Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Let's gooooo I'm hyped. Spidey/Strange team-up is gonna be a blast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I hope that the issue of his identity is not immediately solved in the first 10 minutes of the movie. that would be annoying.

I wonder if Peter will be arrested and put on trial.

No actual villain has been announced, despite the alleged involvement of Alfred Molina and Jamie Foxx. This is distressing.
    There's apparently some courtroom scenes in the movie.

I just don't want him to have a public identity by the end of the movie.

Mighty Member

I hope that the issue of his identity is not immediately solved in the first 10 minutes of the movie. that would be annoying.

I wonder if Peter will be arrested and put on trial.

No actual villain has been announced, despite the alleged involvement of Alfred Molina and Jamie Foxx. This is distressing.
    You know who WON'T be in trouble? The company that gave him the technology that caused tons of collateral damage in the first place. Stark Industries should be sued into oblivion after that Mysterio incident in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You know who WON'T be in trouble? The company that gave him the technology that caused tons of collateral damage in the first place. Stark Industries should be sued into oblivion after that Mysterio incident in Europe.
    At this point Peter should be resentful for all of Tony's messes he's had to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    At this point Peter should be resentful for all of Tony's messes he's had to clean up.

BANNED

In a Raimi written era, this should be true. However MCU Spiderman is written to look up to Tony as a perfect iconic figure, so he probably thinks it is an honour to clean up the mess.

BANNED

What messes?
    Vulture didn't need to become a thief, he chose that life for himself, and judging by the nice house he was leaving in he stopped being strapped for cash long before Peter came onto the scene, and Mysterio was a self centered unstable person just waiting to snap you can't logically blame Tony for how they ended up

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    What messes?
    Vulture didn't need to become a thief, he chose that life for himself, and judging by the nice house he was leaving in he stopped being strapped for cash long before Peter came onto the scene, and Mysterio was a self centered unstable person just waiting to snap you can't logically blame Tony for how they ended up
    You can definitely blame Tony for putting a target on Peter's back for Mysterio in the first place. Quentin was unstable yes, but can you really say that he would have went to mess with Peter directly if Tony gave E.D.I.T.H to S.H.I.E.L.D, Pepper, Steve, or hell, kept them within Stark Industries? Peter inserted himself in dealing with Toomes, Tony pretty much pushed Mysterio on to Peter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    In a Raimi written era, this should be true. However MCU Spiderman is written to look up to Tony as a perfect iconic figure, so he probably thinks it is an honour to clean up the mess.
    Honestly, as early as the Webb films this wouldn't have been an issue. An old quote from Andrew Garfield resurfaced recently where he talked about how Peter Parker isn't the type to look up to someone like Tony Stark, and I think he is right about that.

To my knowledge, the MCU version and the Disney XD version are literally the only versions to portray Spider-Man in this way.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-26-2021 at 02:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    You can definitely blame Tony for putting a target on Peter's back for Mysterio in the first place. Quentin was unstable yes, but can you really say that he would have went to mess with Peter directly if Tony gave E.D.I.T.H to S.H.I.E.L.D, Pepper, Steve, or hell, kept them within Stark Industries? Peter inserted himself in dealing with Toomes, Tony pretty much pushed Mysterio on to Peter.
    So I should blame Tony for not anticipating that someone he fired about at least 7/8 years ago in-universe would masquerade as a superhero, and target Peter for something he would only get in the event of Tony's death, which only happened because Thanos unexpectedly time jumped from the past forcing Tony to sacrifice himself?
    There's nothing about this Tony could have possibly thought was gonna happen, ideally if past Thanos never attacked Tony likely wouldn't have passed off Edith until Peter was at least out of his teens and well into his 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Honestly, as early as the Webb films this wouldn't have been an issue. An old quote from Andrew Garfield resurfaced recently where he talked about how Peter Parker isn't the type to look up to someone like Tony Stark, and I think he is right about that.

To my knowledge, the MCU version and the Disney XD version are literally the only versions to portray Spider-Man in this way.
    It's not in any way a new thing for Peter to look up to and admire brilliant scientists, even if he wasn't already a world saving superhero Tony's technological breakthroughs are enough for him to get Peter's attention.
    Last edited by Jewel Runner; 02-26-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Mighty Member

So I should blame Tony for not anticipating that someone he fired about at least 7/8 years ago in-universe would masquerade as a superhero, and target Peter for something he would only get in the event of Tony's death, which only happened because Thanos unexpectedly time jumped from the past forcing Tony to sacrifice himself?
    There's nothing about this Tony could have possibly thought was gonna happen, ideally if past Thanos never attacked Tony likely wouldn't have passed off Edith until Peter was at least out of his teens and well into his 20s.
    Specifically Mysterio, is one thing, but Tony had to anticipate SOMEONE coming after him for his tech on the account that it has happened several times prior to Thanos showing up. Heck Tony has even gained foes as an Avenger who would target anything having to do with the team (and their very public alter egos). Peter doesn't have the resources to deal with these nut jobs like Tony did. Did Tony forget to give Peter a portion of Stark Industries and a small fortune to give him the resources to protect himself from these various threats who target Stark and his technology when he's well into his 20's?
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 02-26-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Maybe it'll end like up Iron Man 1 with Peter just coming out and saying hes Spider-Man

The Disney XD Spider-Men at least didn't idolize or latch onto him in the same way the MCU Spider-Man did.

Astonishing Member

It's not in any way a new thing for Peter to look up to and admire brilliant scientists, even if he wasn't already a world saving superhero Tony's technological breakthroughs are enough for him to get Peter's attention.
    We can use the bolded part to justify Peter admiring any scientist from Marvel, including Norman Osborn.

Also, the issue isn't simple admiration but blind admiration. Even if something like that can be justified with Spider-Man, he never has his T'Challa moment where he finally stops putting his idols on a pedestal.

The Disney XD Spider-Men at least didn't idolize or latch onto him in the same way the MCU Spider-Man did.
    Not with Iron Man specifically, but the cartoon still kinda turns him into a sidekick. I mean, it's essentially the Young Justice premise but with Fury and SHIELD instead of Batman and the Justice League.

Also, attitude-wise, I remember him still being kinda in awe of Fury and the adult Avengers.

Still, at least the cartoon is obscure and doesn't have the level of credibility the MCU has. It's easy to not fret about it, but when the MCU Spider-Man goes there? Yikes.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-26-2021 at 05:39 PM.

BANNED

We can use the bolded part to justify Peter admiring any scientist from Marvel, including Norman Osborn.
    Or himself...Peter's entire origin is about the fact that being brilliant and intelligent doesn't mean you are above making mistakes or dodging responsibility, or the fact that innocent people pay the price for that. Peter's past that beat in his character arc.

As a side-bar, this always irked me with adaptations that usually frame some mentor figure for Peter to aspire to as a father figure, so that they can hit the beat about power-and-responsibility by having the mentor turn evil or revealed to have feet of clay as with Molina's Ock in Spider-Man 2 (which is probably the start of Peter "shopping for substitute daddies" trope though that was only there for a few scenes at the start), then Curt Connors in TASM-1, then the PS4 game, and Tony Stark in the MCU.

616 Spider-Man comics never really did those kind of arcs because it was redundant, the character already has that guilt issue he's grappling with, you don't need to redo that all the time because it's boring, and it's stupid and hampers your character.

Also, the issue isn't simple admiration but blind admiration. Even if something like that can be justified with Spider-Man, he never has his T'Challa moment where he finally stops putting his idols on a pedestal.
    It's because of casting. Robert Downey Jr. is too big a star for someone as lowly as Tom Holland (a character actor with some independent movies and who, even in his MCU movies, has never carried a movie on his own) to be shown on-screen to challenge him. Tom Holland is fundamentally a character actor, i.e. someone who largely plays off other actors and bounces off them, rather than effectively lead a film entirely on his own presence.

If you look at all the choices made in the MCU movies, it's largely done to ensure that Holland Spidey almost always has a two-hander (i.e. scene with him and another actor) bouncing off one another character. Why does Spider-Man have an AI companion to interact with? Well the director Jon Watts said that he wanted to simulate the comics where Peter narrates on panel and he found this a way to do that (why he didn't use a voiceover, which literally does just that, is beyond me), but the actual answer is to ensure that Tom Holland is always in that "aw shucks whiny-explainy mode" of gushing and excitement before someone with more knowledge. It's a way to ensure the character is constantly in a state of immaturity. All the big character scenes in the MCU movies has Holland having on-screen interactions with established actors and character actors -- so it's Holland and RDJ, Holland and Michael Keaton, Holland and Gyllenhaal, Holland and Favreau, Holland and Samuel L. Jackson* -- and so on and so forth. Next movie will likely have Holland and JK Simmons (i.e. Whiplash II), Holland and Cumberbatch, and Holland and whoever the villain will be.

* (This isn't to you, Kaitou, but to anyone else don't @me that Fury in FFH is a Skrull...not important, what we see on screen is the actual Samuel L. Jackson browbeating the actual Tom Holland).