Page 48 of 136 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

This movie would have cracked a billion easily pre-pandemic time. With FFH making a billion, it seems like the expectation is for Spider-Man movies to make a billion dollars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    So, what do you think?
    I dunno.

The reason why No Way Home is going for an inter-franchise crossover is because it's a joint Disney-Sony production.

Sony has a vested interested in promoting and hyping up its own legacy. Disney has an interest in downplaying versions not-Disney.

Not that Feige and others at Disney/Marvel aren't jazzed about this film but between building Spider-Man and tying and spinning him off into MCU and Disney+ stuff and doing a big crossover movie promoting Sony's legacy, I doubt it'd be a nanosecond before they chose the former.

Remember that the MCU Spider-Man is a compromise. It's probably not how Feige would have liked to have featured Spidey in the MCU if he didn't have to work with Sony, and as for Sony, I doubt they have a creative vision of Spider-Man aside from something to show to make the shareholders go away. Ideally if the Garfield movies didn't tank they'd have spun-off and done their Spider-Man movies, their Sinister Six spinoffs, and so on and so forth.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post

*Finally, I have to say that Thomas Jane's Punisher and Ben Affleck's Daredevil were way better than the ones from the Marvel's TV series. But if ben Affleck is now DC's new Batman at full time; I suppose that's not an option. Jennifer Garner as Elektra, however, I would love to see it again.

So, what do you think?
    I think that you and I are not likely to agree on much of anything if this is any indication.

Astonishing Member

I mean, if it turns out that Marvel/Disney felt the need to downplay Tobey and Andrew's versions, that alone would tell me everything. It's MCU Spider-Man, it's the "real" live-action Spider-Man (in theory). The brand power is there and the talent is there, so doing that should be unnecessary on paper.

You don't see Greg Weisman feeling the need to downplay the other Spider-Man cartoons or Insomniac feeling the need to downplay the older games. And those entities have much more incentive on paper to do so, since they only have talent and lack the brand power the MCU has.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-29-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I mean, if it turns out that Marvel/Disney felt the need to downplay Tobey and Andrew's versions, that alone would tell me everything. It's MCU Spider-Man, it's the "real" live-action Spider-Man (in theory). The brand power is there and the talent is there, so doing that should be unnecessary on paper.

You don't see Greg Weisman feeling the need to downplay the other Spider-Man cartoons or Insomniac feeling the need to downplay the older games. And those entities have much more incentive on paper to do so, since they only have talent and lack the brand power the MCU has.
    That's us fans more than anything else that would downplay the characters.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Exactly one year. In fact Joe Quesada was skeptical and vetoed the idea because of how weakly Chapter One landed but Jemas overrode him. Not that Quesada will mention that these days, he tends to give the impression that Ultimate Marvel was something he should be credited for.

It goes to show how little "vote with your wallet" counts. Because the idea that "teenage Spider-Man" would be successful failed and was seen as a non-starter but they decided to give it a second or third chance believing a new context and spin would make it work. It goes to show that companies are open-minded when it comes to concepts they are invested in but wouldn't give any second chances to stuff like comics with a female lead or a minority lead and so on. Bendis' ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN is the first commercially successful version of teenage or high school Spider-Man in history.

Bendis in Comic-Creators on Spider-Man said that Jemas was driven by how demoralizing ASM had gotten at the time, with the depression of readers since the Clone Saga and the Post-Clone Saga (which had killed of Mary Jane) and Jemas felt that they needed to get Spider-Man back to how he was, and he felt they needed to do a version of Spider-Man who's a teenager who never grew up.

To me Ultimate Spider-Man's success in comics owes itself largely to how bad the main ASM books were at the time. Who wouldn't want to read a version of Spider-Man that wasn't eternally depressing with the cool supporting cast dead, and whose hero wasn't trapped in frustration and misery when you have a main book that's so bad. I don't think it proved in any sense that teenage Spider-Man was more viable.

Well she survived in the Raimi film. Raimi was explicit that he didn't like Gwen Stacy as a character and she didn't inspire his conception of MJ in any way.

In the movie maybe, in the comics he's just an a--hole.
    Well, I think Chapter One (though it's a guilty pleasure of mine ) failed because it was basically a rehash of the early Lee/Dikto issues with a few superficial updates and some weird retcons (Peter being one of the few survivors of a nuclear explosion? The burglar casing the Parker home because he wanted to team-up with Spider-Man?).

Ultimate Spider-Man worked because it really updated Peter Parker and his world for the 21st century, and morever, was able to start with a clean slate. And I think the fact that it came out not long before the movie propelled Spider-Man into the forefront of pop-cultural success sure helped!

I think any 'reboot' or 'reimagining' of a character thrives on the fact that the 'original' version had too much baggage or jumped the shark somewhere. And USM came out not long before the whole concept of 'rebooting' really got a massive push in pop-culture with the Batman movies, James Bond, Star Trek and so much more.

As far as Gwen goes, Raimi's MJ wasn't based on her at a character level, but more from a plot perspective - as Peter's first big love, and as the person the Goblin takes to the bridge. In turn, Webb's Gwen was inspired by Ultimate MJ, though she ends up suffering a version of the original version's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    One thing that always weirded me out about that train fight in Spider-Man 2 is how much Doc Ock seemed able to take Spider-Man’s superhuman punches when he himself hasn’t obtained any augmented physical durability during his accident. I’m sure many could simply chalk it up to Spider-Man holding back his punches in order to avoid killing him but the way it’s presenting in the film just seems like Spidey is punching hard and not holding back. I think the filmmakers present that scene as if Ock has superhuman durability.
    Spider-Man is hitting him with the force of a freight train like 80 times and he takes it like he's in a Matrix movie. This is because Spider-Man 2 is a dumb movie that makes no sense. Still great, though.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

They are all real.
    We can all choose who we want to be our Spidey
    Same way se can choose to ignore OOC stories and canon stuff if we want.
    Media gives content, we can choose to believe what we want and how to interpret.It's not like an official sport

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    They are all real.
    We can all choose who we want to be our Spidey
    Same way se can choose to ignore OOC stories and canon stuff if we want.
    Media gives content, we can choose to believe what we want and how to interpret.It's not like an official sport
    i keep telling people that but some act like tom hollands Spiderman is the last live action spiderman they will ever see

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i keep telling people that but some act like tom hollands Spiderman is the last live action spiderman they will ever see
    I mean, to an extent, this Spider-Man is the "last" isn't he? The MCU doesn't do reboots, at least not for the near future. So every near-future Spider-Man film will have to build off of this one, to a certain extent.

Well, it's the multiverse, every Spider-Man (Tobey, Andrew, Tom) is canon and "real". If "No Way Home" turns out as a box office hit, something tells me that SM4 and TASM3 will be green light. It's always about the money and now we have Disney+ and that Sony's universe (of something something, name is lame af).

To be honest I could see Sony working on this movie to the point of where Holland just gets non-MCU solo movies moving forward if the deal doesn't keep up.

I mean, to an extent, this Spider-Man is the "last" isn't he? The MCU doesn't do reboots, at least not for the near future. So every near-future Spider-Man film will have to build off of this one, to a certain extent.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think it time for live action Miles to make his appearance if they don't plan on doing any more movies with Tom Holland. Peter Parker character got 11 live action movie appearances in total after NWH. Miles sells as evidence with his game and itsv. Might as well do him

Extraordinary Member

Maybe, maybe not. I think it time for live action Miles to make his appearance if they don't plan on doing any more movies with Tom Holland. Peter Parker character got 11 live action movie appearances in total after NWH. Miles sells as evidence with his game and itsv. Might as well do him
    They will probably in the MCU.Hopefully this Peter gets to grow up before that and like gets 2 more trilogies.
    He is the biggest character Marvel has, removing him makes no sense.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe once MCU dies in like a decade or 2 we get a new one.As mentioned above by someone they will pull Miles on us.
    Just give us Spectacular continuation for the meanwhile.