Page 72 of 136 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2039

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I find it refreshing he finally has villains that have beef with Spider-Man and not Iron Man, even if the beef in this case is one-sided on the villains' part. I would honestly take that over another MCU version that was Stark-created. Plus, it's cool to see Dafoe, Molina, and Foxx again.

I do think the Green Goblin being in this hurts our chances of getting an MCU Green Goblin. If they ever bring in MCU Norman, they might just make him Iron Patriot, which is lame.
    It's a step up, sure, but I was really hoping Tom's third film would really see him coming into his own as Spider-Man, rather than just.... inheriting someone else's villains again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    It's a step up, sure, but I was really hoping Tom's third film would really see him coming into his own as Spider-Man, rather than just.... inheriting someone else's villains again.
    It sadly does feel like there was no way for us to get that film. The general vibe I'm getting is that it was between this, another Far From Home-styled film (mix of the Iron Man legacy + another MCU guest-star), or Spider-Man leaving the MCU and having a crossover with Venom.

Hopefully the fourth film is more of a "traditional" Spider-Man film for Holland. His recent comments about how if they ever come back they would do "something different" make it sound like that's what they maybe want to do next.

I'm also guessing his comments about how they would "take a bit of a break" (or something among those lines) means Sony doesn't have to churn out a film every few years under the new Sony/Disney contract.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 11-08-2021 at 04:25 PM.

BANNED

There used to be a time we didn't think Spider-Man's expressive eyes could work in live-action, but the last five films with Spider-Man in it and (to a lesser extent) the Insomniac games have proven us wrong.
    The Insomniac Games aren't a good indicator imo given that you have the choice to change the costume and of course it's all renders anyway. I don't think Spider-Man's expressive eyes work in live-action very well, mostly because the character spends so much time sans mask that we don't get to see much or any of it when it really matters.

Whereas in Raimi, in Spider-Man 1, you did have the guy stay in costume for a lot of the time.

You can totally get away with a more expressive Green Goblin mask in 2021, even if not to the same extent you can get away with it in comics and animation.
    It depends on how they do it, if you want to make it believable you can somehow make it work like a Daft Punk Helmet if you want to stay on the realistic side but that would also look a little too goofy maybe. A little too Speedball in aesthetic.

If the Green Goblin doesn't have a more expressive mask in NWH, it will probably have more to do with continuity reasons. Which is understandable. If this was a new Green Goblin though, I do think Feige and Co. would have tried to bring the comic mask to life the way they brought Spider-Man's moving eyes to life.
    FWIW, I actually do think the movie will have the Raimi and Webb villains initially appearing in their familiar forms but will later develop alternate designs and looks. We've seen hints of that, such as for instance Electro with yellow sparks (in the first trailer) whereas he's still blue sparks in this poster. There was also that photo that released which suggested that Otto would eventually harness Iron Man Nanotech to his arms somehow, since it showed it red and golden. So I think they'll start with the Emerald Green Goblin Suit and eventually present another look.

If nothing else, it makes sense in terms of merchandise right? Two Green Goblin toys rather than simply a legacy Goblin figure, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really wish Holland was getting his own versions of the main Spider-Man villains.
    When you don't get to carry your movie, the movies will carry you.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    When you don't get to carry your movie, the movies will carry you.
    Yeah, it's such a shame that Holland's solo Spidey movie where he was given villains and character motivations that didn't revolve around Tony Stark was such a flop.

(Wait, what do you mean we haven't had one?)

Astonishing Member

The Insomniac Games aren't a good indicator imo given that you have the choice to change the costume and of course it's all renders anyway. I don't think Spider-Man's expressive eyes work in live-action very well, mostly because the character spends so much time sans mask that we don't get to see much or any of it when it really matters.

Whereas in Raimi, in Spider-Man 1, you did have the guy stay in costume for a lot of the time.
    IMO, it works in the MCU whenever they do show it. As for the Insomniac games, video games are admittedly not a perfect example since they're not live-action. At the same time, games like Insomniac's Spider-Man and the Arkham games lack the cartoonish touch that is found in comics and animation. The way Peter's lenses move in the Insomniac game can be done well in live-action, and arguably has been done well already in the MCU.

It depends on how they do it, if you want to make it believable you can somehow make it work like a Daft Punk Helmet if you want to stay on the realistic side but that would also look a little too goofy maybe. A little too Speedball in aesthetic.
    The mask is the trickiest part as far as goofiness goes. Everything else can be done, I think. The 616 Green Goblin has a lot of alternate not-goofy suits from the neck down.

FWIW, I actually do think the movie will have the Raimi and Webb villains initially appearing in their familiar forms but will later develop alternate designs and looks. We've seen hints of that, such as for instance Electro with yellow sparks (in the first trailer) whereas he's still blue sparks in this poster. There was also that photo that released which suggested that Otto would eventually harness Iron Man Nanotech to his arms somehow, since it showed it red and golden. So I think they'll start with the Emerald Green Goblin Suit and eventually present another look.

If nothing else, it makes sense in terms of merchandise right? Two Green Goblin toys rather than simply a legacy Goblin figure, lol.
    This is a great theory, Jack. That would explain how they're all supposedly the same versions but have different wardrobes even though they were pulled from the same universes, supposedly.

I find it refreshing he finally has villains that have beef with Spider-Man and not Iron Man, even if the beef in this case is one-sided on the villains' part. I would honestly take that over another MCU version that was Stark-created. Plus, it's cool to see Dafoe, Molina, and Foxx again.

I do think the Green Goblin being in this hurts our chances of getting an MCU Green Goblin. If they ever bring in MCU Norman, they might just make him Iron Patriot, which is lame.
    It's like the one time we have villains focused purely on Spider-Man, it isn't even their Spider-Man .

I mean, MCU Spidey was pretty expressive in Civil War and to some extent Homecoming, but the whole Superhero unmasking thing is a genre-wide problem.

BANNED

I mean, MCU Spidey was pretty expressive in Civil War and to some extent Homecoming, but the whole Superhero unmasking thing is a genre-wide problem.
    Deadpool was like an exception of seeing a character in mask more than without mask but generally speaking superhero movies are a bunch of fakes who dodge the problem of having masked characters rather than diving down the deep end.

Have the actor act with the mask and go faceless, you cowards. George Lucas made an audiovisual puppet like Darth Vader into an expressive character in the OT. Likewise, actors have performed under prosthetics and heavy makeup all the time. Edward Norton gave a brilliant performance in KINGDOM OF HEAVEN as the Leper King Baldwin. There are numerous other examples from Boris Karloff's Frankenstein Monster to John Hurt's Elephant Man. So it's not like this is a new problem.

One thing I like about the Goblin Helmet in Spider-Man 1 is that it actually allowed Dafoe to act with that outfit and he actually did do a lot of his stunts and movements, and you can actually see him in a lot of the scenes (like that weird rooftop scene where Goblin and Spider-Man have this conversation where he kidnaps him from the Bugle...the one where Goblin gives Spider-Man a dope slap).

Astonishing Member

Now that you mention it, Deadpool is another good example of how Spider-Man's expressive eyes can work in live-action.

Astonishing Member

If I were in charge, I'd simply tell them to make a Green Goblin costume that doesn't look like crap.

BANNED

Now that you mention it, Deadpool is another good example of how Spider-Man's expressive eyes can work in live-action.
    It only counts if you keep the actor under the mask and don't have him do nonsense train-jesus scenes like in SM-2.

I will say that I personally prefer the actors wear static masks and suggest everything via body language. Do it well enough and the audience will project the expressions and emotions behind the mask. That's how Darth Vader got to be so big after all.

Like in the upside-down kiss in SM-1 that was Tobey Maguire in that outfit hanging upside down and you can tell even from the film that it's him. And that moment would lose a great deal if that mask was expressive.

Acting with a mask or wearing make-up and suggesting stuff via body language and nuanced details can be done and has been done throughout film history and even before. I mean theater in ancient greece was all done by actors wearing masks. So in a way a superhero costume could have actors going back to their roots.

And besides, the producers need to get into the habit because Doctor Doom's around the corner and there's no mask-dodging there.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 11-08-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Am I the only one who thinks the CW/Homecoming mask was fairly expressive? Like, his eyes moved and popped out like they do in the comics. Like remember that scene when he starts sensing Ant-Man is about to attack him or when he's amazed at Bucky's arm. It was fairly expressive. I guess it was less the case in FFH but he only had a real Spider-Man mask at the end of the movie.

I mean, I'm a Kamen Rider fan so I know how important and effective the actual acting in a non-expressive suit can be, but also technology has come a long way since the early days.

This reminds me of The Mandalorian where Pedro Pascal had to be convinced (although I'm not sure if this is true or just Grace Randolph nonsense) to play a character that had his face covered for 98% of the series entire runtime.

There's two leaked photos out there that seem to be the real deal and are THE photos. Avoiding em if you wanna avoid em is gonna be hard from here on out!

BANNED

This reminds me of The Mandalorian where Pedro Pascal had to be convinced (although I'm not sure if this is true or just Grace Randolph nonsense) to play a character that had his face covered for 98% of the series entire runtime.
    It's not like the most famous character of Star Wars has a mask and costume that hides the actor(s) faces, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    There's two leaked photos out there that seem to be the real deal and are THE photos. Avoiding em if you wanna avoid em is gonna be hard from here on out!
    It's on twitter. Will say that if these two are fakes, they are the most convincing yet. I think at the least one of them looks legit, while the other, just by eyeballing it, I think it looks a little sus.

Mighty Member

It's not like the most famous character of Star Wars has a mask and costume that hides the actor(s) faces, lol.

It's on twitter. Will say that if these two are fakes, they are the most convincing yet. I think at the least one of them looks legit, while the other, just by eyeballing it, I think it looks a little sus.
    spoilers:
    The shot with Cox is almost certainly fake. The chair he is sitting in casts a shadow on the floor, but he doesn't. It's either a really oddly lit scene or it's photoshop.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    spoilers:
    The shot with Cox is almost certainly fake. The chair he is sitting in casts a shadow on the floor, but he doesn't. It's either a really oddly lit scene or it's photoshop.
    end of spoilers
    We see May's apartment in the trailer that's out there from a different part of the room and the bookcase setup in that photo looks identical.