Astonishing Member

Default Avatar: The Last Airbender Franchise To Expand With New Series And Movie

Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Franchise To Expand With Launch Of Nickelodeon’s Avatar Studios, Animated Theatrical Film In The Works

The Avatar: The Last Airbender franchise is set to get even bigger.

Nickelodeon is launching Avatar Studios, a division designed to create original content spanning animated series and movies based on the franchise’s world.

The original creators and executive producers Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko will run the studio as co-chief creative officers, reporting to Ramsey Naito, President, Nickelodeon Animation.

Avatar Studios will produce content for platforms including Paramount+ and Nickelodeon as well as third-party platforms and theatrical releases.

The first project is an animated theatrical film that is set to start production later this year.

Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender, which follows the adventures of the main protagonist Aang and his friends, who must save the world by defeating Fire Lord Ozai and ending the destructive war with the Fire Nation, aired for three seasons between 2005 and 2008.
    Statement from the creators:

”It’s hard to believe it’s been 19 years since we created Avatar: The Last Airbender. But even after all that time, there are still many stories and time periods in Aang’s world that we are eager to bring to life. We are fortunate to have an ever-growing community of passionate fans that enjoys exploring the Avatarverse as much as we do. And with this new Avatar Studios venture we have an unparalleled opportunity to develop our franchise and its storytelling on a vast scale, in myriad exciting ways and mediums. We are exceedingly grateful to Brian Robbins and Ramsey Naito for their enthusiasm and respect for the Avatar property and us as its stewards. From the start, they’ve supported our ambitious plans and created a positive, proactive environment for us. We’re excited to be back at Nickelodeon where Avatar began, doing what we do best in the biggest way possible. We can’t wait to build the great teams and productions to make all of this fantasy a reality.” – Bryan Konietzko & Michael DiMartino
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-25-2021 at 07:30 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Well, it took only 13 years, but Nick is finally doing something to capitalize on the Avatar franchise!

I'm hoping for a new Avatar cartoon. Let's go for a whole cycle.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Sounds good to me. Excited to see what comes from it, I'd be content with an adaptation of the Kyoshi novels.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, it took only 13 years, but Nick is finally doing something to capitalize on the Avatar franchise!
    It took Avatar trending on Netflix for them to remember that it's a cult classic.

Avatar's world building is on par with Star Wars, LOTR and Harry Potter. Hopefully they don't mess this up.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I watched Avatar for the first time last summer. totally loved it!

I'd like to see a continuation of the story with Aang, Katara, Zuko and everybody else.

Incredible Member

avatar/teenage mutant ninja turtles crossover.

make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    avatar/teenage mutant ninja turtles crossover.

make it happen.
    Each Turtle should bend one element - but which one bends which?
    1. Raphael - fire, easiest choice.
    2. Leonardo - either water or air. Air seems like more of a fit for the "zen" leader he tries to have going on, but water might clash more with Raph's fire...
    3. Michelangelo - I want to say earth for some reason...
    4. Donatello - either water or air, whichever one Leo doesn't get.

Splinter doesn't need to bend, Splinter's just a badass.

Konietzko and DiMartino have walked away over creative differences. I hold out little hope that this will be as good as the original series. I fear they will make it very generic.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Konietzko and DiMartino have walked away over creative differences. I hold out little hope that this will be as good as the original series. I fear they will make it very generic.
    No, they walked away from the Netflix live action adaptation. This is something entirely different.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Three new animated films announced. Lauren Montgomery to direct the first one: https://deadline.com/2022/06/three-n...st-1235046035/

Avatar News is claiming that the first movie is set in Kyoshi's time, the second one is about Zuko and the third will be set in Korra's time after her original series ended. These are not confirmed plans however and no other sites like Deadline has corroborated on this and no official announcement has been made.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Three new animated films announced. Lauren Montgomery to direct the first one: https://deadline.com/2022/06/three-n...st-1235046035/

Avatar News is claiming that the first movie is set in Kyoshi's time, the second one is about Zuko and the third will be set in Korra's time after her original series ended. These are not confirmed plans however and no other sites like Deadline has corroborated on this and no official announcement has been made.
    I was kind of hoping for a reunion movie with OG!Team Avatar...but these sound fun .

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Apparently the plan is for yearly releases with the Kyoshi film in 2024 (which I think they have suggested is set after her two novels), the Zuko film in 2025 and the Korra film in 2026.