Page 100 of 136 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2039
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Why would Ned need to die for Miles to show up?
    Because Ned is Ganke, whom MCU Miles will almost certainly need (he can't make the webbing or hack). Then you reintroduce Ned as Ganke (skinny, with pale skin, and with glasses like in ITSV and Insomniac to distinguish him from "Ned").

I guess Ned can also stick around as an older mentor for Miles, but it wouldn't be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Because Ned is Ganke, whom MCU Miles will almost certainly need (he can't make the webbing or hack). Then you reintroduce Ned as Ganke (skinny, with pale skin, and with glasses like in ITSV and Insomniac to distinguish him from "Ned").

I guess Ned can also stick around as an older mentor for Miles, but it wouldn't be the same.
    I mean, they already ran into that stupid trap by making Ned be Ganke to begin with, killing Ned isn't going to make a possible Ganke look better, or more "original", the damage has been done already.

Not that I'm denying the possibility of Ned being killed for drama, just find it silly the idea that Ned being killed will somehow smooth things over for Miles lol.

BANNED

I mean, they already ran into that stupid trap by making Ned be Ganke to begin with, killing Ned isn't going to make a possible Ganke look better, or more "original", the damage has been done already.

Not that I'm denying the possibility of Ned being killed for drama, just find it silly the idea that Ned being killed will somehow smooth things over for Miles lol.
    I don't think there would be "damage". I mean Ned's a Filipino American, Ganke Lee is Korean-American, so there's nothing inherently common aside from the idea of Asian-Americans being automatic sidekicks I suppose, but then I don't think that's a problem after Shang-Chi.

And likewise, I don't think the Peter-Ned friendship defines the MCU Spider-Man movies. The main takeaway is the Tony Stark stuff. So it's not as big a hurdle for people to get over.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I don't think there would be "damage". I mean Ned's a Filipino American, Ganke Lee is Korean-American, so there's nothing inherently common aside from the idea of Asian-Americans being automatic sidekicks I suppose, but then I don't think that's a problem after Shang-Chi.

And likewise, I don't think the Peter-Ned friendship defines the MCU Spider-Man movies. The main takeaway is the Tony Stark stuff. So it's not as big a hurdle for people to get over.
    MCU Ned was the reason why Ganke wasn't really a character in Into the Spider-Verse.

https://twitter.com/philiplord/statu...324418?lang=en

There was a lot of Ganke in the movie about 18 months ago but when they borrowed so much of Ganke for Ned we worried auds would think we were ripping off Homecoming so we simplified his story and left it for the next movie
    9:07 PM · Jan 2, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    MCU Ned was the reason why Ganke wasn't really a character in Into the Spider-Verse.

https://twitter.com/philiplord/statu...324418?lang=en
    In a movie like ITSV where the ensemble is so packed and Ganke with limited screentime wouldn't have time to be distinguished, that makes sense.

But if you were to do a solo Miles live-action and establish the characters then I don't think it'll be such a problem. Distinguish Ganke with a tweaked personality from MCU Ned and it'll be fine.

Like with Iron Man they gave so much that defined Hank Pym and Reed Richards into him. MCU Hank Pym is obviously a distinct enough presence regardless (as an older mentor/ex-superhero and comic foil). Now MCU Reed will come in and it will be slightly hard to tweak Reed without making him too much like RDJ right down to his relationship with Sue which might echo the Tony-Pepper romance.

Likewise, Gorr the God Butcher inspired Hela's use of blades and now the real guy is coming in the next movie played by Christian Bale. So it's not like this is a new problem the MCU have had before.

The MCU already has a problem with everyone quipping all the time, even the characters who don't in the comics, but the lowered standards of dialogue don't seem to be an obstacle so far.

I'm not talking about races, I'm talking about the characters' roles, Ned got Ganke's role, and now introducing Ganke to Miles is gonna be more complicated since Peter essentially stole Ganke from Miles, and my point is that killing Ganke will do nothing to stop people from comparing Ned to Ganke, if we get Ganke that is.

And the "damage" I was talking about was about Ned being "the guy in the chair" kind of role, Ned already did it, that means if Ganke repeats it, he'll be called a Ned ripoff, and whether or not Ganke gets killed won't change that, or stop any comparisons between them if Ganke has a similar role.

It's not the defining factor but Ned is still a big deal in what makes this version of Peter stand out.

I mean, different Asian ethnicity aside, he's clearly physically and characterization-wise supposed to be Miles' Ganke.

Now, they can do a version of him that's distinct, maybe make him look more like Insomniac Ganke, but it just points out how ridiculous his existence in these films is.

BANNED

I'm not talking about races, I'm talking about the characters' roles, Ned got Ganke's role, and now introducing Ganke to Miles is gonna be more complicated since Peter essentially stole Ganke from Miles, and my point is that killing Ganke will do nothing to stop people from comparing Ned to Ganke, if we get Ganke that is.

And the "damage" I was talking about was about Ned being "the guy in the chair" kind of role, Ned already did it, that means if Ganke repeats it, he'll be called a Ned ripoff, and whether or not Ganke gets killed won't change that, or stop any comparisons between them if Ganke has a similar role.

It's not the defining factor but Ned is still a big deal in what makes this version of Peter stand out.
    Look the MCU featured multiple versions of Mandarin, I think it's not a big deal. If they could sort out that self-made mess and come out like champs with Tony Leung's performance in the Shang-Chi movie, I think the audience will buy the next bill of goods, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, different Asian ethnicity aside, he's clearly physically and characterization-wise supposed to be Miles' Ganke.

Now, they can do a version of him that's distinct, maybe make him look more like Insomniac Ganke, but it just points out how ridiculous his existence in these films is.
    That's all true, but look I don't think MCU Peter appropriating Miles is a good enough reason to take away Miles' biggest supporting character from a potential live-action movie.

The nature of comics is to multiply and duplicate after all.

That's all true, but look I don't think MCU Peter appropriating Miles is a good enough reason to take away Miles' biggest supporting character from a potential live-action movie.

It just goes to show they never really should've tried to ape Ganke with Peter to begin with.

Look the MCU featured multiple versions of Mandarin, I think it's not a big deal.
    Riiight, that whole thing about the Mandarin being fake and he was actually some guy, that was funny.

If they could sort out that self-made mess and come out like champs with Tony Leung's performance in the Shang-Chi movie, I think the audience will buy the next bill of goods, lol.
    Sure, I just think the whole "Ned = Ganke" is ridiculous, and will be even more ridiculous once they actually have to come up with something else if they want Ganke to not be a Ned clone.

I mean, considering MCU made Peter into Stark's sidekick to begin with, and sidelined aunt May, and gave him Ganke, that shows MCU may do whatever the hell they want, and whatever's classic or established about characters is very much optional, so Miles could end up not having Ganke if they want to lol.

Not saying that should happen, but it's a possibility, and only time will tell what they'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It just goes to show they never really should've tried to ape Ganke with Peter to begin with.
    Specially if Miles is on the plans, mixing up Peter and Miles can look a bit annoying but would be more understandable if Peter was supposed to be the only one, but if Miles is supposed to show up later, then now they have to make Miles stand out, and with Peter being basically a white washed Miles, yeah...

Astonishing Member

They probably weren't expecting Miles to be done this soon in another film or for him to break out the way he did in past few years.

BANNED

They probably weren't expecting Miles to be done this soon in another film or for him to break out the way he did in past few years.
    Right, just as they weren't expecting the Fantastic Four in the MCU becoming a possibility in a decade after Iron Man. So the stuff about Tony being Hank Pym and sorta-like Reed Richards (Smartest Guy in the World, Blonde Wife, Bright Daughter) will be a little odd when the OG shows up. There's granted a lot of stuff about the F4 aside from Reed and so on, but initially Reed will be seen as "New Tony Stark" and obviously the F4 will be the overall franchise protagonists once they make their effective debut.

True, while there was an obvious Miles hint in Homecoming, he probably would only be used much later.

Right, just as they weren't expecting the Fantastic Four in the MCU becoming a possibility in a decade after Iron Man. So the stuff about Tony being Hank Pym and sorta-like Reed Richards (Smartest Guy in the World, Blonde Wife, Bright Daughter) will be a little odd when the OG shows up. There's granted a lot of stuff about the F4 aside from Reed and so on, but initially Reed will be seen as "New Tony Stark" and obviously the F4 will be the overall franchise protagonists once they make their effective debut.
    Will they though? F4 hasn't been popular in around 30 years, and their other movies aren't known for being good, so that doesn't help their popularity, and Marvel itself doesn't know if their own version of F4 will be popular, not to mention it's a team that's not The Avengers taking over as protagonists... I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be so certain they'll be so important all of a sudden, and if anything the X-Men would be a safer bet, even if it'd be weird for them to take such a position.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-20-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Mighty Member

Instead of trying to out Ganke “Ned”, how about they just turn “Ganke” into Ned? They already did a Korean American version of the guy in the Spectacular animated series. . Maybe “Ganke” will have a journalism internship at the Daily Bugle or something…

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if Miles started just getting Peter’s stuff?

BANNED

Will they though? F4 hasn't been popular in around 30 years,
    Under Hickman, the F4 were at the center of Marvel's biggest event in the 2010s - SECRET WARS (2015).

not to mention it's a team that's not The Avengers taking over as protagonists
    Avengers are a Tony and Steve short. Just as without Jim Morrison you don't have The Doors even if The Doors continued after him.

They're not gonna recast Tony and Steve Rogers for at least five or six years. Probably not even in a decade. They have Thor but he's not enough to have a team called The Avengers feel like the Avengers. Or do people think that Scott Lang's Ant-Man is gonna step up as team leader all of a sudden?

... I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be so certain they'll be so important all of a sudden, and if anything the X-Men would be a safer bet, even if it'd be weird for them to take such a position.
    The Avengers until now anchored around Iron Man until Endgame. Right now you have this interregnum period where you have some movies on their third films (GOTG, ANT-MAN), some on their second (Dr. Strange), Thor is on his fourth film and it remains to be seen what it does. Then Black Panther's sequel is in some kind of limbo after Boseman's death.

So there's a vaccuum and none of the characters and stories announced can step in without pre-attached baggage. The Fantastic Four can play that role and obviously Doctor Doom is the next Thanos-level villain.