Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: European Comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max Aero View Post
    I was lucky that Euro comics were my intro to comics in general, for the purpose of learning French (Tintin, Asterix) and Italian (Martin Mystere, Tex).
    Whoa, this is a great idea. I've been wanting to learn French and using the Duolingo app on my phone, but I always get distracted, but maybe comic books will be more motivation.

Only read a few euro-comics but its fun exploring.

Currently reading Blacksad which is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Whoa, this is a great idea. I've been wanting to learn French and using the Duolingo app on my phone, but I always get distracted, but maybe comic books will be more motivation.
    Awesome. Just don't get something too dialogue-dense to start. Tintin and Asterix are so good for this I was introduced to them through elementary-school. Jason comics would probably be good for learning French too (if you have access to em).

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

My favorite euro comic creators is Didier Chrispeels and Nicolas Kéramidas. I wonder why cartoony art styles are more excepted in Europe then here?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    My favorite euro comic creators is Didier Chrispeels and Nicolas Kéramidas. I wonder why cartoony art styles are more excepted in Europe then here?
    I think it's more that there's a stigma in N. America against cartoony art being 1) for children and 2) inherently inferior, not as skilled because it appears simpler (this is usually opposite). I dunno where that got started but it's for sure not as prevalent in Europe. Maybe because they're more familiar with and influenced by ligne claire.

I was lucky that Euro comics were my intro to comics in general, for the purpose of learning French (Tintin, Asterix) and Italian (Martin Mystere, Tex).

I wish more 'Dylan Dog' got translated, the whole series is really good horror, Angelo Stano's art/covers are like Hugo Pratt x Egon Schiele. I'd like to see more Italian comics reaching English audiences in general, although I think Martin Mystere might be too ridiculous.

Attachment 988

Overall I think access to Euro comics has gotten a lot better, things like Blacksad and Siegfried are pretty popular. That can only be good. My favourite thing from Dark Horse was Daniel Torres' 'Rocco Vargas'. It's hard to track down, but the art is really slick and it's a sort of sci-fi we don't see in N. America.
    I've been lucky that Dylan Dog, Martin Mystere and a lot of Bonelli was translated into my local language, i grew up with them basically.
    They are both good but Dylan Dog is my favorite, not all stories are great, but most of it is, ofc i'm talking early years, recently i tried some new stuff and quality was not like it used to be, but that's understandable.
    About Rocco Vargas, there are 3 HCs on amazon, there are no numbers on books, so i assume release year should be a good point how to read?
    http://www.amazon.com/Rocco-Vargas-F.../dp/1569715823

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    torpedo - abuli and bernet on a gritty 1930's crime tale
    Hey, i'm wondering, since i've read only first few stories, loved it, is quality consistent through the end? i'm asking to see if that big collection sheduled for july is worth it, or i should maybe go with single HCs?

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    About Rocco Vargas, there are 3 HCs on amazon, there are no numbers on books, so i assume release year should be a good point how to read?
    Yeah, but they're also pretty self-contained stories. There's another Rocco book from DH printed even earlier simply titled Rocco Vargas that collects 4 of the earlier stories, that hardcover contains a lot more back story than the others, but it's pretty hard to find - I got it from a library sale (there's a .cbr somewhere though). It's also got a ton of cool concept art for each story, and an article written by Vargas 'himself'.
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/47-584/Rocco-Vargas-HC

Some of those Bonelli books have been around forever. I wonder what they could still be doing with Tex Willer after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    is quality consistent through the end?
    I'd say so. They experiment just a bit more in some stories with humour or composition, but it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlofthepacific View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread - I was beginning to fear that every place I liked to check out on CBR had vanished!

Haven't actually laid eyes on a copy of The Incal, sadly.
    I own both the Epic editions and a hardcover edition, both in English. Try haunting eBay for a while - one or the other will turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by king mob View Post
    It's worth pointing out Humanoids now has a UK publishing arm so it can translate a lot of work from mainland Europe (as well as create new work) into English, and therefore into the English speaking market via the UK.
    Have you heard anything about Moebius reissues? New English editions of Enki Bilal's "Dormant Beast" tetralogy (the one with December 32nd, The Dormant Beast, Rendezvous a Paris and Quatre?) would also be completely fantastic, as I own the latter two volumes in French only and they are a tough read for me.

I'm not sure why Moebius in particular hasn't had reissues. We are talking about arguably one of the top three cartoonists of the 20th century and his stuff is nearly impossible to find. I own all the Epic editions plus a bunch of French-only stuff but I'm afraid to keep reading them indefinitely as I don't know if I'll ever be able to get them replaced if something bad happens to them.

Nothing new has come up. There were talks but that's all

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Have you heard anything about Moebius reissues? New English editions of Enki Bilal's "Dormant Beast" tetralogy (the one with December 32nd, The Dormant Beast, Rendezvous a Paris and Quatre?) would also be completely fantastic, as I own the latter two volumes in French only and they are a tough read for me.

I'm not sure why Moebius in particular hasn't had reissues. We are talking about arguably one of the top three cartoonists of the 20th century and his stuff is nearly impossible to find. I own all the Epic editions plus a bunch of French-only stuff but I'm afraid to keep reading them indefinitely as I don't know if I'll ever be able to get them replaced if something bad happens to them.
    There is a rumor that Moebius's widow refuses to allow his books to be released in English, although I don't know how much truth there is to that.

No that's true. She work the business side for Moebius.

it's that she doesn't see the us market as being financially viable and didn't think the money would come in. Also some personal stuff was at play too
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/

A blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art.

Yeah, but they're also pretty self-contained stories. There's another Rocco book from DH printed even earlier simply titled Rocco Vargas that collects 4 of the earlier stories, that hardcover contains a lot more back story than the others, but it's pretty hard to find - I got it from a library sale (there's a .cbr somewhere though). It's also got a ton of cool concept art for each story, and an article written by Vargas 'himself'.
    http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/47-584/Rocco-Vargas-HC

Some of those Bonelli books have been around forever. I wonder what they could still be doing with Tex Willer after all these years.

I'd say so. They experiment just a bit more in some stories with humour or composition, but it's all good.
    ah, 1998 edition, tnx for pointing me to another treasure hunt eheh.
    Tex Willer was not my favourite, but you have a point, Bonelli tend to milk his cows for far to long.
    There is one comic series that i really recommend if there is, or will be english translation - Ken Parker by Giancarlo Berardi, it has ups and downs but overall outstanding series really.

btw. my local publishing house is releasing another Moebius box-set after 'metal years', and i'm soo going to buy this, previous box-set is one of the nicest things i own.

http://www.fibra.hr/index.asp?cat=6&...33&TitleID=286

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    No that's true. She work the business side for Moebius.

it's that she doesn't see the us market as being financially viable and didn't think the money would come in. Also some personal stuff was at play too
    Yes, I've heard this too. Maybe Isabelle Giraud doesn't realise that English language editions would sell in more places besides the US? Like all Commonwealth countries, Scandinavia, etc.? It's particularly galling as the translations already exist - Lofficier did them for the Epic editions in the '80s. All they need to do is reissue them in hardcover. There is an established publisher, Humanoids, who is just salivating at the prospect. I just don't understand what the issue is here.

Everybody! Read David Rubín's El Héroe when Dark Horse publishes it. One of the best fantasy comics in Europe.