Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: European Comics

Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

I must recommend XIII, brilliant comic
    Agree. One of the first TPBs that I just HAD to buy more than one of. I started reading Largo Winch, and it's amusing and good, but doesn't pull me in the same way. I'd like to read more of Lady S than I have, though.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pearlofthepacific View Post
    Agree. One of the first TPBs that I just HAD to buy more than one of. I started reading Largo Winch, and it's amusing and good, but doesn't pull me in the same way.
    Largo Winch seems more intended as light, 1980s James Bondian power fantasy -- whereas XIII sees itself more like a 1970s political thriller.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    Even better, it has Jones.
    Jones kick ass!

btw. does anyone know are there any english translations of Carlos Giménez? some collected work edition would be awesome

Neither chicken nor egg. Dizzy D's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostwise View Post
    Largo Winch seems more intended as light, 1980s James Bondian power fantasy -- whereas XIII sees itself more like a 1970s political thriller.
    I generally like Largo Winch a bit more, but it is at it's best when it's games of follow the money around. I like issues 3 and 4 (Public Takeover Bid, Business Blues) the best, because while there is a bit of murder/terrorism as a plot, the main plot is Winch trying to take over a compant while that company is doing the same to Winch.

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    Hey, i'm wondering, since i've read only first few stories, loved it, is quality consistent through the end? i'm asking to see if that big collection sheduled for july is worth it, or i should maybe go with single HCs?
    re: torpedo
    sorry, just seeing this now. i'm only through the first three volumes (have 4 & 5 whenever i get around to them) and i think it's been consistently good. i think it would be safe to say if you liked the first few stories, you'd like the rest.
    formerly 'weeks'

Amazing Member pearlofthepacific's Avatar

Winch trying to take over a company while that company is doing the same to Winch.
    Thanks! I am going to have to investigate further! I was attracted to Largo Winch in the first place because there are so few comics that play around with the world of business (I mean, apart from "Big Bad Tycoon" villains).

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    re: torpedo
    sorry, just seeing this now. i'm only through the first three volumes (have 4 & 5 whenever i get around to them) and i think it's been consistently good. i think it would be safe to say if you liked the first few stories, you'd like the rest.
    tnx

interesting exhibition:

http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/comics-unmasked
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27526796

Astonishing Member

Has anyone read this before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logicomix

I found it in the Harvard bookstore, and it was the only comic I could find there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Has anyone read this before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logicomix

I found it in the Harvard bookstore, and it was the only comic I could find there.
    Read it recently. Highly recommended. Brief "thoughts" on it:-
    Story: Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos Papadimitriou. Artwork: Alecos Papadatos and Annie Di Donna.

Given the subject matter of this graphic novel (Betrand Russell’s early life, and his part in the quest for mathematical certainty in the 20th century) I’ve no idea how to persuade anybody to consider reading it.

But its very, very absorbing. It portrays Russell as an immensely sympathetic character, showing how his remorseless search for truth partly came about because of his innate character, but also partly because of his extraordinary childhood.

I was in mood for something a bit different, so decided to give this a chance even though I thought story might be a wee bit obscure. But the way the story is told makes it pretty straightforward to follow.

The way the artist manages to capture the true individuality of the key characters and show them as intensely human is one reason why I can’t imagine this story being so gripping in any other media. (Its true comic book art, none of that photo realistic tosh.)

A wonderful riposte, I think, to all those merchants of doom that proclaim comics are on the way out whenever DC or Marvel super hero comic sales are struggling. No chance… because sometimes there’s no better way to tell a story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Story: Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos Papadimitriou. Artwork: Alecos Papadatos and Annie Di Donna.

Given the subject matter of this graphic novel (Betrand Russell’s early life, and his part in the quest for mathematical certainty in the 20th century) I’ve no idea how to persuade anybody to consider reading it.

But its very, very absorbing. It portrays Russell as an immensely sympathetic character, showing how his remorseless search for truth partly came about because of his innate character, but also partly because of his extraordinary childhood.

I was in mood for something a bit different, so decided to give this a chance even though I thought story might be a wee bit obscure. But the way the story is told makes it pretty straightforward to follow.

The way the artist manages to capture the true individuality of the key characters and show them as intensely human is one reason why I can’t imagine this story being so gripping in any other media. (Its true comic book art, none of that photo realistic tosh.)

A wonderful riposte, I think, to all those merchants of doom that proclaim comics are on the way out whenever DC or Marvel super hero comic sales are struggling. No chance… because sometimes there’s no better way to tell a story.
    Thanks a lot.

Yeah it's interesting because you would never get this kind of story told in a comic book in the American industry. I only briefly skimmed the book, but it seemed underwhelming because all the panels were on people when it could have done something unique with the mathematics aspects, but maybe that could have been on the dry said. I'll have to check it out again.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Great comment. I read Russell's biography some time back and it was an incredible read, one of the great personalities of the 20th century. The whole story of Principia Mathematica is kind of tragic, all that work and Godel tore it down with a brief paper.

And yeah, too many people think comics = superheroes, but what can you do.

Recently read Yukiko's Spinach. It was pretty good even if a bit quick.
    I've also been reading Jason's (the Norwegian cartoonist) work, which is gold.
    BB

Now you got me interested about this Logicomix, in queue..