Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Well they already sort of did do a gritty more adult version of Scooby doo in comic book form a few years ago. From what I heard it was decent. But they are doing a new adult animated series for HBO MAX ( I think) that just features Velma and her origin story before meeting the rest of the gang. Mindy Kaling is producing and doing the voice. Not really sure anyone was asking for a Velma origin story (let alone an adult themed one) but we will see how it goes LOL.
    I'm apprehensive. I think it would be nice if this was maybe at Venture Brothers level of quality and care with a queer reading of the character. The last part I can normally take or leave but I think it's the only thing that justifies the adult cartoon approach to Velma

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Dexter's Lab- bullied teen science murders his classmates with different experiments.

Paw Patrol- Think Judge Dredd style where these dogs murder everyone who breaks the law
    Dexter wouldn't commit murder - you're thinking of a different Dexter.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I'm apprehensive. I think it would be nice if this was maybe at Venture Brothers level of quality and care with a queer reading of the character. The last part I can normally take or leave but I think it's the only thing that justifies the adult cartoon approach to Velma
    Why a queer reading of the character?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why a queer reading of the character?
    Velma is the Scooby-Doo character with the most focus on a queer reading of her character. In general, that's the only interpretation I can think of that this show might gain from being an adult show (not that queer people are inherently more adult or inappropriate for kids, but that the networks would be more likely to give a queer reading of Velma the go ahead in an adult show than they would a show targeted at children

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Johnny Bravo
    Have Chris Hemsworth play him in a R rated comedy. This clueless toxic male in a PC world.
    ^^^Such a great idea.

Gravity Falls picking up w. the twins as young adults, back in town for a new mystery (and mysteries) would be my choice. See all the supporting characters 8-10 years older and what they’re up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Velma is the Scooby-Doo character with the most focus on a queer reading of her character. In general, that's the only interpretation I can think of that this show might gain from being an adult show (not that queer people are inherently more adult or inappropriate for kids, but that the networks would be more likely to give a queer reading of Velma the go ahead in an adult show than they would a show targeted at children
    But why is there a focus on a queer reading of her character?

(Also disagree that that networks are more likely to give lgbtq characters the go ahead because a show is "adult" - with more representation in sitcoms and such, you can do it these days in more family friendly settings without the old hangups.)

(Also disagree that that networks are more likely to give lgbtq characters the go ahead because a show is "adult" - with more representation in sitcoms and such, you can do it these days in more family friendly settings without the old hangups.)
    The old hangups aren't 100% gone.

Invincible Member

It's an inference that adult former fans of the show have had for years...Shaggy and Scooby are stoners and Velma is probably gay. Most parodies of Scooby Doo include a nod to at least one if not both of these theories.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's an inference that adult former fans of the show have had for years...Shaggy and Scooby are stoners and Velma is probably gay. Most parodies of Scooby Doo include a nod to at least one if not both of these theories.
    Yeah, but there is zero reason to appease their theories, or change things around to appease those theories.

BANNED

Frankly making Velma a lesbian always felt stereotypical to me, like I'm not saying she can't be a lesbian, it just feels very predictable, like when a group has multiple girls it'll always the girl who's the least conventionally feminine who people peg as gay, and it kind of sends a message about what kind of girls people expect to be straight and what kind of girls are expected to be gay.
    Like I rarely see anything where the girly girl who's into fashion and makeup is the one who turns out to be gay.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Johnny Bravo
    Have Chris Hemsworth play him in a R rated comedy. This clueless toxic male in a PC world.
    A brilliant idea, very inspired casting. Would love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    Frankly making Velma a lesbian always felt stereotypical to me, like I'm not saying she can't be a lesbian, it just feels very predictable, like when a group has multiple girls it'll always the girl who's the least conventionally feminine who people peg as gay, and it kind of sends a message about what kind of girls people expect to be straight and what kind of girls are expected to be gay.
    Like I rarely see anything where the girly girl who's into fashion and makeup is the one who turns out to be gay.
    ^^^agreed.
    I was glad the live action movie(s) showed Velma to be heterosexual.

Now Shaggy and Scooby...they’re def. stoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^agreed.

Now Shaggy and Scooby...they’re def. stoners.
    Good. About time the straights got some representation in media.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Bi people exist

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    And that's fine and good now but historically queer people have had to take what we can get with regards to representation. Just having somebody with the same cultural signifiers that they use to identify each other at a time when we were unable to be out is enough for some people. Velma has been a character and a queer icon for decades when "non-stereotypical" depictions were impossible.