Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This all comes down to the approach for me. Historically, Supergirl has almost never managed to sustain an ongoing solo title for long. I'll give it a shot, as I have for every other Supergirl title they've tried, but my hopes are not particularly high.

Maybe, one day, someone will crack the code and figure out how to make Supergirl work as a solo character without lifting elements wholesale from Superman, but I haven't seen it done yet.
    Well, she had a fairly long ongoing during Post-Crisis (just talking Kara Zor-El here), even if she did mine the Superman mythos...but I mean, she's part of the franchise and it didn't get as obvious as the show, so I don't think it was too bad.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Peter David would like a word with you in the kitchen...
    Ha! Yeah, it's kind of ironic that PAD's run is probably the longest a Supergirl solo book and he managed to do it with the convoluted mess that was the Post-Crisis incarnation of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, she had a fairly long ongoing during Post-Crisis (just talking Kara Zor-El here), even if she did mine the Superman mythos...but I mean, she's part of the franchise and it didn't get as obvious as the show, so I don't think it was too bad.
    Kara and Kal are inevitably going to overlap given they both have strong ties to Krypton and House El, so I don’t mind it too much when they share stuff.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Kara and Kal are inevitably going to overlap given they both have strong ties to Krypton and House El, so I don’t mind it too much when they share stuff.
    Sharing elements is perfectly fine. It's when they outright "steal Superman stories and file the serial numbers off" as the Supergirl writers room freely admitted to doing when I get annoyed.

This isn't exclusive to Kara either. I was equally annoyed when Bendis retconned away Clark's time with the LSH to give it to Jon. Strip-mining elements from the lead character in order to prop up spin-off characters is something that I've never enjoyed, be it Superman or Hal Jordan. It speaks poorly of both the creators and the spin-off characters themselves.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 02-26-2021 at 01:17 AM.

Sharing elements is perfectly fine. It's when they outright "steal Superman stories and file the serial numbers off" as the Supergirl writers room freely admitted to doing when I get annoyed.

This isn't exclusive to Kara either. I was equally annoyed when Bendis retconned away Clark's time with the LSH to give it to Jon. Strip-mining elements from the lead character in order to prop up spin-off characters is something that I've never enjoyed, be it Superman or Hal Jordan. It speaks poorly of both the creators and the spin-off characters themselves.
    On that I can agree, not a fan of strip mining Clark’s stuff for the rest, especially given how much I hate when the other Superfamily members get turned into Clark clones. That said I’m ok with doing FTMWHE for Kara because I think the basic setup for that story works just as well for her as it does for him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Ha! Yeah, it's kind of ironic that PAD's run is probably the longest a Supergirl solo book and he managed to do it with the convoluted mess that was the Post-Crisis incarnation of the character.
    And it actually sold well! The poor book was one of the early victims of Dido's knee-jerk reactions upon his ascent...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Yeah, but I feel like the TV version is more guilty than the comic version in my opinion.

Yeah, but I feel like the TV version is more guilty than the comic version in my opinion.
    Absolutely, but I think the only way this character will succeed is by being her own superhero. Hell, I'd argue that PAD's book was successful because it wasn't relying on the Superman connections, but was doing its own thing. The main problem is that the character's origins were too convoluted and not as streamlined and elegant as the Kara Zor-El incarnation has, which is why Didio dropped the axe and pulled the trigger on Loeb & Turner's creepy jail bait version.

I think if PAD had been given Kara Zor-El from the get-go, his run would have had far less trouble. Unfortunately, editorial kept insisting on cheesecake art on books that should have been geared towards female readers.

One source of concern for me: If this is launching in June, and PKJ’s Superevent takes place in Sept, does that mean Supergirl is going to get one arc done before rushing into a crossover? DC doesn’t seem to have learned from their mistakes in that regard which is how we get Suicide Squad and Teen Titans Academy crossing over after 3 issues.

One source of concern for me: If this is launching in June, and PKJ’s Superevent takes place in Sept, does that mean Supergirl is going to get one arc done before rushing into a crossover? DC doesn’t seem to have learned from their mistakes in that regard which is how we get Suicide Squad and Teen Titans Academy crossing over after 3 issues.
    Even Marvel is prone to launching a title with an event tie-in/crossover.

It's the ugly nature of the beast...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

All of the companies problems in a nutshell...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Even Marvel is prone to launching a title with an event tie-in/crossover.

It's the ugly nature of the beast...
    Basically ruined SWORD for me after a great first issue. I don’t like or care about Knull and I didn’t want to read him so I dropped the book. I guess it depends on the nature of the Superevent if Supergirl does end up tying into it.