Page 88 of 136 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2039
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    That and he might feel some guilt over Mysterio's death. Even though it wasn't exactly his fault, I could see why that guilt causes him to be wary about basically banishing a couple villains to certain death
    Most of the previous villains’ deaths were not their respective Spidey’s fault either. It’s a CBM trope that the villain has to die at the end, but the hero can’t be responsible so the villain needs to screw up and accidentally kill themselves in their zeal to kill the hero (the somewhat less common alternate path is they have a moment of clarity and redeem themselves by sacrificing their life to undo their villainy). I think the apex of this ridiculous have-cake-and-eat-it-too approach to killing off bad guys, but keeping the good guys’ hands clean was Batman’s ridiculous justification to Ras Al Ghul when he left him to die on the runaway train in ‘Batman Begins.’

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I pointed out those things in another thread, but it's more fitting to be here:

So yeah, likely the Tobey and Andrew are in this, unless Lizard got hit by an invisible brick or somethin' .
    Not saying it disproves another Spidey, but you noticed that by the end of the trailer Peter and Ock are teaming up right? That would explain their looking in different directions. Plus, Dr Strange could be helping in the fight (after the trailer showing them at odds).

Honestly, I'm cool whether it's previous Spideys or not.

Strangely, the trailer has neither made me more or less excited. I'm kinda liking the nostalgia fest but doing a whole multiversal thing with 'live action' Spidey leaves me a little flat. Especially when he still has a bunch of great villains that haven't been adapted yet (to the point that Sony are doing solos).
    Last edited by exile001; 11-17-2021 at 09:50 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Most of the previous villains’ deaths were not their respective Spidey’s fault either. It’s a CBM trope that the villain has to die at the end, but the hero can’t be responsible so the villain needs to screw up and accidentally kill themselves in their zeal to kill the hero (the somewhat less common alternate path is they have a moment of clarity and redeem themselves by sacrificing their life to undo their villainy).
    In Spider-Man 2, Peter does ask Doctor Octopus to help stop the reactor experiment and he had to know that doing so would lead to Otto's death. So it's a bit like Peter trying to convice Otto to commit honorable ritual suicide.

With GG in Spider-Man 1, it's a classic self-own from ASM#122, so it works fine.

I think the apex of this ridiculous have-cake-and-eat-it-too approach to killing off bad guys, but keeping the good guys’ hands clean was Batman’s ridiculous justification to Ras Al Ghul when he left him to die on the runaway train in ‘Batman Begins.’
    It was gravity and kinetic energy that killed Ra's. Not Batman.

Even then in the third film, Catwoman straight up guns down Ben with the Batpod's guns, Batman chases down and attacks Talia's van which kills her, and then in retirement, he and Selina have shacked up despite her breaking his "one rule about guns". Hypocrite, but hey it's Anne Hathaway's Selina, I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Not saying it disproves another Spidey, but you noticed that by the end of the trailer Peter and Ock are teaming up right? That would explain their looking in different directions. Plus, Dr Strange could be helping in the fight (after the trailer showing them at odds).
    It's definitely possible but, removing Otto and Strange would be weird since we already know they're helping, while removing other Spiders would make sense to keep the surprise.

But hey, who knows...

Strangely, the trailer has neither made me more or less excited. I'm kinda liking the nostalgia fest but doing a whole multiversal thing with 'live action' Spidey leaves me a little flat. Especially when he still has a bunch of great villains that haven't been adapted yet (to the point that Sony are doing solos).
    It's just odd to do it so soon in his carreer when he barely left Stark's shadow to begin with, now he's dealing with other versions of villains he didn't even fight just because, and the possibility that the other Spider-Men might be there can potentially overshadow Tom's Spidey...

It's a pretty odd, fanfiction-like direction, but hey, while I don't like MCU at all, I'll say I don't want it to be as bad as I'm making it sound like, if a movie's being made it might as well not be worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In Spider-Man 2, Peter does ask Doctor Octopus to help stop the reactor experiment and he had to know that doing so would lead to Otto's death. So it's a bit like Peter trying to convice Otto to commit honorable ritual suicide.

With GG in Spider-Man 1, it's a classic self-own from ASM#122, so it works fine.

Even then in the third film, Catwoman straight up guns down Ben with the Batpod's guns, Batman chases down and attacks Talia's van which kills her, and then in retirement, he and Selina have shacked up despite her breaking his "one rule about guns". Hypocrite, but hey it's Anne Hathaway's Selina, I get it.
    Lol, that just sound like all those comments in Yakuza videos about how Kyriu doesn't kill.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Lol, that just sound like all those comments in Yakuza videos about how Kyriu doesn't kill.
    Deaths in Yakuza only count if it's the second one, or so I hear .

Astonishing Member

Overall, the second trailer was underwhelming. I don't see the point of doing an event for a new trailer that revealed nothing new. I get why they wouldn't show Tobey or Andrew but you would expect at least one of the villains (Green Goblin) to be more featured in the way that Ock was the main sell of the first one.

The first trailer, IMO, is a near-perfect first trailer for this sort of film. It starts off with a nice character moment between Peter and MJ, then shows us a montage of what Peter's identity lealk has done to his life and his loved ones, followed by why he went to Strange and how he multiverse opens, followed by a quick teaser of the villains and Doc Ock being the money shot at the end. Boom. Not bad for a first trailer and enough to get people excited as proven by the views it got and the Spider-Man binging that happened on Netflix.

This one, on top of not revealing anything new, is all over the place. It gives a bit more of the story away but makes it look more like Far From Home with Raimi/Webb villain variants instead of the Endgame-level event it supposedly is.

This trailer also featured certain things that put me off in a way the first trailer didn't. The humor was cringe even by general MCU standards, the joke about Otto Octavius and the Scooby Doo reference especially. The fight scene at the end looked ugly due to its poor choice of colors (yellow with brown with dark green on black), which is surprising because the MCU for all its cinematographic flaws has had some good night-time fight scenes. I love the way the red and green look at night in Spider-Man and Vulture's final battle in Homecoming, or how the purple and neon blue from Black Panther look in the South Korea chase. The fight at the end of this trailer reminded me more of Zack Snyder and BvS, especially since it takes place on an island near the city.

Also, I'm personally not interested in seeing an MCU Spider-Man/Doctor Strange crossover, which this trailer is implying will be the main crossover of the film. Give me a Holland solo or give me a Spider-Verse with all three, the focus on Doctor Strange was Meh because it's essentially more of the Stark/Fury stuff from Homecoming and Far From Home, just with a different MCU hero.

Ock destroying the Iron Spider suit was cool, and I hope metaphorically it means what I want it to mean. "You're not Peter Parker" was a cool tease but not enough to justify holding the event.

Also I like the fan theory going around (if true) that Garfield will be the one to catch Zendaya at the end. I guess this is the first "fan-expected moment" we have of a Spider-Man in this film, like how everyone going into Endgame expected Cap to lift Mjolnir. If it doesn't pay off, it's going to be dissapointing in the same way it would have been had that not payed off.

Also, I wasn't a fan of the Raimi Goblin suit, but the goggles suit looks worse. I hope that is a version of Harry and not Norman.

Those are all my thoughts for now.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-17-2021 at 10:27 AM.

I thought I was done with MCU Spider-Man after the horrible Far From Home, but wow, I can't help but be super excited after watching this trailer. You can't expect me to remain calm after watching Dafoe's Green Goblin appear from the smoke.

I'm really looking forward for this movie and The Batman!
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Bleh. The trailer made me hope neither Tobey or Garfield would be in this movie. A joke from those three bozos about Ock's name? Dr. Strange doing a Scooby Do reference? This is what you think the fans want, Marvel?

Sucks.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

It's possible that Tobey and/or Andrew Spideys are in some shots in the trailer but were removed, the most obvious evidence of this is when it looks like Lizard got punched:

https://twitter.com/Spider_Leaks/sta...88058916274180

Also this:

I bet that Tobey and Garfield aren't gonna show up until the climax. Hell, maybe what brings then to this unigerse is whatever is happening in the statue of liberty, wich seems to be the climax of the movie. I could he wrong, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Deaths in Yakuza only count if it's the second one, or so I hear .
    Kiryu didn't kill then, they comitted suicide by facing him

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I bet that Tobey and Garfield aren't gonna show up until the climax. Hell, maybe what brings then to this unigerse is whatever is happening in the statue of liberty, wich seems to be the climax of the movie. I could he wrong, but i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
    If they show up for a total amount of 5 minutes, it's gonna feel like such an empty fanservice lol.

But yeah, I think they won't be showing up too early on the movie, second half at best, to not risk them overshadowing Tom too much.

Kiryu didn't kill then, they comitted suicide by facing him
    Losts of suicides when people face Kiryu .

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

I must say, even tho MCU Peter means we’ll be is a screw up. Lol. Peter Parker making things worse for people he knows or hisself happens but MCU Peter has screwed up so bad that the entire world is in jeopardy, twice!!?!??. Jonah is right, Spider-Man is a menace

Astonishing Member

The marketing for this film feels like Sony's first rodeo at not trying to spoil a film. They don't want to spoil but they also don't know how to get people excited the way Marvel generally does.

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    I must say, even tho MCU Peter means we’ll be is a screw up. Lol. Peter Parker making things worse for people he knows or hisself happens but MCU Peter has screwed up so bad that the entire world is in jeopardy, twice!!?!??. Jonah is right, Spider-Man is a menace
    That bugged me too. "Ever since you tampered with the spell..." So the multiverse really opens up because a teen couldn't stop talking?

That would mean that whatever death happens in the film 'including civilians) is on Peter.

What happened to the speech from Homecoming and Far From Home about being better than Tony?
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-17-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Peter asked how to shut it down, Ock told him, Peter was going to do it himself but Ock stopped him and said, "Let me."

It's how the proud die! Not on a cross of gold but a humble stake of tin. (Paraphrasing from memory...)

I think if Bruce had simply said nothing and leaped to safety that scene would read a lot differently. That kind of legalism is usually Daredevil's territory!

Of course, Bruce had already killed multiple League of Assassins ninjas and the guy he wouldn't execute when he burned down their hideout. Ra's was the only guy he saved!