Thread: Raiders' 40th

Default Raiders' 40th

Kind of curious if Disney will do anything. I'm not sure if we'll see a 4K release on Disney+ anytime soon, since I'm pretty sure Paramount still owns the distribution rights to the first four films (and presumabely YIJ), so any 4K stuff would have to go through them. There are rumors that Paramount is planning for a release of at least Raiders though.

Of course there's also the Bethesda video game, although it's unclear when that will be released.

Not expecting any special action figures or anything; the 2008 line kind of flopped I think, with some of the later waves being extremely limited or con-exclusive due to poor sales. While Star Wars has a lot of toy potential, Indiana Jones is of course a bit more grounded in "real life" and history so it doesn't quite have the kid appeal at least merchandise-wise, outside of premium stuff for collectors.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-26-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

They've just announced a 4K release for the four films.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    very cool. are the films part of Paramount Plus or Disney Plus?

Still one of the greatest films ever, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    very cool. are the films part of Paramount Plus or Disney Plus?
    Paramount+

Every day is a gift, not a given right.

It's a disc release, I'm not sure if they're doing a streaming release as well.

While Disney has the home video rights to all Star Wars since they purchased Fox who held those rights before, although they own Indy as a Lucasfilm property the home video rights are still paramount's.

On a funny side note, I just found out that Kathleen Kennedy actually cameos in Temple of Doom-she's one of the dancing girls in the silver outfits and blond wigs in the tap-dance portion of Anything Goes. Good luck finding her though, although I think she might be the first one who gets the red scarf pulled from her.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-17-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Still one of the greatest films ever, imo.
    I was sixteen. It hit me hard! Maybe even moreso than Star Wars did when I was 12.

Extraordinary Member

Loved Raiders. Such a great film. Me and my friends saw it at the theater when it came out. When it was released on VHS (yes, VHS), it was shown at the Youth Center of my church.

What does everyone think about The Big Bang Theory saying that Indy had no bearing on the outcome of the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    What does everyone think about The Big Bang Theory saying that Indy had no bearing on the outcome of the movie?
    Accurate up until the ark is opened. After that, not so much. The big difference is that the ark would be still sitting on an island in the middle of the ocean somewhere rather than being locked away in a government vault of mysteries.

Still a great story. Its kind of like a lot of the Star Wars movies - the good guys often totally fail but in the end its fate (or the force) that wins the day.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-19-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

It's possible that the Flying Wing would've taken the Ark to Germany had Indy not destroyed it (and even then Dietrich wanted to "Fly it out of Cairo" until Indy intercepted the truck). So the U-boat was pretty much plan C. Maybe Belloq was a bit too wary of Jones possibly showing up again that he figured he'd get it over with.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-19-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Three films, you mean.

with the 4K releases, will there be bonus footage, deleted scenes? Is Steven Spielberg into that sort of thing? Documentaries about the production?

Boisterously Confused

IMO, Raiders is the best of the lot, and by quite a long chalk. The others (except KotCS) weren't bad, but they never got close to the original. It seemed almost like Lucas and Spielberg were embarrassed to take their creation as seriously as they did the first time out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    with the 4K releases, will there be bonus footage, deleted scenes? Is Steven Spielberg into that sort of thing? Documentaries about the production?
    It's kind of weird because the Indiana Jones Blu-rays "sort of" had deleted scenes, but they were sort of mixed in with the documentaries and never really shown in full, which was disappointing. Apart from documentaries, I think Spielberg is sort of famously known for not being a big fan of audio commentaries on his movies.

Raiders solves some of the mystery of how Indy made it to the island by having him basically hold on to the periscope (explains why he's extremely wet and has to change once he gets there).

Temple of Doom in particular has one that explains how Willie, who appears to escape when Short Round is captured, is re-captured. She basically makes it back up to the palace, and tries to warn Chatter Lal about the whole thing, only to find out he's in on it.

Another scene involves Short Round figuring out how to break the black sleep when a Thugee burns himself and comes to his senses.

Last Crusade has a few, including an actor apart from Connery playing Henry Jones in the opening 1912 scene (pretty sure it's Connery's voice dubbed in the final cut). There was also a lot more to the blimp sequence that was cut. It would've given Pat Roach-who fought Indy in various roles in Raiders and Temple of Doom (Most recognizably as the chief mechanic and the Thugee guard leader) something to do-since the 'big fight scene' in this movie already went to Vogel.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-21-2021 at 10:53 AM.