Page 106 of 136 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 2039
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doesn't that just mean the Screenslaver was just riffing off Mysterio?
    It means that MCU are riffing off copies and imitations of the source and not the source itself.

Astonishing Member

I actually really like MCU Mysterio. It's probably the only reason that FFH is somewhat memorable to me. One of the best MCU villains IMO.

The stuff with the drones, I attribute that more to the film wanting to make him a parallel to Iron Man and the "new evil Iron Man" (to contrast it with Peter being the "new good Spider-Man"). That part I don't like, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the film trying to "modernize" Mysterio. Mysterio to me is about distorting reality with illusions and whatever resources he has, and in the case of FFH that just happened to have been drones.

Plus, the general sense I get from Gyllenhaal's take is that even without the drones, his particular version would have still found ways to be lethal and menacing. Like in the scene where he almost shoots Peter in the head with a pistol. I remember almost jumping out of my seat (anyone without spider-sense or Daredevil's radar sense would have died from that).

Also, Mysterio fooling Skrulls is very boss.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-24-2021 at 11:10 AM.

While I enjoy 616 Mysterio being all practical effects and tricks, that doesn't translate so well to live action where the antagonist is expected to be a physical threat to the hero in some way, as well as stand out from normal people.

Like if Chameleon ever gets adapted to film it would be reasonable to have the version where he could change his appearance and voice as a superpower, even if that wasn't very popular in the comics.

Felt pretty on point for Mysterio imo. I remember the 90's cartoon had Beck first frame Spidey and then vow to capture him, planning to become a hero in the process. Here he starts out pretending to be a hero from another universe and then frames Spidey for his murder at the end. He's honestly one of the best MCU villain adaptations from comic to screen, even with the obligatory "Tony Stark hate boner," imo. It doesn't feel like a rip off of the Incredibles 2 at all.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I actually really like MCU Mysterio. It's probably the only reason that FFH is somewhat memorable to me. One of the best MCU villains IMO.

The stuff with the drones, I attribute that more to the film wanting to make him a parallel to Iron Man and the "new evil Iron Man" (to contrast it with Peter being the "new good Spider-Man"). That part I don't like, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the film trying to "modernize" Mysterio. Mysterio to me is about distorting reality with illusions and whatever resources he has, and in the case of FFH that just happened to have been drones.

Plus, the general sense I get from Gyllenhaal's take is that even without the drones, his particular version would have still found ways to be lethal and menacing. Like in the scene where he almost shoots Peter in the head with a pistol. I remember almost jumping out of my seat (anyone without spider-sense or Daredevil's radar sense would have died from that).

I think the one thing fans near unanimously agree on is that the best part of MCU Spider-Man has been the villains.

In-universe I think Beck was deliberately trying to go for something Iron Man-esque with a dash of Thor for the Mysterio persona, and that had the added touch of putting him in the "father figure" role with Peter still reeling from losing Tony. Granted, for anyone who doesn't really care for that dynamic it's not ideal even if it made sense in the context of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas 35 View Post
    Now Betty's the unpaid intern. At least she stood up for Peter .

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

So I'm kind of convinced that the other Peters are going to be reserved for the third act, kind of like how Spider-Noir/Peni Parker/Spider-Ham was in the Spider-Verse movie.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    So I'm kind of convinced that the other Peters are going to be reserved for the third act, kind of like how Spider-Noir/Peni Parker/Spider-Ham was in the Spider-Verse movie.
    Yeah, unless they're really hiding them well, it seems like they only show up at the end to back Holland up against the rest of the villains.

Makes me wonder how much time they'll get to actually spend talking with Holland or dealing with stuff outside the fights.

Makes sense I didn't expect them to be co leads in this film
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

I think the one thing fans near unanimously agree on is that the best part of MCU Spider-Man has been the villains.
    Vulture and Mysterio are definitely my favorite live-action Spider-Man villains. (I like Dafoe's Goblin a lot too, but would prefer the sane Norman and a more theatrical suit, and Molina is great as Ock but I have some problems wit
    his characterization as discussed earlier).

The second trailer definitely makes it look like that. It's probably why I was a lot less excited by the second trailer than the first.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-24-2021 at 02:06 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    That I'll give you. The part in the end when the Skrulls are griping in the car about how Mysterio pwned them and they have to make excuses to the real Nick was quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    While I enjoy 616 Mysterio being all practical effects and tricks, that doesn't translate so well to live action where the antagonist is expected to be a physical threat to the hero in some way, as well as stand out from normal people.
    Mysterio isn't really a physical threat in FFH as it is. Nor is Vulture where the movie removes the fact that Roger Stern established that the Vulture suit and harness gave the wearer super-strength.

Spider-Man isn't Batman. A good to great Batman movie can be centered entirely on the villains at the expense of the hero but you can't do that with Spider-Man and be satisfying.

Now Betty's the unpaid intern. At least she stood up for Peter .
    Speaking of Jameson, Simmons gave an interview where he threw some shade at the producers:

https://thedirect.com/article/spider...racter-version

"I think it’s a slightly different version, certainly from the creators of this current iteration of the story, it’s a very different character. To me, it’s a slightly different character. It’s the same blowhard, the same guy with less hair, and honestly, I kinda wish he still had the same hair, but I think the first time they asked me to do it, I assume it was kinda late notice decision on their parts to add Jameson because once they came and asked me to do it, it was like ‘Let’s sit down, let’s have a meeting with all the big wigs as Sony and talk about it,’ and, ‘Yes, ok,’ and, ‘Bang, Bang, Bang, the deal’s done and, you know, we’re shooting the day after tomorrow, and no we don’t want you to have the flat-top haircut,’ and I was like ‘wait, wait, wait, what?’ ‘Yeah, we don’t want the cigar and the mustache and the blah blah blah,’ and I was like, ‘That’s kinda the guy, you know?’"

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That I'll give you. The part in the end when the Skrulls are griping in the car about how Mysterio pwned them and they have to make excuses to the real Nick was quite funny.
    Of course it also means Peter wasn't worth the real Nick Fury's time.
    Mysterio isn't really a physical threat in FFH as it is. Nor is Vulture where the movie removes the fact that Roger Stern established that the Vulture suit and harness gave the wearer super-strength.
    Well, Vulture's benefit in Homecoming was that Peter was kind of incompetent .
    Spider-Man isn't Batman. A good to great Batman movie can be centered entirely on the villains at the expense of the hero but you can't do that with Spider-Man and be satisfying.
    I mean, the best Raimi films are as remembered for their villains as they are for how they depicted the hero, so I feel like both are important.

If nothing else at least it bucks the trend of poor MCU villains.
    Speaking of Jameson, Simmons gave an interview where he threw some shade at the producers:

https://thedirect.com/article/spider...racter-version

"I think it’s a slightly different version, certainly from the creators of this current iteration of the story, it’s a very different character. To me, it’s a slightly different character. It’s the same blowhard, the same guy with less hair, and honestly, I kinda wish he still had the same hair, but I think the first time they asked me to do it, I assume it was kinda late notice decision on their parts to add Jameson because once they came and asked me to do it, it was like ‘Let’s sit down, let’s have a meeting with all the big wigs as Sony and talk about it,’ and, ‘Yes, ok,’ and, ‘Bang, Bang, Bang, the deal’s done and, you know, we’re shooting the day after tomorrow, and no we don’t want you to have the flat-top haircut,’ and I was like ‘wait, wait, wait, what?’ ‘Yeah, we don’t want the cigar and the mustache and the blah blah blah,’ and I was like, ‘That’s kinda the guy, you know?’"
    He doesn't really look quite like Jameson without it, but I guess that's something we can blame Sony for.

BANNED

Of course it also means Peter wasn't worth the real Nick Fury's time.
    Well, Nick Fury in the MCU was pwned by HYDRA in Winter Soldier, guess it wouldn't do for him to be fooled by someone as lowly as Mysterio.

Still fooling a bunch of Skrulls is pretty impressive given that until Carol showed up in the 90s, they fooled desk jockey Nick pretty good.

He doesn't really look quite like Jameson without it, but I guess that's something we can blame Sony for.
    Simmons wasn't blaming Sony entirely. He was describing the entire process of his casting and him being brought in, but he doesn't specify who made the decision to change his look. It sounds like it was Feige and Watts who decided on that.

Hopefully they're not like Noir/Peni/Ham in the sense they don't really matter to the plot and can be removed without losing much lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Wasn't Spidey in Civil War similarly a last minute addition? Annoying pattern if so lol.

Astonishing Member

The no-cigar thing sounds a lot like Disney. I'm pretty sure it's confirmed they have a policy like that. It's part of their kid-friendly PR image.