Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

B'Wana Beast has his issues, but they can easily be fixed. Change the first part of his name, adopt the origin they gave him on the Brave & the Bold cartoon, and lean into the goofier elements of the character. Boom, done.

And before anyone brings up Freedom Beast, there's no reason the two can't co-exist. Plus, Freedom Beast is about as interesting as drying paint.

I would say that Calendar Man is dated.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    And before anyone brings up Freedom Beast, there's no reason the two can't co-exist. Plus, Freedom Beast is about as interesting as drying paint.
    ^^^how dare you malign drying paint like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    ^^^This is guaranteed the funniest thing I will read today...

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No it's not but war is not cool today either, and I personally don't have a problem if the origin isn't cool. I like the simplicity, and down-to-earth-ness of him just being a test pilot.
    I don’t think being a test pilot will ever be a down to earth job, but I’m glad the character still works for you with only that. For me, I think it’s the combination of all the various elements of Hal’s backstory that make him sing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Superman but its feature not a flaw. A well done Superman feels outdated, other than couple Shonen anime Protagonist they don't build heroes like that anymore. I saw people gushing over the scene in Superman and Lois where he saves the kid from the car and I get why it works but feels alien today as well.
    Disagree - saving people from cars is never dated...well, not until all cars are self driving and accidents are things of the past...

Now, if you mean that "Thanks, my mom made it" line about his suit? I wouldn't judge Superman for a joke scene that mostly thrilled comic book nerds like us.

Congo Bill. Congorilla is a cool idea for a kaiju, a giant magical golden Ape is a dope concept, but something about Congo Bill element just does not sit right with me. Congo Bill feels sorta colonial white saviory to me, plus the idea of him hijacking Congorilla's body and then getting "trapped" in its body when his original body dies (meaning he straight up Get Out'd Congorilla) just is kinda cruel and iky to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    actually hilarious
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

No the geez goly gosh white knight smiling mannerly hero who saves day and gives out a positive message is what feels dated. And that is what Superman is at his essence, It feels completely right that Superman is that. Superman is genuine good dude doing good things for the right reasons and is trying to be a good role model. That is outdated because we like our heroes today with a little edge(or lot of edge) in fact I will use a sports example Russel Wilson is seen as cheesy or cornball by a lot of people, Just being a genuine good dude who loves his family and wants to be a good role model, that actually gets clowned. Like I said it is feature not flaw Superman at his best will feels a little cheesy or corny in contrast to some of today heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    No the geez goly gosh white knight smiling mannerly hero who saves day and gives out a positive message is what feels dated. And that is what Superman is at his essence, It feels completely right that Superman is that. Superman is genuine good dude doing good things for the right reasons and is trying to be a good role model. That is outdated because we like our heroes today with a little edge(or lot of edge) in fact I will use a sports example Russel Wilson is seen as cheesy or cornball by a lot of people, Just being a genuine good dude who loves his family and wants to be a good role model, that actually gets clowned. Like I said it is feature not flaw Superman at his best will feels a little cheesy or corny in contrast to some of today heroes.
    I agree with the 'geez goly gosh white knight" bit, but the rest? I don't think just genuine good people wanting to good is as dated as you think - I don't think it's dated at all.

]They updated KGBeast story to now be a freelance mercenary that has been hired by Penguin or Bane
    I know that. But he's still ex-KGB, last I heard. So bringing back a (now ex) KGB person didn't make sense to me, as in 20 years it'd be like "he's not old enough to be ex-KGB" (no slow aging at the time he was brought back).

Hal used to be in Korean War? Well the Green Lantern Secret Origin in 2005 never mention that. He's just a test pilot, after being fired from the air force
    Well, like most he's had several versions. He wasn't originally fired, of course. I really did like that better (less rule-breaker Hal, back when Guardians were good). The earliest I know of him being mentioned as having served in Korea was actually back during his wandering days, shortly after he left Ferris, though it was just an off-hand mention, and the kind of thing that time-slides away to me.

Yeah, where are we getting the idea that circuses are gone!?? They still exist and still travel. They aren't outside in tents around me.. but inside the local sport arena/civic center... but I literally saw trapeze artists 2 years ago. They didn't operate without a net... but then they weren't the flying graysons
    Gone, no, but dying. And I'm referring specifically to full circuses - trapeze artists, yes, but also clowns and animals. It's not that I think they don't exists, but I think they likely won't exist another 20 years (same with test pilots). But hey, I wouldn't be the first person to be wrong when trying to predict the future if they do.

As for Hal's military service. I don't think just having him serve in the Air Force is enough. Like I mentioned earlier, there's a big difference between being a fighter pilot now and being one during the Korean or Vietnam Wars (which Hal was a veteran of Post-Crisis). I think the character is missing something if he hasn't seen actual combat, which New Frontier was able to explore excellently. Having him flying around in million dollar jets for the world's largest military or do bombing raids on 3rd world countries doesn't really have the same vibe to me.
    I don't find those important at all. Didn't even occur to me, honestly, when reading the old comics, to do the math and see if he'd have served in actual combat. It wasn't mentioned in his comics at all that I recall, and at least wasn't majorly important to his story. He ware fearless, sure, but he was far more the responsible professional in the old days and much less "maverick" than he is later (again, I much prefer that, as it's so much less cliched), and I liked that we even saw his engineering skill earlier. Gave it more of a real pilot version that had lots of school-book study (though admittedly, I'm not positive how far back that goes).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-25-2021 at 05:24 AM.

Any kind of wealthy playboy or scientist type character are kind of starting to feel a bit outdated for me because it feels like there's too many of them. There are not that many fighter pilots in comics(I think), but I believe the brilliant inventor type who's also the heir of a vast fortune and irresistible to women is just kind of losing its luster.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Any kind of wealthy playboy or scientist type character are kind of starting to feel a bit outdated for me because it feels like there's too many of them.
    Well, I'd call that more oversaturated that outdated.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Any kind of wealthy playboy or scientist type character are kind of starting to feel a bit outdated for me because it feels like there's too many of them. There are not that many fighter pilots in comics(I think), but I believe the brilliant inventor type who's also the heir of a vast fortune and irresistible to women is just kind of losing its luster.
    The whole test pilot turned superhero was much more common back in the 50s & 60s, but there’s still a few left. Hal is easily DC’s most prominent test pilot, but there’s also Larry Trainor from the Doom Patrol and Ace Morgan from the Challengers of the Unknown. Marvel has Ben Grimm from the Fantastic Four and Carol Danvers. Hell, one of the biggest problems the writers of the Captain Marvel movie had was how to differentiate Carol from Hal given their origins are almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Well, I'd call that more oversaturated that outdated.
    I think it's both. The alpha male handsome rich dude with the heart of gold, brilliant mind, phenomenal physique and of course tragic background, all of that feels kind of tiresome at this point.

It's funny, I remember as a kid stumbling upon that goofy Night Man TV show and how odd it was that he was a saxophonist in his everyday life. To this day I don't think there are rarely any musician superheroes. I guess Black Canary is now, but who else.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-25-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

A good number of the member Global Guardians, the Batman of All Nations and similar international Groups are just pretty lame stereotypes.

And probably the whole Nation of Markovia.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-25-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Any character who is not a member of any specific culture but adopts their symbols or becomes better than the natives at their own culture, won't be accepted in the current climate.

Any character who fits the Dragon Lady archetype has to be revamped. I think femme fatales are still popular though.
    This right here. That was from a time when the "exotic aesthetic" was cool, but they still wanted a white character.

And all Dragon Ladies in DC are essentially all the same character.