Page 64 of 136 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

But yeah but the height is my only complaint for Tom Spidey.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    More leaks on the Internet.

spoilers:
    Holland Peter is shot with some green grease by probably Mysterio's fan, wears Strange's cape and jumps through unfinished Electro's CGI lightning.
    end of spoilers

Trailer #2 should arrive soon, just like it was with trailer #1.
    Still no leaks about Tobey and Andrew. Might make one suspect that those who have been clinging to the belief they’re in it, are due for some major disappointment. Surely by the second trailer that major selling-point would’ve been teased.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Still no leaks about Tobey and Andrew. Might make one suspect that those who have been clinging to the belief they’re in it, are due for some major disappointment. Surely by the second trailer that major selling-point would’ve been teased.
    I think they'll hold that close to the vest for as long as humanly possible.

BANNED

The movie will be a disappointment some way or another. Having Tobey or Andrew but killing them off in the background would confirm they're in the movie for sure, but it wouldn't be what people wanted certainly. Not saying that might or might not happen.

But the fact is that people who build a movie in their minds, where Tobey and/or Andrew are somehow going to usurp the film from being Tom Holland's third film (which metaphorically the marketing has already done via all the crossover teases anyway), will not be satisfied with anything less than say...Holland getting whacked in the first half and Andrew and Tobey taking over, with Bully Maguire somehow winning everything with a dance-off. That movie might please the folks at reddit but it's not gonna be the one that Sony/Marvel will invest in.

Astonishing Member

Real talk, on the off-chance that Tobey and Andrew aren't in this, Sony and Disney deserve all the hate coming, lol.

You don't tease the multiverse, bring back old villains, let a rumor get this big, let movie theatres across the country put up posters of Maguire and Garfield cuz you didn't want to release your own... and not do any damage control about that.

It's obviously the main selling point by now. Let's face it, as much as people love Dafoe and Molina, they weren't the reason that first trailer got more views than the Endgame trailer. Tobey and Andrew were the main reason for that. To the viewer, the villains are just stand-in representations of those two coming back.

It would be the backlash from the Mandarin Twist multiplied by infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    But the fact is that people who build a movie in their minds, where Tobey and/or Andrew are somehow going to usurp the film from being Tom Holland's third film (which metaphorically the marketing has already done via all the crossover teases anyway), will not be satisfied with anything less than say...Holland getting whacked in the first half and Andrew and Tobey taking over, with Bully Maguire somehow winning everything with a dance-off. That movie might please the folks at reddit but it's not gonna be the one that Sony/Marvel will invest in.
    I just realized this is why I've been in such an upbeat mood about people's responses to this film. Seeing people more hyped for Tobey and Andrew than for Holland is a sign that the toxic traits in Holland's Spidey haven't taken over the character yet. It's the opposite of the lead-up into Homecoming and Far From Home when they were just marketing Late-Stage Capitalism Spider-Man with a straight face and audiences were eating it up. It feels like a small victory for us Spider-fans.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 10-30-2021 at 03:08 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Real talk, on the off-chance that Tobey and Andrew aren't in this, Sony and Disney deserve all the hate coming, lol.
    Deserve has nothing to do with it, I think. I mean to use an example from video-games, did Kojima deserve to be hated for MGS-2 where he promised Solid Snake but had most of the game with Raiden?

You don't tease the multiverse, bring back old villains, let a rumor get this big, let movie theatres across the country put up posters of Maguire and Garfield cuz you didn't want to release your own... and not do any damage control about that.
    True. I do think that it's far more likely Garfield/Maguire are in this movie than they are not. But it wouldn't upset me if Maguire and Garfield are no-shows. I generally have no desire for a follow-up, just as I had no desire to see the Star Wars actors after ROTJ.

So I wouldn't hold it against the movie if they are absent. I'd hold it if they gratuitously show them or do cheap jokes and gags and so on. I'd rather no appearance than bad appearance.

Let's face it, as much as people love Dafoe and Molina, they weren't the reason that first trailer got more views than the Endgame trailer.
    Well Dafoe is one of my favorite actors, have seen over 30 movies in which he's in (both the famous ones and the ultra-obscure ones), and Spider-Man 1 is the first movie of his I saw. So for me having him back as the Green Goblin would be emotional for me...far more than having Michael Keaton come back as Batman or as Vulture or whatever, or for that matter more than Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

It would be the backlash from the Mandarin Twist multiplied by infinity.
    The backlash from the Mandarin Twist was largely among some comics fans (i.e. negligible). General fans didn't mind, and loved Ben Kingsley in that movie. He's legit one of the best MCU characters.

I just realized this is why I've been in such an upbeat mood about people's responses to this film. Seeing people more hyped for Tobey and Andrew than for Holland is a sign that the toxic traits in Holland's Spidey haven't taken over the character yet. It's the opposite of the lead-up into Homecoming and Far From Home when they were just marketing Late-Stage Capitalism Spider-Man with a straight face and audiences were eating it up. It feels like a small victory for us Spider-fans.
    Schadenfreude does provide its comforts, it must be said. ITSV also proved that Tom Holland isn't "the" Spider-Man, he's "a" Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Off-topic, but the Mandarin twist was terrible and broke both the momentum and tension of the film. There was an audible and collective groan in the theater when that happened. Unpredictable? Sure, but if Tony suddenly sprouted a second head that would also be unpredictable. It doesn’t make it good. The Mandarin was interesting and different than the generic, corporate competitor/raider archetype villain that had plagued Tony in the first two films (Stane and Hammer). And what do they do? Make Mandarin into a cartoonish soccer hooligan (who has to be the dumbest person alive not to realize how he’s being used), and AGAIN make the main villain a corporate competitor (Killian). Yawn.

BANNED

Off-topic, but the Mandarin twist was terrible and broke both the momentum and tension of the film. There was an audible and collective groan in the theater when that happened.
    Audiences loved it when I saw it in theaters. It brought the house down to see Ben Kingsley let loose and play a total cringe character like that.

Unpredictable? Sure, but if Tony suddenly sprouted a second head that would also be unpredictable. It doesn’t make it good.
    Maybe the world is not ready for Teen Tony, lol.

The Mandarin was interesting and different than the generic, corporate competitor/raider archetype villain that had plagued Tony in the first two films (Stane and Hammer). And what do they do? Make Mandarin into a cartoonish soccer hooligan (who has to be the dumbest person alive not to realize how he’s being used), and AGAIN make the main villain a corporate competitor (Killian). Yawn.
    Mandarin isn't exactly "cartoonish soccer hooligan" he's basically Swinging '60s time-warp. Think Ringo Starr in his cringe nostalgia-sentimental phases.

The Iron Man movies have lousy villains but that's also true for most of Tony's rogues gallery and obviously you can't do Mandarin straight as either an Orientalist or Middle-Eastern villain anymore.

Iron Man 3 did a comedic take on BATMAN BEGINS, where initially Ra's Al Ghul seems to be a wise old Japanese master but then he turns into an Irish dude claiming a title. Same principle but nobody complained about in Batman Begins because people thought Pre-Islamic Arab physician turned immortal alchemist secret society chief and so on, is dated. And because Liam Neeson is a little too in love with his dignity to let loose, whereas Kingsley has more courage.

Then Shang-Chi found a way to make that work with "too good for this" Tony Leung.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-30-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Not sure what theater you saw it in, but we will have to agree to disagree. Myself (and most people I know who have seen it) didn’t go to watch IM 3 to see the cringe, comedic stylings of Ben Kingsley. The trailers and first act had built up this amazing villain (and like you said, the MCU doesn’t have many of them… especially not in 2013) and then jettisoned all that in the dumbest way possible and saddled us with Killian. I like Guy Pearce, but this character was boring, generic and forgettable as far as MCU villains go. It was a stupid creative move. It turns out the film was full of dumb decisions, such as dropping the ‘Demon in a bottle’ sub-plot under pressure from Disney who wants to pretend alcoholism doesn’t exist in their universe.

Anyway, I’m done as I don’t want to derail the thread. Like I said earlier, we will agree to disagree.

EDIT: Also people didn’t complain about Neeson’s character because the character was still badass. Kingsley’s first act interpretation of Mandarin was not some orientalist stereotype either. He was an international terrorist with an undetermined background.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-30-2021 at 06:08 PM.

BANNED

Not sure what theater you saw it in, but we will have to agree to disagree. Myself (and most people I know who have seen it) didn’t go to watch IM 3 to see the cringe, comedic stylings of Ben Kingsley. The trailers and first act had built up this amazing villain (and like you said, the MCU doesn’t have many of them… especially not in 2013) and then jettisoned all that in the dumbest way possible and saddled us with Killian. I like Guy Pearce, but this character was boring, generic and forgettable as far as MCU villains go. It was a stupid creative move. It turns out the film was full of dumb decisions, such as dropping the ‘Demon in a bottle’ sub-plot under pressure from Disney who wants to pretend alcoholism doesn’t exist in their universe.

Anyway, I’m done as I don’t want to derail the thread. Like I said earlier, we will agree to disagree.

EDIT: Also people didn’t complain about Neeson’s character because the character was still badass. Kingsley’s first act interpretation of Mandarin was not some orientalist stereotype either. He was an international terrorist with an undetermined background.
    I don't think either of us are wrong. I guess sometimes you agree with the film or you don't.

Killian was a waste of what should've been an AIM story.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Take it as the grain of salt, but the recent leak shows the

spoilers:
    possible look on Tobey and Andrew's Spidey costume as well as Green Goblin's Costume.

They're mostly same from the previous movies, except Goblin's seem to be a lot more damaged and bruised.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpiderMan...51704603545604

end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

spoilers:
    possible look on Tobey and Andrew's Spidey costume as well as Green Goblin's Costume.

They're mostly same from the previous movies, except Goblin's seem to be a lot more damaged and bruised.

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    It looks like Ryan Meinerding took inspiration from some of the original Goblin designs from Spider-Man 1. Hopefully, Norman will still wear the Goblin mask.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I could totally live with that GG design. It's miles better than the "untarnished" green suit from the original Raimi movie. It's really interesting how just a little damage, color and the sash/pouch can liven up an otherwise really boring design. Of course, the real question is going to be the mask. If they bring back the Power Ranger helmet I'll laugh. I'd love to see them do something closer to the original animatronic concept from before Dafoe was cast, but that might be TOO comic accurate and out there. Not to mention harsh people's nostalgia buzz (though what there is to be nostalgic about where the film GG suit is concerned is beyond me). Maybe the best choice is just to leave Dafoe maskless and let his delightful sneer do the work? It still boggles my mind that they cast an actor who can do such amazing work with his expressions and then covered it with that hideous static helmet.

Still, I like what I see here. It's a definite improvement, overall.

I'm still hoping that since they have apparently confirmed Lizard is back that they fix the debacle that was Sony's Lizard design. Menacing, not goofy, guys. Come on.

As much as I would love for this film to give us a great Gobby showing, more Molina Ock, fix Electro and Lizard, and do literally anything interesting with Sandman I'm still keeping my hype down on this one until I see it. Could be awesome, could be a trainwreck.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    spoilers:
    I could totally live with that GG design. It's miles better than the "untarnished" green suit from the original Raimi movie. It's really interesting how just a little damage, color and the sash/pouch can liven up an otherwise really boring design. Of course, the real question is going to be the mask. If they bring back the Power Ranger helmet I'll laugh. I'd love to see them do something closer to the original animatronic concept from before Dafoe was cast, but that might be TOO comic accurate and out there. Not to mention harsh people's nostalgia buzz (though what there is to be nostalgic about where the film GG suit is concerned is beyond me). Maybe the best choice is just to leave Dafoe maskless and let his delightful sneer do the work? It still boggles my mind that they cast an actor who can do such amazing work with his expressions and then covered it with that hideous static helmet.

Still, I like what I see here. It's a definite improvement, overall.

I'm still hoping that since they have apparently confirmed Lizard is back that they fix the debacle that was Sony's Lizard design. Menacing, not goofy, guys. Come on.

As much as I would love for this film to give us a great Gobby showing, more Molina Ock, fix Electro and Lizard, and do literally anything interesting with Sandman I'm still keeping my hype down on this one until I see it. Could be awesome, could be a trainwreck.
    end of spoilers
    where was these level of leaks for Infinity War and Endgame lol.

spoilers:
    Guessing no mask for Dafoe. never really have that much of a hatred for it like most people. Honestly his suit just needs more purple to be honest. I do too hope the cgi will change for lizard and sandman more so lizard. Make him look less human
    end of spoilers
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy