Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    What does being Jewish have to do with anything? There's very little in the Golden Age characters that reflect anything about being Jewish. ( A possible exception might be the odd "Brooklyn" character in the kid gang books, but even that is more Brooklyn than Jewish.)
    Superman and Captain America were direct rebuttals to Hitler and the Nazi's with the former spawning the genre in the first place.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The Newsboy Legion. DC has tried to update them, but the name alone would have to be changed.
    Third season of Young Justice provided an update to them. They got gender flipped and were reporting the current happenings on social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Third season of Young Justice provided an update to them. They got gender flipped and were reporting the current happenings on social media.
    And they basically became an all-female Mystery Inc. .

Tawky Tawny. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Regardless,clark kent with glasses ain't funny no more.It's not any kind of satire,or poking fun or commentary on political climate.It's viewed through the prism of seriousness.No matter what physical change happens or they say clark does.if it isn't drastic or dramatic.it won't work.It's that simple.Glasses identity is either absurd/humouress or it makes sense.pick your poison is my opinion.
    Probably depends on your sense of humor, I'd say .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Regardless,clark kent with glasses ain't funny no more.It's not any kind of satire,or poking fun or commentary on political climate.It's viewed through the prism of seriousness.No matter what physical change happens or they say clark does.if it isn't drastic or dramatic.it won't work.It's that simple.Glasses identity is either absurd/humouress or it makes sense.pick your poison is my opinion.
    Glasses concealing Superman's identity works because of how absurd the concept is.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    What does being Jewish have to do with anything? There's very little in the Golden Age characters that reflect anything about being Jewish. ( A possible exception might be the odd "Brooklyn" character in the kid gang books, but even that is more Brooklyn than Jewish.)
    There have been dozens of articles written about the influence of Judaism on Superman, in particular, but I would also argue that it was also significant in the creation of The Spectre, Captain America, and others. The secret identity trope also plays differently when you consider how many Jewish comics creators had changed their names to conceal their Jewish roots.

Like I said, there have been dozens upon dozens of people writing about the connections between Judaism and superheroes, but this recent article would be a good primer. https://www.theguardian.com/culture/...of-superheroes

I wonder if DC will ever phase out some of the sillier-named denizens of Apokalips, especially in light of Darkseid's current 'badass' reputation.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Glasses concealing Superman's identity works because of how absurd the concept is.
    Maybe, once upon a time. But the tone has changed, because it mostly had to change, and the glasses is out of tone...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Maybe, once upon a time. But the tone has changed, because it mostly had to change, and the glasses is out of tone...
    Honestly tone is overrated, some things are just timeless.

Extraordinary Member

I love the glasses concept. Kal-El, if anything, is the underrated actor of the DC Universe. We have all seen movies where an actor gets completely lost within a role.

Being able to switch body posture, speech patterns, facial expressions, hair style, and more is no easy task, just look at Hal Jordan.

Kal could probably do a better Matches Malone than Bruce (and Dick).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    I wonder if DC will ever phase out some of the sillier-named denizens of Apokalips, especially in light of Darkseid's current 'badass' reputation.
    They barely use the denizens of Apokalips , whether or not they have silly names. When was the last time someone outside of Granny Goodness, Desead and Grail got used in a meaningful way?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Granny Goodness, Glorious Godfrey and Baron Vunderbarr will never disappear because Darkseid has somehow managed to retain his primal power as a baddie across ages, able co-exist within the goofiest or goofy interpretations of the DCU and the more "realistic" takes on the DCU.

In other words, Teen Titans Go! and the Snyderverse can each exist without negating each other. I wouldn't recommend a team-up though

Actually, scratch that, I would love to see a Teen Titans Go Into the Snyderverse

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Probably depends on your sense of humor, I'd say .
    Agree,to disagree.I am gonna sit here,sip my coffee and watch people rack their brains out understanding the "complexity" of glasses Identity.
    *chuckles and winks at the camera
    seriously though,clark needs to have some satire.Even the articles he writes feel like it's missing the humor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The tone has changed.On the contrary though,satire is satire.It can be intelligent.I would say,It's more intelligent.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Honestly tone is overrated, some things are just timeless.
    Yeah - but I don't really view the glasses that way. Or the trunks.