Page 108 of 136 FirstFirst ... 85898104105106107108109110111112118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 2039
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

All of you who whined and complained about the Raimi suit owe the rest of us people who had taste and elegance and wit and all that sh-t, a serious apology.
    LOL. Alternatively, you're basing your opinion on one, relatively bad, promo shot and letting your usual hyperbolic tendencies run away with you.

Also, NOTHING could be worse than the Raimi suit. NOTHING.

they just dont like masks do they.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    they just dont like masks do they.
    Who all isn’t wearing a mask that traditionally “should”?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    The attacks one makes towards people for not liking a thing one likes (or vice-versus) are really, really weird.
    pretty sure the attacks arent even serious. People associated themselves too much with the characters they like. So if anyone has anything criticism or complaints about said character, They take it as a slight against themselves personally
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    pretty sure the attacks arent even serious. People associated themselves too much with the characters they like. So if anyone has anything criticism or complaints about said character, They take it as a slight against themselves personally
    A few paragraphs dissecting a costume change and staging ones preferences isn’t “taking things too seriously”?

I’m not even really a Spider-Man fan. I’ve tried to like the character, it just usually falls through.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 11-25-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Personally from what I've seen of the look in the trailer and poster, it doesn't come off as visually distinctive as the Raimi Goblin. Like, seeing the reactions to the Raimi suit in all its glory while people keep mistaking the hooded Goblin for Harry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    The funny thing is that she always admitted she likes Peter, but he thought she was talking about Harry, but once she mentions that she saw the guy she likes being kissed on the arcade, he realized, but then on the same day MJ tells Peter she's happy for him and Gwen.

The dumb drama in that series was hilarious and the more convoluted it got, the harder I was laughing, it's too bad Felicia is barely a part of it .
    Teen drama, amirite ?
    That season 2 probably killed any chances of it returning lol.
    It definitely wasn't as good as the original run.
    I still felt like there was little actual chemistry between them, and he felt, I dunno, bland I guess.

It's kinda ironic now that I think of it, 'cause this is the opposite of how I feel compared to Ditko's run, where Peter is one of the two interesting characters while I don't like any of the non-JJ supporting cast members, but in SMLMJ I'm okay with the rest, but Peter bores me lol.
    I thought they were pretty cute together myself .
    Friend of mine says it could be an anti-Electro suit, but yeah, wouldn't explain the magic stuff that shows up.
    I think he's wearing the suit when he's facing off against Lizard to, so I think it's a suit for hunting down the villains.

Astonishing Member

As, someone who didn't like the Raimi Goblin suit, I do think the new outfit is worse. That said, I refuse to believe it was between this and the Raimi suit.

The new suit immediately loses points from me for not having a mask. I mean it when I say this... When it comes to the Green Goblin, bad mask is better than no mask. Seriously. I'm tired of this Bendis-esque attitude that masks don't matter when it comes to Spider-Man and Green Goblin.

Second, as Jack said, the Weird Al joke about how he is "scarier without it on" is true partly because of Dafoe's eyes. This comes off like a studio not understanding why that costume was bashed in the first place.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-25-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    As, someone who didn't like the Raimi Goblin suit, I do think the new outfit is worse. That said, I refuse to believe it was between this and the Raimi suit.

The new suit immediately loses points from me for not having a mask. I mean it when I say this... When it comes to the Green Goblin, bad mask is better than no mask. Seriously. I'm tired of this Bendis-esque attitude that masks don't matter when it comes to Spider-Man and Green Goblin.

Second, as Jack said, the Weird Al joke about how he is "scarier without it on" is true partly because of Dafoe's eyes. This comes off like a studio not understanding why that costume was bashed in the first place.
    I think the only perk to it is Dafoe's face, but that's not really a Green Goblin look in my opinion. I mean, we saw what they did with Dane DeHaan...

BANNED

It's possible in theory to improve on the Raimi suit, but after suffering through Dane DeHaan and now this for 2 whole decades...we have to accept that the first suit is hard to beat in terms of translating the design principle and concept from panel-and-balloon to live-action.

Agreed.

I think it's more that the studio didn't understand that despite people whining about the mask the first movie is still the most profitable and Dafoe's Goblin was easily the most liked and popular of that movie's villains. They don't have the moxie that George Lucas does, i.e. truly knowing your fandom and not the most overt self-representatives of that fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the only perk to it is Dafoe's face, but that's not really a Green Goblin look in my opinion. I mean, we saw what they did with Dane DeHaan...
    It's Dafoe with dark eye-goggles. If they applied lenses that made his eyes visible at least that would have been something but this is just lame. He doesn't look frightening at all, he looks like a homeless person who got on a glider and Goblin should always be very plush looking as a character.

Astonishing Member

IMO, Dafoe looks good as a maskless Goblin in the first Raimi film. Particularly when he says "Godspeed Spider-Man".

I think this new design is the worst of both worlds. Dafoe still can't use those scary eyes, except that now we removed the thematic ideas that come with the mask. We lost and gained nothing IMO.

It's possible in theory to improve on the Raimi suit, but after suffering through Dane DeHaan and now this for 2 whole decades...we have to accept that the first suit is hard to beat in terms of translating the design principle and concept from panel-and-balloon to live-action.
    That's like saying an armored Batman works better because no one prior to Batfleck has done fabric. Like I always said back then, "The general public has never been asked of their opinion nor have they been offered an alternative". The same is true of the Green Goblin design, and DeHaan barely counts because that film wasn't going for a more 616 Goblin in the first place.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-25-2021 at 12:02 PM.

BANNED

IMO, Dafoe looks good as a maskless Goblin in the first Raimi film. Particularly when he says "Godspeed Spider-Man".
    Yeah I think Dafoe maskless would have worked better than what they chose.

I think this new design is the worst of both worlds. Dafoe still can't use those scary eyes, except that now we removed the thematic ideas that come with the mask. We lost and gained nothing IMO.
    I mean they aren't doing the secret identity thing anymore. Spider-Man 1 is basically the only time you had a movie where Spider-Man and the villain face off as "Spider-Man" and "Green Goblin" multiple times before either learns the other's identity. All the movies after that backtracked from that little by little.

So why not just have him be Maskless Norman.

Like I always said back then, "The general public has never been asked of their opinion nor have they been offered an alternative".
    Film aesthetics aren't exactly a big-tent democracy in the first place. The first Spider-Man film's look was decided upon based on aesthetics and requirements. The idea they all wanted was that Goblin's mask should look scary and frightening, and a little demonic. That intent works brilliantly in the Aunt May prayer scene. Sam Raimi clearly wanted that hint of horror because of his roots. In the comics, Green Goblin was intended as a Halloween-esque villain and conjure associations of a medieval fairy-tale goblin. That's become super dated by the early 2000s (who for instance these days grew up knowing Christina Rossetti's poem GOBLIN MARKET or other Victorian fairy tales and poems that made the goblin a part of folklore) and you had to update it. Part of the reason Greg Weisman's Spectacular version of Green Goblin works so well is that he's one of the few storytellers schooled in that kind of old fashioned folklore (as apparent in Gargoyles) but creators and audiences today don't have those references anymore.

In the case of NWH, it's like Jon Watts, Feige or whover-the-heck had no clue whatsoever about style or visual design. Obviously they aren't reimagining Green Goblin for the MCU. There's a corporate mandate for redesigns because of merchandise reasons, so they can market multiple GG action figures and so on. But in terms of core visual style, the MCU is theoretically supposed to be "truer to the comics" and accurate to comics design, and this design doesn't achieve that at all.

It's just ungainly.

So one of Sony/Disney's new crapppy posters had a glimpse of Dafoe's redesigned Goblin. And boy does it suck.

I mean the Raimi suit at least got the idea that Goblin's mask was supposed to be a fright mask. This one though is just Dafoe being Goggles with his exposed chin while flying around and that just does nothing. I know there was the gag that Dafoe looked scarier without the mask...but you know he doesn't look scarier without his eyes (aka the most distinct and unqiue feature of Willem Dafoe as an actor). This is the worst of all worlds. And his hood is a literally hoodie hood, I have an Army-Green hoodie that looks just like that one over his head...how lame is this. This guy is a rich billionaire psychopath, he shouldn't ever look off-the-shelf.

The Winter Soldier-like arm isn't bad looking and wrist mounted guns isn't out of character but still this is substantially inferior than the Raimi suit in terms of aesthetics, practicality, design, and also comics-accuracy. In no way an improvement.

All of you who whined and complained about the Raimi suit owe the rest of us people who had taste and elegance and wit and all that sh-t, a serious apology.
    Nice attitude.

Teen drama, amirite ?
    Right lol.

It definitely wasn't as good as the original run.
    Yeah, this is basically the only good moment it had:

(SMLMJ#2 season 2)

I think he's wearing the suit when he's facing off against Lizard to, so I think it's a suit for hunting down the villains.
    So like the movie's own version of the anti-Sinister Six suit?

That MCU Goblin design is New Goblin bad. Get him back in that Power Ranger baddie suit, you cowards.

It's Dafoe's imitation of Ock in the SM2 gag reel all over again.

Wonder why the original suit was in the previous images. Maybe he gets to wear both?
    Last edited by Webhead; 11-25-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It's Dafoe's imitation of Ock in the SM2 gag reel all over again.

Wonder why the original suit was in the previous images. Maybe he gets to wear both?
    I presume it's because he's transported right from when he was originally fighting Spider-Man at the climax of SM1 and then his suit gets damaged during the fight between MCU!Peter and Doc Ock.