks. only divine energy would be able to hurt them.

however I guess we will see. they may just spectators to the fight.
    Than why is Stom always napping? And Thor gets beat up all the time.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Shuri possesses the wisdom of all the wakandan ancestors. hot-headed and immature she can be yes but this wasn't some random character trying to invade her personal space. this was a friend and fellow warrior who was distraught from the chaos that was plaguing Wakanda. add to it a few panels later shuri was doing the exact same thing okoye but you get upset when it happens to you? it was an odd moment considering their history.
    Again, chain of command and authority take precedence in times of war. It's not about friendship. Okoye wasn't even offended by Shuri doing that and recognised she was wrong. There's no need to make this a thing when it isn't.

it ultimately was because of T'Challa the victory occurred per your interpretation but fans will still be mad. :/
    Per my hypothetical, T'Challa admits a fault of his, tells his people to do something so that another person can actually do what needs to be done in saving the day. That makes him a passive character, because he indirectly caused the victory. Just doing something or being credited for a thing is not enough: a character is best when they're active and not passive.

In King in Black: Black Panther, T'Challa was an active character. He formulated the plans, he assigned others secondary tasks and he was the one that ultimately was the one that detonated the energy wave that saved Wakanda. Did Okoye, Shuri and the countless Wakandan soldiers and citizens help? Yes, but he made the plan and struck the final blow. That's not just how to write him but how to write an active character. He isn't taking part in a plan: He is the plan.

In most of Coates' stories (at least the ones I've read), T'Challa is a passive character. It's usually other people that do the talking that saves the day or do the punching that saves the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Again, chain of command and authority take precedence in times of war. It's not about friendship. Okoye wasn't even offended by Shuri doing that and recognised she was wrong. There's no need to make this a thing when it isn't.

Per my hypothetical, T'Challa admits a fault of his, tells his people to do something so that another person can actually do what needs to be done in saving the day. That makes him a passive character, because he indirectly caused the victory. Just doing something or being credited for a thing is not enough: a character is best when they're active and not passive.

In King in Black: Black Panther, T'Challa was an active character. He formulated the plans, he assigned others secondary tasks and he was the one that ultimately was the one that detonated the energy wave that saved Wakanda. Did Okoye, Shuri and the countless Wakandan soldiers and citizens help? Yes, but he made the plan and struck the final blow. That's not just how to write him but how to write an active character. He isn't taking part in a plan: He is the plan.

In most of Coates' stories (at least the ones I've read), T'Challa is a passive character. It's usually other people that do the talking that saves the day or do the punching that saves the day.
    1. Chain of command had absolutely nothing to do with her abrasive recoil when Okoye touched her. It was like she was reacting to a leper or something. For me as a reader considering ALL the different battles they've had and never seeing such a exchange it was jarring for me as a reader.

2. No, telling another person to execute a certain task, knowing when to fight and when to delegate is what makes him GOOD a leader. He doesn't always have to get his hands dirty when he has other players who can get the job done. Delegation of duties is a very common thing among royal figures and rarely do you see them unnecessarily engaging in battle. That said, T'Challa hasn't been simply delegating. Did you read issue 22 of this run??

King in Black he was a very active character yes and that is good he struck the final blow no matter how convenient and nicely it wrapped up. That said, he's not going to always be able to do that but having allies and knowing when he can use them helps in ensuring victory.

Again to your last pint did you read 22? And countless other issues where tchalla is actively fighting to save the day? I dont believe your assessment of Coates is a fair one.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-25-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Than why is Stom always napping? And Thor gets beat up all the time.
    thor and ororo though they have divine abilities still have vulnerabilities akin to mortals. the same is not true for characters like bast and adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Again, chain of command and authority take precedence in times of war. It's not about friendship. Okoye wasn't even offended by Shuri doing that and recognised she was wrong...
    Yep.

... Just doing something or being credited for a thing is not enough: a character is best when they're active and not passive.
    Yep.

In King in Black: Black Panther, T'Challa was an active character. He formulated the plans, he assigned others secondary tasks and he was the one that ultimately was the one that detonated the energy wave that saved Wakanda. Did Okoye, Shuri and the countless Wakandan soldiers and citizens help? Yes, but he made the plan and struck the final blow.
    Yep.

That's not just how to write him but how to write an active character. He isn't taking part in a plan: He is the plan.
    The title of the book is THE BLACK PANTHER.

Not, WAKANDANS DOING STUFF or STORM & HER FRIENDS AND WORSHIPPERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Yep.

Yep.

Yep.

The title of the book is THE BLACK PANTHER.

Not, WAKANDANS DOING STUFF or STORM & HER FRIENDS AND WORSHIPPERS.
    nor is Tanehesi Coates' Black Panther book or this issue which is what this review thread is about; however, you wouldn't be aware of any of this as you stopped reading coates' bp after the rape camps from season one right?

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Coates Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Coates Excellence
    indeed my friend!!!

nor is Tanehesi Coates' Black Panther book or this issue which is what this review thread is about; however, you wouldn't be aware of any of this as you stopped reading coates' bp after the rape camps from season one right?
    that's correct.

but the statements about how to write heroic fiction were all true.

that's correct.

but the statements about how to write heroic fiction were all true.
    so where do you get the impression readers of black panther would expect its story to be about " storm and her friends and worshippers?" you certainly didn't write that as such in KiB so what inspired such a statement?

also I'm sure that is not the only way to effectively write heroic fiction.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 02-25-2021 at 04:12 PM.

so where do you get the impression readers of black panther would expect its story to be about " storm and her friends and worshippers?" you certainly didn't write that as such in KiB so what inspired such a statement?

also I'm sure there is not the only way to effectively write heroic fiction.
    from the many, MANY, comments, pro and con, about the last five years of the book.

sure, there are a lot of ways to write heroic fiction. but, when you center a given character - Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Thor– the story is about the title charter and not the secondaries.

the black panther isn't a team book. the avengers, x-men and ff are team books.

from the many, MANY, comments, pro and con, about the last five years of the book.

sure, there are a lot of ways to write heroic fiction. but, when you center a given character - Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Thor– the story is about the title charter and not the secondaries.

the black panther isn't a team book. the avengers, x-men and ff are team books.
    interesting. you had mentioned to me that to judge a book, specifically KiB: Black Panther, I need to be honest in how I characterized what occurred in the book. if you are going off of comments, which by the way are inaccurate, and then making a characterization about an entire run you've expressed you yourself have not read do you think that would be fair? do you think one could then claim your statements are untrue as you did mine when I provided my assessment on kib: BP which I actually read?

when does a title deviate from being about the title character and then about the secondary? how is this relevant to this review? are you claiming that this issue was about the secondary, ancillary characters and not the title character?

no one said it was a team book though.

interesting. you had mentioned to me that to judge a book, specifically KiB: Black Panther, I need to be honest in how I characterized what occurred in the book. if you are going off of comments, which by the way are inaccurate, and then making a characterization about an entire run you've expressed you yourself have not read do you think that would be fair? do you think one could then claim your statements are untrue as you did mine when I provided my assessment on kib: BP which I actually read?

when does a title deviate from being about the title character and then about the secondary? how is this relevant to this review? are you claiming that this issue was about the secondary, ancillary characters and not the title character?
    I'm making no claims beyond what i actually write. I don't do passive aggressive or subtext. I'm always very plain when I make points.

I know comments are often inaccurate, which is why I look at ALL the comments, not just the ones I like.

For instance: Shuri does not, as you said, "recoil abrasively" from being touched. She calmly stands there and tells Okoye to remove her hand. They are not equals and Okoye has no business touching her without permission. Your description is not accurate.

I was speaking about the post I quoted. When i'm speaking in general terms I make a new post without any quoted text.

KiB:BP > BP #23.

No doubt.