Page 109 of 136 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 2039
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That MCU Goblin design is New Goblin bad. Get him back in that Power Ranger baddie suit, you cowards.
    Well he starts out in that suit and while scrounging around the MCU, he presumably gets other stuff to use.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    So one of Sony/Disney's new crapppy posters had a glimpse of Dafoe's redesigned Goblin. And boy does it suck.

I mean the Raimi suit at least got the idea that Goblin's mask was supposed to be a fright mask. This one though is just Dafoe being Goggles with his exposed chin while flying around and that just does nothing. I know there was the gag that Dafoe looked scarier without the mask...but you know he doesn't look scarier without his eyes (aka the most distinct and unqiue feature of Willem Dafoe as an actor). This is the worst of all worlds. And his hood is a literally hoodie hood, I have an Army-Green hoodie that looks just like that one over his head...how lame is this. This guy is a rich billionaire psychopath, he shouldn't ever look off-the-shelf.

The Winter Soldier-like arm isn't bad looking and wrist mounted guns isn't out of character but still this is substantially inferior than the Raimi suit in terms of aesthetics, practicality, design, and also comics-accuracy. In no way an improvement.

All of you who whined and complained about the Raimi suit owe the rest of us people who had taste and elegance and wit and all that sh-t, a serious apology.
    I also prefer the old version, but I guess this could be a way to transform the Green Goblin into the HobGoblin, if you ask me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I also prefer the old version, but I guess this could be a way to transform the Green Goblin into the HobGoblin, if you ask me.
    I will say one thing, the fact that so many people initially thought (from the freeze-frame of the second trailer) that the second Goblin look was Franco or DeHaan just proves one thing...Dafoe is ageless. He's pushing 70 and with a little make-up and hair-dye dude looks just like he did around 2002. I mean he's somehow had the same face since the 1980s.

Astonishing Member

I will say one thing, the fact that so many people initially thought (from the freeze-frame of the second trailer) that the second Goblin look was Franco or DeHaan just proves one thing...Dafoe is ageless. He's pushing 70 and with a little make-up and hair-dye dude looks just like he did around 2002. I mean he's somehow had the same face since the 1980s.
    No one is immune to the pass of time, but some people age better than others. It all depends on what they did with their youth. A good example is those who use drugs or steroids, as I have seen the effects on long term and I can assure you, a life of those can make you age 10 times faster. (It's horrible). Some other people just need to feel happyness in their life and they will look younger than their actual age.

Mighty Member

Oi… that suit is bad… like really bad. I didn’t care for the Spider-Man 1 suit all that much, but at least there was the thematics there. Perhaps he’ll just be called Norman Osborn here… as he definitely isn’t doing a “goblin” and I’m unsure if he’s even green anymore. They couldn’t opt for green face paint? They could have done the Alex Ross look facially and called it a day (the goggles are clear enough to see the eyes)
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 11-26-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

All this talk about the googles hiding his eyes is weird. Like… y’all realize he can easily take them off and might only use them while flying right?

The design is fine. The “beloved” power ranger suit is clearly still there so I don’t know what all the fuss is about. The only real differences is no mask, an additional purple poncho and some silver under armor exposed by the holes in the damaged green armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    That's like saying an armored Batman works better because no one prior to Batfleck has done fabric.
    The Batman example doesn't work because we do have a live action Batman that had a fabric costume or at least one that wasn't armor (Adam West and the Burton/Schumacher movies).

Like I always said back then, "The general public has never been asked of their opinion nor have they been offered an alternative".
    Leaving aside that they have been given alternatives in Batman's case, if people had an issue with armored Batman, it would be reflected in the reviews or box office. If people appear to be satisfied with what they are getting, there is no need to offer an alternative since that's the purpose of alternatives in the first place.

The same is true of the Green Goblin design, and DeHaan barely counts because that film wasn't going for a more 616 Goblin in the first place.
    The same could be said of the Raimi suit.

BANNED

One thing no one's pointed out, Dafoe's new look is very much like the leaked concept art that came a while back.

https://stealthoptional.com/news/no-...n-goblin-look/

Right down to the goofy goggles. So yeah, that leak was legit.

Ultimate Member

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/movies/j...050429470.html

Interesting comments from JK Simmons.

But I wonder why Sony wanted him to change his look.

His original look (with the buzz cut) was perfect. I mean, they even wanted him to shave his mustache!

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    All this talk about the googles hiding his eyes is weird. Like… y’all realize he can easily take them off and might only use them while flying right?

The design is fine. The “beloved” power ranger suit is clearly still there so I don’t know what all the fuss is about. The only real differences is no mask, an additional purple poncho and some silver under armor exposed by the holes in the damaged green armor.
    Even if he barely wears the goggles they're not really very Norman or Goblin-y (even though Harry had them, but still). It just seems like they could have done something more notable if they were going to give him a new look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/movies/j...050429470.html

Interesting comments from JK Simmons.

But I wonder why Sony wanted him to change his look.

His original look (with the buzz cut) was perfect. I mean, they even wanted him to shave his mustache!
    A few MCU Spider-Man choices seem to be changes for the sake of changes. Maybe they wanted him to look more like Alex Jones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A few MCU Spider-Man choices seem to be changes for the sake of changes. Maybe they wanted him to look more like Alex Jones.
    If that was the intention, then he doesn't look like Alex Jones (leaving aside that Alex Jones is not a good referent for Jameson).

In general, (white) male news anchors rarely appear bald anymore. The idea is to project a kind of "Hollywood for ugly people" kinda glamor, and even then Simmons/Jameson were they news casters would be considered "too ugly for TV" by those standards.

So on the basis of "realism" or "contemporary update" it's still stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    It's Dafoe's imitation of Ock in the SM2 gag reel all over again.

Wonder why the original suit was in the previous images. Maybe he gets to wear both?
    My guess is: the original suit gets damaged so he scavenges some new tech for the final battle. There is a theory that the goggles are Ock's. So maybe Ock redeems himself again in this movie but dies fighting Goblin and the other villains (hence why we see him get thrown out of the building in an explosion in the trailer), then Goblin takes his goggles and creates a new makeshift costume from left over tech for the final battle.

Anyway, I will wait and see how it looks in the movie. So far the look doesn't bother me since this isn't even *the* MCU Goblin, it's a fanservice extravangza with guest stars from previous Spider-Man movies.

They're also using the de-aging technology to make everyone look younger.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    My guess is: the original suit gets damaged so he scavenges some new tech for the final battle. There is a theory that the goggles are Ock's. So maybe Ock redeems himself again in this movie but dies fighting Goblin and the other villains (hence why we see him get thrown out of the building in an explosion in the trailer), then Goblin takes his goggles and creates a new makeshift costume from left over tech for the final battle.

Anyway, I will wait and see how it looks in the movie. So far the look doesn't bother me since this isn't even *the* MCU Goblin, it's a fanservice extravangza with guest stars from previous Spider-Man movies.
    I hope Otto doesn't bite it before he gets to see his Peter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Huh, this might be the first time he's that much of a pain in Spidey's ass, 'cause "dangerous Mysterio" either did stuff in an alternate universe (Old Man Logan), or another hero (Guardian Devil, where he killed himself after tormenting Daredevil).
    Yep, I can't recall him ever doing something that actually changed Peter's life in a profound way. Which is why I'm slightly disappointed with them bringing back all the A-listers for NWH.

Don't bet on that, just to be safe .
    Yeah, good point. There is already a screen shot of Electro with Stark's arc reactor.

Chameleon would make a good villain for the new Spider-Man cartoon they're doing that's set before CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he's good at depicting Peter's vulnerability and resolve, but the movies are very inconsistent with his Spider-Man "voice" and he's not as sassy as he needs to be in my opinion. He comes off more as a babbler than a quipper and the stakes of the final fights always make it so he has to be pretty quiet and serious.
    Not being too quippy enough was a problem with Tobey's Spider-Man. Not with Andrew or Holland's. We can agree to disagree on this, I think Holland mostly nails Peter quipping to cope with overwhelming situations.

If the director was going to cite influences from Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane and Ultimate than:

A. Zendaya's character should've been Peter's only confidante from the get-go.

B. Zendaya should've played a more traditional Mary Jane that Peter ends up pining after and having a slow-burn romance like SMLMJ.
    They can't go with Zendaya's MJ as Peter's confidant since the Amazing Spider-Man movies already gave Ultimate MJ's role to Gwen.

I think they should have either confirmed her as Mary Jane (if not in Homecoming then in FFH) or had her as Liz Allen just to maintain the Ditko influence. Maybe Zendaya as 'Liz Allen' while Laura Harrier was Sally Avril/Toomes?

I think writing out Liz 'Toomes' was a mistake since Peter exposing her father and effectively derailing her life was a potentially rich source of conflict. I'm not sure why 'Liz' and 'MJ' had to be separate characters in the movie.

So if I had any power (and I know I'm saying this with all the benefit of hindsight):

- I would replace Ned Leeds with either Kong or a canonical best friend from the comics like Randy Robertson. I'm learning more towards the latter. Maybe Randy was a part of Flash's clique picking on Peter but he defects and befriends Peter. He goes to Peter's house because Peter agrees to tutor him, Aunt May lets him into Peter's room and thus he inadvertently discovers Peter's identity the same way Ned did in Homecoming. They become closer. Thus the story arc is him earning the role of Peter's best friend rather than just having Peter with a best friend from the start.

- Make the actor for Brad Flash Thompson instead. Also keep the 'Flash as a geek who bullies other geeks he sees as a rival' element.

-Combine Liz and MJ from the movie into one character played by whichever actress had the most chemistry with Tom Holland. Either definitively say she's Mary Jane or just have her a different character like maybe Liz Allen. I lean towards Liz since that would give Peter a distinct love interest for each trilogy but Zendaya has the chops to pull off comic accurate MJ. Her father could have been working with Toomes or Toomes was her step dad. Thus her attitude in the first movie is because she knew her Dad's secret but was keeping it to herself which gives her something in common with Peter, in terms of keeping secrets. Then the second movie is about her learning/figuring out Peter's identity and working through their issues before they hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Not being too quippy enough was a problem with Tobey's Spider-Man. Not with Andrew or Holland's. We can agree to disagree on this, I think Holland mostly nails Peter quipping to cope with overwhelming situations.
    People forget Tobey quipped because he couldn't nail the delivery like Garfield did and wasn't a motormouth. Holland's Peter doesn't really quip when he's overwhelmed, he either babbles or just doesn't talk. It's only when he's overconfident that he quips and that very rarely actually happens in the movies because he's constantly overwhelmed or dealing with stuff that makes him get serious.

He's never really quipped like, say, Ultimate Peter does.
    They can't go with Zendaya's MJ as Peter's confidant since the Amazing Spider-Man movies already gave Ultimate MJ's role to Gwen.

I think they should have either confirmed her as Mary Jane (if not in Homecoming then in FFH) or had her as Liz Allen just to maintain the Ditko influence. Maybe Zendaya as 'Liz Allen' while Laura Harrier was Sally Avril/Toomes?

I think writing out Liz 'Toomes' was a mistake since Peter exposing her father and effectively derailing her life was a potentially rich source of conflict. I'm not sure why 'Liz' and 'MJ' had to be separate characters in the movie.

So if I had any power (and I know I'm saying this with all the benefit of hindsight):

- I would replace Ned Leeds with either Kong or a canonical best friend from the comics like Randy Robertson. I'm learning more towards the latter. Maybe Randy was a part of Flash's clique picking on Peter but he defects and befriends Peter. He goes to Peter's house because Peter agrees to tutor him, Aunt May lets him into Peter's room and thus he inadvertently discovers Peter's identity the same way Ned did in Homecoming. They become closer. Thus the story arc is him earning the role of Peter's best friend rather than just having Peter with a best friend from the start.

- Make the actor for Brad Flash Thompson instead. Also keep the 'Flash as a geek who bullies other geeks he sees as a rival' element.

-Combine Liz and MJ from the movie into one character played by whichever actress had the most chemistry with Tom Holland. Either definitively say she's Mary Jane or just have her a different character like maybe Liz Allen. I lean towards Liz since that would give Peter a distinct love interest for each trilogy but Zendaya has the chops to pull off comic accurate MJ. Her father could have been working with Toomes or Toomes was her step dad. Thus her attitude in the first movie is because she knew her Dad's secret but was keeping it to herself which gives her something in common with Peter, in terms of keeping secrets. Then the second movie is about her learning/figuring out Peter's identity and working through their issues before they hook up.
    Homecoming had a lot of problems with not putting weight behind the consequences to Peter as Spider-Man. Like, he basically screws with Liz the entire movie and didn't really seem to feel that bad about it.

I would've rather they used Kong or Randy because at least they're Peter characters, not like Ganke.

Remy Hii would've been a more convincing Flash than what we got.