Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
Well that's part of the whole baggage of the movie's dubious class politics. It bothers me that the producers spread this idea that Peter couldn't build the Spider-Man suit which he did in the comics, because apparently poor people can't stitch or maybe they think Peter knowing needlework means he's a girl or something, and that it's more acceptable for a rich businessman with a 3D printer to make it.
A lot of people don't seem to expect someone of Peter's resources would be able to come up with a suit that looks as good as the normal Spider-Man suit.
Nolan's last Batman movie reused the suit from the second one, didn't affect or hurt its merchandising sales one bit.
I don't think Nolan's Batman films were as heavy on the merchandise as the MCU films are.
The comparison isn't to Tony Stark in the Avengers, it's to Tony Stark in his solo movies where he struggled against Ivan Vanko (needing Rhodey to beat him up), and against Killian (where he basically destroyed all his suits to fight him and ultimately Pepper was the one who finished him). Tony Stark individually isn't below the paygrade of a gang of sophisticated thieves who repurpose and rewire Chitaturi tech to successfully rob the US Government for more than a half-decade without the Avengers and Shield noticing that their inventory is getting thin.
Vanko was Tony's second Supervillain that went directly after him and got his own legion of robots at his command by the end of the movie. Killian kidnapped the President with his army of heat-spewing monsters. On-paper I feel like they're a bit of a bigger deal than what Toomes' crew would look like at first glance.

Although it did always kind of irk me how Tony could never finish a fight in his own movie without help.
As for the Avengers, at the time of Homecoming, the Avengers is basically Tony, Rhodey, Vision (and given he's seeing Wanda secretly, he's not reliable). The big heavy hitters -- Hulk, Thor -- are off-planet. Cap, Natasha, Falcon, Ant-Man have their own splinter-Avengers group. Black Panther is aligned with Cap. So we aren't talking about a full roster of Avengers, basically just three dudes in a compound.
I mean, it's not a question of the current membership at the time of the movie, just going off what we have seen The Avengers deal with in the films they're either hunting down international terrorists or mercenaries or international disasters. With the limited roster Tony is probably even more busy than what we see in the film.

And, again, he still ended up getting involved with what Peter was dealing with.
Anyway you look at this, Tony's actions and attitude makes no sense.
You can not like his reaction, but I think it makes sense.