Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Christopher Priest @ Marvel Appreciation 2021

(partially inspired by the new Warner Bros. produced tribute to the late Dwayne McDuffie)

This is a thread to appreciate the work of comic book writer Christopher Priest, for his work done at Marvel Comics:

cpriest.jpg

His most recent work for Marvel is the U.S. Agent mini series, but he is perhaps most famous for the Marvel Knights Black Panther run starting in 1998, and further back in the 1980s (when he was known as Jim Owsley) he was the Spider-Man group editor for much of the decade (and wrote the Gang War storyline and the Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot).

Enduring kudos, Mr. Priest!

I hope 2021-22 finds him finally landing an ongoing series from Marvel-- that is, an ongoing series that actually gets to be ongoing for a while (e.g., DC's Deathstroke).

The J-man

Amazing Member

The guy that intentionally screwed up Tom DeFalco's Hobgoblin plans and then fired him from Amazing Spider-Man? Um, no thanks. Even as a kid reading the issues as they came out I knew whoever was guiding the books was way off, and the problem wasn't DeFalco as I feel the combined Stern/DeFalco run on Amazing is comics at it's finest.

http://lamerciepark.com/legacy/comics/spidey.html

http://www.comicscube.com/2015/08/th...hobgoblin.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    (partially inspired by the new Warner Bros. produced tribute to the late Dwayne McDuffie)

This is a thread to appreciate the work of comic book writer Christopher Priest, for his work done at Marvel Comics:

cpriest.jpg

His most recent work for Marvel is the U.S. Agent mini series, but he is perhaps most famous for the Marvel Knights Black Panther run starting in 1998, and further back in the 1980s (when he was known as Jim Owsley) he was the Spider-Man group editor for much of the decade (and wrote the Gang War storyline and the Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot).

I hope 2021-22 finds him finally landing an ongoing series from Marvel-- that is, an ongoing series that actually gets to be ongoing for a while (e.g., DC's Deathstroke).
    Make sure to read his U.S.Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb450 View Post
    The guy that intentionally screwed up Tom DeFalco's Hobgoblin plans and then fired him from Amazing Spider-Man? Um, no thanks. Even as a kid reading the issues as they came out I knew whoever was guiding the books was way off, and the problem wasn't DeFalco as I feel the combined Stern/DeFalco run on Amazing is comics at it's finest.

http://lamerciepark.com/legacy/comics/spidey.html

http://www.comicscube.com/2015/08/th...hobgoblin.html
    oh, here we go...

people also forget how influential Priest was for Deadpool we know today

oh, here we go...
    just ignore him till a mod deletes the nonsense, no need to quote it
    The J-man

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Priest is who got me into Black Panther and then decades later got me to give a damn about Deathstroke.

He needs more work!

cpriest.jpg

They should allow Christopher Preist to reboot his Xero series for Marvel.

DC did not know what to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Make sure to read his U.S.Agent.
    Already started reading since it was first released, and it's been a BLAST! Thanks, Marvell2100

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Already started reading since it was first released, and it's been a BLAST! Thanks, Marvell2100

No problem. I wish this was an ongoing. I think Priest could have alot of fun with John Walker.

Astonishing Member

The Crew is one of my favorite titles that marvel put out in the early 2000s. Josiah X is such a damn interesting character but marvel has left him in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The Crew is one of my favorite titles that marvel put out in the early 2000s. Josiah X is such a damn interesting character but marvel has left him in limbo.
    Maybe the next US Agent mini can have Josiah as the team-up character. Now that would have sparks..

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Priest is a fantastic writer. His Quantum and Woody, Black Panther and Deathstroke are a particular highlight for me - I hope Marvel gives him another ongoing book or 2 sometime in the near future.

Priest is a very solid writer, and he is really suited for characters like Deathstroke, US Agent or Black Panther.

That said, I don't like him so much on titles that are more "cape comics" like JLA or Spider-Man, as he tends to dismiss super-heroes when they have to face real world problems and "hard men who make hard choices"
    Which would have made him a perfect writer for the Ultimate line. That was a huge missd opportunity.

I'd be curious to read him on Daredevil, once Zadarsky is done.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 02-25-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I wouldn't mind to see him on a book like Wolverine, for example.