Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I am am over reading what feels like the therapy sessions of kanye west dressed up as Black Panther.

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Rape is not something specific to African people. The unfortunate truth is this is part of humanity. Tchalla fought his own fight in issue 22 when he was challenged by his ancestors. It was Tchalla who earned and fought for the respect of all the past BP that allowed for the intergalatic Wakandan memories to be saved. How then are you concluding he isn't fighting his own battle?

I dont want to deviate too much from this issue but KiB was all types of forced. Having Shuri and Okoye being so impersonal and showing deference to him almost as if they were his servants wasnt something that was depicted in a favorable manner imo. Also, I've seen tchalla fans on twitter praise the issue.

Storm didnt do much of anything in this issue so im not sure why you conclude she is shining. Tchalla is driving force in this story.
    I’m glad Coates run is over, if only to no longer have to read the people go **** crazy because they didn’t like his run.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    It’s humiliating because from day one, Coates couldn’t accept the concept of an African nation being Black excellence incarnate so he goes in rewriting Wakanda being rife with black dysfunction
    The problem is that (outside of the MCU) Wakanda has never been "Black excellence incarnate". Go back through the various past BLACK PANTHER runs by McGregor, Priest, etc, and you will see that Wakanda has always had its issues and dysfunction. The cities of Wakanda are absolutely the black utopia with a society and technology and standard of living that the rest of the world envies. But outside the cities, in more rural parts of Wakanda we have been shown and told of tribal infighting and wars, xenophobic attitudes, fears of modern technology, sexist attitudes, etc.

Wakanda is trying to become that utopian society, particularly under T'Challa's leadership--but its not there yet, and that is not a situation that was introduced by Coates. That has been the reality of Wakanda for decades of Marvel stories.

There are things about Coates' run that I have enjoyed a lot. There are things about it that I have not. I dropped the book with the current volume and the intergalactic empire stuff. I absolutely agree that there are some things in his run that have been flawed or could have been handled better. But I also think that sometimes people get so worked up about bashing the Coates run that they distort or forget some of the facts involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    The problem is that (outside of the MCU) Wakanda has never been "Black excellence incarnate". Go back through the various past BLACK PANTHER runs by McGregor, Priest, etc, and you will see that Wakanda has always had its issues and dysfunction. The cities of Wakanda are absolutely the black utopia with a society and technology and standard of living that the rest of the world envies. But outside the cities, in more rural parts of Wakanda we have been shown and told of tribal infighting and wars, xenophobic attitudes, fears of modern technology, sexist attitudes, etc.

Wakanda is trying to become that utopian society, particularly under T'Challa's leadership--but its not there yet, and that is not a situation that was introduced by Coates. That has been the reality of Wakanda for decades of Marvel stories.

There are things about Coates' run that I have enjoyed a lot. There are things about it that I have not. I dropped the book with the current volume and the intergalactic empire stuff. I absolutely agree that there are some things in his run that have been flawed or could have been handled better. But I also think that sometimes people get so worked up about bashing the Coates run that they distort or forget some of the facts involved.
    When Hudlin started it was introduced as a Utopian society.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    When Hudlin started it was introduced as a Utopian society.
    And Marvel continuity both before and after him has contradicted that. Its not the only thing that Hudlin did that was inaccurate with established continuity.

And Marvel continuity both before and after him has contradicted that. Its not the only thing that Hudlin did that was inaccurate with established continuity.
    In an interview Priest said Marvel was changing the continuity to match Hudlin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    In an interview Priest said Marvel was changing the continuity to match Hudlin.
    He seems to have been mistaken or misinformed, since Marvel is publishing the Coates run which still shows that Wakanda isn't 100% perfect. But that's okay. Just because the entire country isn't 100% perfect doesn't eliminate the ideal that Wakanda has achieved in some areas, and that they continue to strive for.

He seems to have been mistaken or misinformed, since Marvel is publishing the Coates run which still shows that Wakanda isn't 100% perfect. But that's okay. Just because the entire country isn't 100% perfect doesn't eliminate the ideal that Wakanda has achieved in some areas, and that they continue to strive for.
    Pretty sure the interview took place before the Coates run started.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

How can you possibly think it's odd of "forced" for Okoye and Shuri to bow to T'Challa when he is their king? It's not like he demanded that they bow to him in that very moment to assert dominance. They did it out of respect because he is their king and they are his subjects. Sure, T'Challa doesn't treat them cruelly because of that as they are his sister and friend respectively but in a matter of national security and war it's about the chain of command and not about playing nice or appearing friendly. Such a weird thing to complain about.

Also, this issue was just plain boring. More talking and telling, and less doing and showing. This needs to be wrapped up ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m glad Coates run is over, if only to no longer have to read the people go **** crazy because they didn’t like his run.
    I have to second this I am not going to say I liked Coates run but the fans here are so posioned against him that he could have been the one wrote the KIB solo that Redjack did and they would have hated it.

On the bright the next writer has super low bar and just about anything they do will be meet with praise for awhile

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Black Panther 23 Review

The issue starts where we left off in issue 22. The galactic Wakandan memories are restored based to the ancestors' sacrifice and it results in chaos among N'Jadaka forces. N'Jadaka destroys the ships of his own army as some of the Wakandan who memories are restored begin to fight back. He is in a seemingly weakened state due to not being able to control the symbiote and has an internal dialogue with the symbiote essence. With the gate to wakandan prime disabled the Symbiote essence states they will strike the Wakandan empire with the strength of Gods.

The story shifts back to Wakanda Prime where Tchalla gives a riveting speech ahead of the invasion they are expecting from N'Jadaka and his forces. He honors Nakia's sacrifice and ask if she made the ultimate sacrifice what will they do. It then cuts to Zenzi and Bast having a conversation where Zenzi expresses that N'Jadaka is growing weak due to not being able to properly host the symbiote but Bast reassures her the orisha are never alone.

Back in Wakanda prime, the Orisha have ominously assembled after T'Challa speech. Shuri believes this to be a sign they are there to support in their fight against the galatic wakandans but Ororo cautions that their silence is not an indication of their favor. It is here that she finally accepts her godhead and states she is a part of the Wakandan Pantheon. Jericho agrees with Storm to be cautious of the Orisha presence.

The story the transitions to another location in Wakanda where Ramonda and one of he Mages go to the portal that was closed that locked away the original wakandans. The originators are insulted by her presence and Ramonda essential states she cannot undo the past but can offer them another land in the skies as a form of reparation if they agree to help fight against the common threat that will soon invade wakanda.

The story then shifts back to Ororo and Tchalla. Though Ororo tries to reassure him, he is unsettled by the Orishas presence and believes the wakandans are being setup. Bast appears and she with the help of the Orisha open a portal that allow Njadaka forces to invade Wakanda. The issue ends with the heroes flying towards the portal for the final battle.

There also is a marvel voices story but I will not discuss this here as it was a separate story.

This issue was primarily setup for the last arc of Coates' run but I thought both the story and art were beautiful. Coates ability to take real-world issues (such as reparations) and connecting it in a meaningful way into his story is masterfully done. Wherever you may fall on the topic it causes the reader at least to think about these polarizing topics, which is very much purposeful. Also, seeing these black heroes assembled to help tchalla against this common threat was a nice visual seeing we are in Black history month. This issue is a reminder of the strength of tchalla as leader. The interactions felt very much so organic and not robotic. It was refreshing to see. His ability to inspire and to also have enough foresight to see when he is being duped lets us know Coates' are keen on his assets beyond fist and claws. I'm very excited for the next few issues it should be pretty epic.
    So TNC has just villified the real native African Gods as villains then makes Storm a Wakandan god.

Talking about epic insult to Africans ancestral Gods.

What an epic steampile of cosmic sh*t.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    How can you possibly think it's odd of "forced" for Okoye and Shuri to bow to T'Challa when he is their king? It's not like he demanded that they bow to him in that very moment to assert dominance. They did it out of respect because he is their king and they are his subjects. Sure, T'Challa doesn't treat them cruelly because of that as they are his sister and friend respectively but in a matter of national security and war it's about the chain of command and not about playing nice or appearing friendly. Such a weird thing to complain about.

Also, this issue was just plain boring. More talking and telling, and less doing and showing. This needs to be wrapped up ASAP.
    Agreed!!!!

Mighty Member

Rubbish is rubbish.... Facts are facts!!!

I find it hypocritical that people have an issue with the complaints that others have about a writer/story but have no problem vociferously voicing their own complaints when they don't like something.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I find it hypocritical that people have an issue with the complaints that others have about a writer/story but have no problem vociferously voicing their own complaints when they don't like something.
    I expect this from the usual suspects lol. I also think it's objectively false that people don't give Coates his credit when he actually does something worth a damn. There have been a handful of individual issues that people on this forum have praised.

Black Panther fans have the right to express their displeasure with a writer who's been ruining their favorite character for 5 years and plummeting in sales. No one's complaining when the majority of Avengers fans online are shitting all over Aaron's run. People still dunk on Fallen Angels to this day. But Black Panther fans are somehow uniquely aggressive with their criticisms. Okay. This doesn't need to be a conversation.