Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default GAYEST songs that aren't actually about gay?

The Jackson's Can You feel it? video is an obvious reflection of their Jehovah's beliefs . It often comes up on Australian Gay pride night on a popular music video show and is apparently a popular marching tune. Then there's that Rainbow bridge over San Francisco... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrKZNqIR2U0

(Ooo) Heaven is a place on Earth. Was that song ever the same after Black Mirror : San Junipero?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdp-Gg7e2vc

others?

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I'm not sure I'm following the meaning of your post.

Are you asking for songs that have nothing to do about being gay, but were embraced by the LGBTQI community??

You mean like:

I'm Coming Out - Diana Ross

It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls

I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

Mighty Member

Yeah, songs that became anthems. Also songs/music videos that are pretty camp.
    Like this one :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZvl2aqIyNg

Lot's of ABBA I would assume.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Everything from georgio miroder, love it

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Lot's of ABBA I would assume.
    Oh, definitely "Dancing Queen". LOL

Here's a unique one. It may not fit your theme for the thread, but it fits to me.

Canadian band Nickleback released their CD All the Right Reasons in 2005. The first singles "Photograph" and "Savin' Me" were all over US radio. Unrelated, this was the same time the movie Brokeback Mountain was released, the movie which told the story of two ranchers/cowboys who met, fell in love, went their separate ways, got married, then reconnected, and had a long-distance romance that lasted 16 years after that reconnection.

A fan of both Nickleback and Brokeback Mountain was inspired to make a fan video, using footage from Brokeback, set to Nickleback's "Far Away". The video started to get multiple views on YouTube. By coincidence, the next single released from All the Right Reasons was "Far Away", and an official video was made.

A number of fans of Brokeback Mountain were already familiar with the song due to the fan made video, which has received over 340K views, most of them from 2006 - 2007. I knew a few people who told me that a few times they had either MTV or VH1 on (when they played music videos - LOL) and "Far Away" would start to play, and they'd quickly turn around, expecting to see Jack & Ennis from Brokeback Mountain on their TV screens.

WE ARE FAMILY

Late 70s/early 80s Grace Jones was popular with queer communities at the time(she still is). She would do benefit shows at gay community centers, clubs, ballrooms etc.

They don’t make pop stars like this anymore.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I found this song uplifting for different reasons but with the disco/dance beat plus the lyrics I kept thinking this may be stronger for gay people and imagined it saying you were meant to be born and to be alive like nature intended instead of what certain people may say with the intention to encourage suicide.

Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-28-2021 at 02:24 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
    I can't stop thinking about The Replacements when I hear that song. Orlando Jones leading a troupe of electric slide.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

They definitely went there with the video, but from the lyrics it's not THAT gay:

"How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

The thing about Disco is that it did really come out of the Gay club scene. the music was dominated by Black rhythm and blues, but that wasn't were Disco was from.
    So you had a bunch of white middle class people thinking they were emulating cool urban black culture, when actually they were reflecting the gay club scene.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!