Page 63 of 136 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, admittedly I have a harder time buying him as Nathan Drake than I do Spider-Man .

Although I think that's also just cinema where you put young up-and-comers with established names.
    Tom isn't much of a up-and-comer anymore when he played Spider-Man for five films. And I think Jack's Timothee Chalamet analogy is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Tom isn't much of a up-and-comer anymore when he played Spider-Man for five films. And I think Jack's Timothee Chalamet analogy is spot on.
    Yeah, but Spider-Man has pretty much been the most significant role of his career. I can think of, maybe, 2-3 other prominent stuff he's been in other than MCU movies.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, but Spider-Man has pretty much been the most significant role of his career. I can think of, maybe, 2-3 other prominent stuff he's been in other than MCU movies.
    I'm just saying, it seems to be a pattern. Maybe Holland can carry a film, if he can we just haven't seen it. It's also possible he can grow into becoming more of a lead actor. As of now he just doesn't seem to be one.

It won't be a problem in NWH with Tobey and Andrew there, but it begs the question of what you do (or don't do) with him after.

BANNED

It does seem like Holland can't carry a film by himself. We keep casting him in roles where he is playing off someone like a character actor.
    That's basically how it's been, lol. Holland is a talented character actor and he's strong in movies like The Lost City of Z where he basically appears in the movie's last third (and acts in his natural British accent) but I don't buy he can be a leading man. Not on the stuff that's happened up to now. I mean it's not unusual, Daniel Radcliffe is also someone who can't be a leading man but was basically drafted to be a franchise lead but Radcliffe's learnt his limitations and now is basically living on his wealth and acting as a hobby and he always does odd roles here and there.

Uncharted is no exception.
    Maybe the actual movie will be different but I doubt it. But when you have Wahlberg and Antonio Banderas in the cast, there's not too much for Holland to do other than be the bumbling inexperienced guy around such experienced actors and that's what the trailers emphasize.

Same. Also I think Maguire and Garfield deserve it. Neither actor got to leave the character on a high note (Garfield especially).
    Well at least Maguire did have high notes before he crashed down. Garfield has done better in his Non-Spider-Man movies like Silence, Hacksaw Ridge, and the weird and bizarre Under the Silver Lake. At the very least, in the TASM movies, Garfield definitely worked as a believable leading man the way Holland didn't. With the MCU, they had a concept and they cast and wrote according to that concept, and the result is they cast too well. They cast Holland based on his chemistry with RDJ as a mentor figure, and they never thought how it would work once RDJ would leave the building.

Although I think that's also just cinema where you put young up-and-comers with established names.
    Well you do that ideally in theater or TV or so on. On a feature film if you aspire to be a lead, you hope that you have an interiority and screen presence that draws the camera to you, and make whatever you do interesting. And likewise you get in the ring with established names so that you can prove yourself against them. The really ambitious and capable young actors, like Leonardo DiCaprio, can have scenes with Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson, and not get blown away by the legend across the frame.

Like in the Raimi movies, there are a lot of scenes where Tobey is by himself or in a close-up and the screen automatically gets under the character's skin. And Maguire doesn't get overwhelmed by Dafoe the way Holland gets undone by Keaton in Homecoming. Chalamet likewise holds his own against Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson, and Charlotte Rampling in DUNE playing this complex role of a guy who seems like a classic hero on the outside but is secretly (unconsciously) a fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well you do that ideally in theater or TV or so on. On a feature film if you aspire to be a lead, you hope that you have an interiority and screen presence that draws the camera to you, and make whatever you do interesting. And likewise you get in the ring with established names so that you can prove yourself against them. The really ambitious and capable young actors, like Leonardo DiCaprio, can have scenes with Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks, Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson, and not get blown away by the legend across the frame.

Like in the Raimi movies, there are a lot of scenes where Tobey is by himself or in a close-up and the screen automatically gets under the character's skin. And Maguire doesn't get overwhelmed by Dafoe the way Holland gets undone by Keaton in Homecoming. Chalamet likewise holds his own against Oscar Isaac, Jason Momoa, Rebecca Ferguson, and Charlotte Rampling in DUNE playing this complex role of a guy who seems like a classic hero on the outside but is secretly (unconsciously) a fascist.
    I think general audiences come off with Holland being able to hold his own, it's playing to a character that infantiles Peter to a certain extent. But that's on the writing.

More leaks on the Internet.

spoilers:
    Holland Peter is shot with some green grease by probably Mysterio's fan, wears Strange's cape and jumps through unfinished Electro's CGI lightning.
    end of spoilers

Trailer #2 should arrive soon, just like it was with trailer #1.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    More leaks on the Internet.

spoilers:
    Holland Peter is shot with some green grease by probably Mysterio's fan, wears Strange's cape and jumps through unfinished Electro's CGI lightning.
    end of spoilers

Trailer #2 should arrive soon, just like it was with trailer #1.
    Goblin uses green gas.

Ultimate Member

I'm just saying, it seems to be a pattern. Maybe Holland can carry a film, if he can we just haven't seen it. It's also possible he can grow into becoming more of a lead actor. As of now he just doesn't seem to be one.

It won't be a problem in NWH with Tobey and Andrew there, but it begs the question of what you do (or don't do) with him after.
    Agreed 100%.

Tom Holland has fallen into the "Hollywood list'.

Basically at every point on time in Hollywood there's a list of hot actors that are cast in EVERYTHING even when they don't fit. Sometimes it works, sometimes, it doesn't.

IMHO, Holland has been miscast in almost every single movie where he's played the lead. He doesn't seem able to really carry a movie yet...it doesn't help that he hardly ever acts with his natural accent.

Astonishing Member

Sorry, I haven't seen Holland in anything else, so I can't comment on that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed 100%.

Tom Holland has fallen into the "Hollywood list'.

Basically at every point on time in Hollywood there's a list of hot actors that are cast in EVERYTHING even when they don't fit. Sometimes it works, sometimes, it doesn't.

IMHO, Holland has been miscast in almost every single movie where he's played the lead. He doesn't seem able to really carry a movie yet...it doesn't help that he hardly ever acts with his natural accent.
    I don't know if Holland has fallen into the "Hollywood list".

Surveying his filmography, his most notable non-Spider-Man stuff is VO work for Disney, and then a movie for the Russos that came and went. Uncharted will be his big test as to whether he can work as a leading-man since that's a Video-Game IP which historically has always had problems going over. And it's also a new introduced-for-cinema IP, whereas with Spider-Man in the MCU all the scaffolding work came readymade. So Holland will have the job of getting Nathan Drake over to an audience that hasn't played the Uncharted games or doesn't own a PS4 (he doesn't have to worry about PS5 owners until the supply chain issues are fixed, lol). That's a big demographic but not as big compared to moviegoers.

The only name director Holland has collaborated with is James Gray when he appeared in The Lost City of Z (in a small role where he's good, and the final scene there echoes and anticipates Avengers Endgame).

Zendaya on the other hand, she's in the "Hollywood list". She's had prominent roles in hyper-successful movies outside the MCU like The Greatest Showman and DUNE and turned heads for Malcolm and Marie.

Sorry, I haven't seen Holland in anything else, so I can't comment on that.
    Holland is doing the RDJ route and not doing appearances outside Spider-Man or franchise movies for the time being (look up and see how many non-MCU movies RDJ did since IM-1, you can count it on your fingers, lol). He hasn't appeared in many significant films yet, and mostly it's been character turns in movies headlined by Robert Pattinson or Charlie Hunnam, with the exception of the Russos who made him appear as lead in Cherry which didn't do well.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-29-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Tomorrow is Halloween, the Night of ghosts and GOBLINS. I don't see a better time for the second trailer if it's going to show the Green Goblin.

Astonishing Member

Still think it will be released with either Eternals or Ghostbusters. I don't see it being released any later than Ghosbusters.

History of MCU Spider-Man's costumes:

BANNED

History of MCU Spider-Man toys, lol.

History of MCU Spider-Man's costumes:

All I see are potential costumes for Spider-Man 2
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy