Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Yeesh...that sounds like a situation that could go bad real fast if not written/edited with extreme care and caution. I still think better to jettison Stuart overall and put a new ghost in there, though who it could be, I have no idea. Maybe it'd be smart to use a DC character's ghost (like Sgt. Rock or one of the Losers) versus a real-life person, as a number of those tend to have their own problems tied to their legacy. Not sure I want to see Patton's ghost barking at a young tank driver.
    I own that run and there was nothing really out of the way. At least in the parts that I have read. I think the two wound up getting along in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Debates about capes and trunks aside, one character I thought of recently was General J.E.B. Stuart and the Haunted Tank. Given the reexamination of the Confederacy and what they represented, I don't think making a Confederate general a hero, even in ghost form, particularly works anymore...especially considering J.E.B. Stuart was a real guy who definitely fought against the "Northern Aggression." Maybe they should exorcise the Haunted Tank and put a different soldier ghost behind the wheel.
    I thought Power Company had the best solution - have the WWII tank commander from the original series haunting a modern tank driven by his descendant.

Astonishing Member

Yes but they don't tend to be Golden Age or even Silver Age concepts.

I feel like almost everyone from oh, Team Titans, or Bloodlines, that kind of era ... all feel truly outdated. I remember the 90s and that whole scene because I was the target audience and even I'm like, I don't even have nostalgia for them. There's likely to be some characters that are racially insensitive. Not necessarily the outright racist trope ones - those are morbid historical artifacts that should only be revived for very, very specific reasons (like Gene Yuang using the yellow-face Detective Comics figure in his New Superman for that reason specifically). But there are probably plenty that were just racially insensitive because of context or what was commonplace at the time. I'm a huge fan of cowboy fiction and understand in real history things were brutal and certain indian tribes scalped enemies and even I'm like "Scalphunter" is this guy's name? Now that said, I've never read a Scalphunter story so I don't know if he's just some brutal bounty hunter type who kills whitey for sport. That'd be a fresh take and a good place for some serious satire but somehow I doubt that's how they rolled with the depiction in the 70s during the Western Revival in popularity.

I think super-powers derived from your culture's mysticism are fine but that doesn't mean every culture is required to have their cultural heritage on total cliche display in their super-hero costume. Like, Batman teaming up with Man-of-Bats sure feels a lot more natural than Batman teaming up with Apache Chief. Did Chief have to rock the tanned leather and tassels, beads, and headband? And this goes on down the line forever. Sometimes a character is a cool character that just happens to tick a couple stereotype boxes - but sometimes they seem defined by the stereotype, and that's always going to end up outdated. There's nothing wrong with some internal logic in the world. A super-hero operating out of Tokyo might just wear gear that suits Japanese culture. European-ancestry super-heroes are constantly ensconced in "Knight" imagery so of course there's a Japanese Samurai tradition and various warrior castes from global local tradition will be all over super-heroing. But tread carefully or else you've got Racist Caricature the Character.

Also Alan Scott's costume.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Also Alan Scott's costume.
    Heretic! Burn the heretic! Burn!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nah Alan's costume's fine. Since he's from the 40s it's supposed to look dated. Now if he starts going trendy, then I'm scared, grandpa. Of course, all the 40s JSA costumes are fine too.